Alisha had her well-baby checkup today

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
gctattoo
Everything looks good except for one thing-- can you believe this child hasn't gained any weight in 7 months?! She was twenty pounds at her 9 month checkup and at 16 months, still the same! She doesn't eat an exorbitant amount, but she eats until she refuses more. So I just don't know what the deal is. The nurse seemed concerned about it. But the doctor basically chalked it up to her being so active and burning off all her calories. I told the doc how I've started giving her the Nutripals shakes to help her gain and she said that it's a good idea to do one per day. Good thing I have all those EB's.

Oh, how Alisha screamed as soon as she was put on the scale and realized where she was and what she was in for. Two shots today and she didn't like them one bit. She puts up a pretty good fight. At her last appointment, it took three adults to hold her down to clean her ears. She's one feisty baby.

We went to Dairy Queen afterwards and Miss Alisha got a hot fudge sundae to ease the trauma of her doctor visit.
December 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
CBMS
Awwww... poor baby...

Maddie went a loooooooong time without gaining, too, and then all of a sudden, BAM! She caught up and she's growing like a weed right now. Just let her eat when she's hungry. That's all you can do. Can't hold her down and force it down her throat.

do you give her the nutripals bars at all? I have some that my picky girl won't eat--you want them? They're the strawberry yogurt kind... otherwise, they'll probably sit in the pantry until they go bad...
December 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope the Nutripals chunk her up.

Oh and Dairy Queen has the power to ease all offenses, including dr. visits. Wise choice.

December 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
gctattoo
I haven't tried the bars yet. I'm one of those overprotective moms who's afraid of her choking on the least little thing. Especially with a child who can choke on air. But I'll give 'em a whirl if you don't want them. How many do you have and what you want for them?
December 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How is her height? I can't believe she didn't gain anything in 7 months! Where does she fall on the %age chart? What does she like to eat? Will she eat cream cheese? I am convinced that is what keeps my kiddo up on his weight-he loves the stuff and would eat it plain if I let him!!
December 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
That DQ should help chunk her up a bit! I would guess too that the no weight gain is due to being more active. Also if she is doing a lot more she may not be as interested in sitting and eating....why sit and eat when there is a whole house to terrorize!!!! lol Paige will be 2 on Jan 26th and only weighs 15lbs 15oz so Alisha definitely has her beat.

December 19th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow I can't believe she didn't gain anything in 7 months. Those shakes should help, and maybe an extra visit to DQ sometimes.

Corey turned 2 in October and he's 26 pounds
December 19th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Corey turned 2 in October and he's 26 pounds [/b]
The little boys on here definitely have those skinny minny girls beat! The kiddo was 29 pounds at his 2 year visit and fluctuates from 28-30 depending on the day. He loves to stand on our digital scale!
December 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I haven't tried the bars yet. I'm one of those overprotective moms who's afraid of her choking on the least little thing. Especially with a child who can choke on air. But I'll give 'em a whirl if you don't want them. How many do you have and what you want for them?[/b]

There's one full box, plus at least one or two... I don't want anything for them, silly. I can't believe you'll give the child lettuce, but not those bars. silly, I say...
December 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
gctattoo
Kris-- she's 33 inches. She was 20.5 in. when she was born. I have no clue where she is in the percentile.

She eats mainly breakfast foods--pancakes, waffles, toaster sticks, eggs. Lots of fruit; she's a fruit junkie. She also likes lunch meat, cheese, mac & cheese, freeze-dried corn, yogurt, salad. She doesn't like dinner type foods very much. Occasionally, I can sneak a couple bites in there. She hasn't tried cream cheese. I do have bagels to put it on, but I'm afraid of her choking on the bagels. She's a stuffer.

Kim-- thanks! And her lettuce is chopped up into little pieces like the rest of her food. Except I have been giving her the mini waffles whole lately and she's been okay with those.
December 19th, 2007, 06:27 AM
CBMS
mmmmmmmmmmm....

I want a bagel. Blueberry. With cream cheese. YUM. I think I'm getting it right now...
December 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe if she grew taller since the last checkup than it would seem like she didn't gain any weight.

Roger's a light weight too. He's almost two and has been hovering around 25 pounds for a while.
December 19th, 2007, 07:08 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
sounds like Anastasia! She's gained only 13 oz in 6 months, and weighs 16 lbs 12 oz. They have her on Pediatric drinks (like pediasure) to try to fatten her up. They are afraid she can't gain weight. I have nutripals bars too that Anastasia won't touch. *sigh*

I bet everything is fine with our children, they are just tiny!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM
CBMS
I think you're right Beth. Maddie was stuck for so long at just under 20 pounds... and after she FINALLY made it over 20, she had a huge spurt. That age is coming up for your girls (the age the spurt began). In four months, she gained 3 pounds and grew 3 inches! Now she's finally up to about 23 pounds (which is still on the small side, really).

I think we have busy babies that do eat, but are blessed with that metabolism that we would kill for.

By the way... I have pretty much stopped the nutrition drinks since she got to 20 lbs... I still give them to her on occasion, but not daily anymore. And she had that spurt in spite of being [mostly] weaned from the drinks.
December 19th, 2007, 07:21 AM
gctattoo
April's little girl, Carly, is the same way. I do think we just have the petite babies with the high metabolism. I used to be like that. I remember barely topping 50 lbs. when I was about 11 years old. My siblings called me the "albino Ethiopian"-- deathly pale and super skinny.

I tried everything to gain weight when I was in my teens/twenties. The heaviest I ever was until I went on the pill at age 26 was 107 lbs. And I'm 5'5" so my ideal weight is supposed to be 130-140. Once I went on the pill, I gained approx. 35 lbs. over the course of a few months. And I've never been that thin again. I topped out at 169 when I was pregnant and worked my way back down to 136 right now. The weight is fine; it's just in odd places so it looks bad.
December 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
CBMS
Can I just say piss off?

I had lost weight and still started out over your top weight at BIRTH! When I got skinny a couple years ago (and then promptly got knocked up), my lightest weight was 133. I then gained tons of weight with Maddie (45 lbs, after having already put a little back on because I wasn't at the gym every day anymore)... I was just as heavy as the day she was born (after getting BACK to the gym and finally starting to lose weight) when I got knocked up again.

I will be back to Curves again this time... hopefully losing weight better/faster than after Maddie... If I could get down to under 150, I'd be happy... and I'm only 5'3".
December 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
you can both shut it, I havent seen 150 in years

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
December 19th, 2007, 08:48 AM
CBMS
Quote:
you can both shut it, I havent seen 150 in years[/b]

Me either... not since pregnancy with my almost 2-year-old...

December 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No I mean YEARS, since high school maybe

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
December 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
My friend, who I think honestly means well by it, will come over and look at my high school photo's and tell me how chunky I used to be. I wasn't super skinny in HS, but I don't think I was that bad. I was 130 lbs and 5'4. Now I'm about 117 lbs. My problem, though, is once I lose weight I have a really hard time putting it back on and I can't stop. Before I got pregnant with Anastasia I was 113 lbs and my friends held an intervention thinking I was anorexic. I lose the weight in my face first and I have high cheek bones so I end up looking gaunt.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search