I just got 75 moving boxes for...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Jennifer707's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer707
FREE!!!!!!

I found an ad on Craigslist yesterday for free moving boxes. It had only been posted for 20 minutes and I noticed below the ad people were requesting moving boxes for days. I called the guy and he we could come pick them up...but it was first come first serve type thing. I wanted to get them asap b/c I knew how many people were looking for them. So...I took one car w/ Hannah and my dh took the other. We have like the two smallest cars ever made, so we thought we could get half of the 75...if that. Some how my amazing dh was able to fit ALL the boxes in the cars! They are also really nice boxes...three different sizes...doubled layered. Now we should have enough boxes to move with in April!!!!

Would you all use boxes someone else has used previously? I didnt think anything of it until my mother said t was just dirty of us to use other people's "trash". They could have bugs and blah, blah, blah. I mean it is seriously like $400 worth of boxes if we had purchased them at a moving store...especially being doubled layered. I dont know...what do you all think?

December 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM
CBMS
If it's dirty, then I guess I'm just a pig. I go and get boxes out of the big cardboard recycling bins all the time. And I buy people's reject stuff at garage sales. Ah well... a penny saved...

December 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
gctattoo
How are moving boxes such a dirty thing? I don't get it. I get skeeved out at the thought of sitting on second-hand upholstered furniture, but that's because you have no idea what has been absorbed into the material. It's a cardboard box for crying out loud. You can obviously see if it's dirty or gross. Just seems a rather odd thing to be worried about IMO.
December 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Jennifer707's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer707
I dont get it either. Its a friggin box. Not everyone in the world can afford brand new everything like my mother can. We are very happpy that someone was willing to give them to us at no cost. My mother can be such a snob sometimes!

December 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
gctattoo
I got free boxes for years since I spent most of my ladult ife working at coffee shops. All I had to do was empty out whatever box I wanted and lug it home. Once I quit working, I couldn't believe I actually had to buy boxes. What was the world coming to?
December 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never bought a box in my life. I'm not going to be eating my lunch in it, so I don't see a problem with it.
December 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I guess we're all just dirty girls. When we moved here we used all recycled boxes from a crazy number of sources. I had boxes people had used to move 3 or 4 times before we got them. I had boxes from Best Buy. I had boxes from the fruit market. I had boxes from Save A Lot, and my favorite, straight from the dumpster. No one will die from reusing a cardboard box. My goodness.

And Teri, we have second hand upolstered furniture all over this house. I know the feeling you mean, though. I always make Ben steam clean the pieces before we use them.
December 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I would use them. I don't think it is dirty.

This is probably unethical of me but....
I went on usps.com and ordered a ton of different sizes priority mail boxes (they are free) and I used those to move my stuff. They worked great. Shhhhhhh don't tell the post office I didn't use them for their correct purpose!

December 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would use them. I don't think it is dirty.

This is probably unethical of me but....
I went on usps.com and ordered a ton of different sizes priority mail boxes (they are free) and I used those to move my stuff. They worked great. Shhhhhhh don't tell the post office I didn't use them for their correct purpose! [/b]
Oh boy that's going to make me not sleep tonight
December 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I would never pay for boxes. I got boxes at the store, for free when I thought we were moving and when we didn't I listed them on Freecycle and people came and got them.

If you do get worried about it... spray the inside of the box with some roach killer before you use them. Not that you want that near your stuff either. I lived in an apartment that was infested. My mom told me, just spray your boxes briefly before you pack them. I took not one roach with me. Not one... well a couple of dead ones. Worked.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd say it's okay!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search