Counted our change jar

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Jennifer707's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer707
So, before my dh and I had Hannah, we saved all of our change and $1.00 bills and put them in a glass jar. I am shocked that we had enough discipline never to use it. Well, since having our daughter, we very rarely have any extra change or $1.00 bills. We usually use our debit cards and hardly ever carry cash. We kinda put it in the back of the closet and forgot about...until we found it the other day while cleaning. We rolled all the change and took the $1.00 bills to the bank and cashed them into larger bills (just for the fun of it). We now have:

6- $100.00 bills
2- $20.00 bills
1- 10.00 bill
and some left over change

Total = $653.45!!!!!!!

It was a nice surprise.

*Edited b/c I suck at spelling.

December 16th, 2007, 07:08 AM
CBMS
holy crud!

When I was a waitress and a single mom (when my oldest was little, I was pg. with my second, and until I got married to my current husband)... I always put my change into a jar. By the end of the month, it was enough to pay my electric and water and usually have some left... I love change.
December 16th, 2007, 09:21 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Wow!

I love the change jar... we fill up a quart jar about every six months, usually collecting around $70.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
gctattoo
That's awesome!

I've never been able to save up much change. Before we had Alisha, I was big into using up any and all change we had in the house. I was the lady in the checkout line with the little change purse. The people at Amscot (a place where I get my money orders) hated me because I would use all my pennies on them. Because I hate them too.

Now that we have Alisha, we save our change ,except the laundry quarters, for her bank account. We put it in her piggy bank that DH's sister got her and then I take it out and roll it and deposit it about once a month or so. She's up to about $75 in the bank so far.
December 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
CBMS
LOL, Teri... I used to go to the post office to get my money orders... they LOVED me. They knew that they were set for change and small bills for a few days when I walked in the door. At that time, I was getting a 300.00 m.o. for my rent (with 5's and 1's), an 89.00 m.o. for my insurance, a m.o. for my water bill (varied; usually about 20 bucks), and a m.o. with whatever I had to save for myself (yes; I made money orders out to myself as a "savings." ).

They loved me, I say... It was a pain to count it all out, but they always thanked me for the small bills and change.
December 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! Saving the spare $1 would really add up fast! We save our change too-we usually end up with about $20/onth in change, just from using cash. We usually cash in it for vacation. It's nice to have a little extra!
December 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Ben and I both save change religiously. I get really excited about having change to throw in the jar. I actually have a couple different ones for different things, and I just throw it in which ever I'm closest to when I empty my pockets. I often refer to it as my 'poor people savings account'.
December 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NICE!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search