OT-I hate idiots that can't draw blood

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went this morning to get my blood taken to check my thyroid. The guy looks at my right arm and decides to try, mind you I told him they usually have trouble. He sticks me once, and nothing happens. He tries the other arm and I'm thinking to myself how much I want to stab him with a needle. He can't get anything, and starts to move the needle around then he says "Hmm you're a tough one, let me get my supervisor" The supervisor comes and takes it from my hand with the butterfly needle no problem.

My arms look awful right now, and it only happened 20 minutes ago He will not be touching me with a needle ever again. I know not everyone can get it on the 1st try, but moving the needle around like that was too much for me.

I hope that's not a sign of me having a bad day
December 19th, 2007, 04:45 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
UGH! Sorry that sucks. I hate it when that happens to. I always go to the same person at the lab near me. I won't let anyone else do it. One time when I was in the ER they moved the needle around like that OUCH!!!!!!

December 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
CBMS
Ugh. I'm so sorry.

I am so glad I have good veins. I actually had a chick go straight through and blow my vein in a BIG way when I was in labor with Maddie. I was pissed. She should have known WAY before going all the way through that she was there--my veins are freaking HUGE!

December 19th, 2007, 06:44 AM
gctattoo
I'm to the point where I hate getting blood drawn. And I'm the one who doesn't mind needles and it used to never hurt. But apparently my veins have gone to crap and/or I've encountered the worst phlebotomists in the world lately. There is one lady at the clinic here who has GOT to be the suckiest one ever! Once when I was still pregnant, I came back from the lab looking like a human pincushion. I had a huge bruise on each arm and one on my hand. The lady had the bright idea to try the back of my hand. That would be fine except I have really tough skin. She kept jabbing and it just wouldn't go through. It didn't feel that great, let me tell ya. And the last time I was there, she tried repeatedly and then ended up blowing my vein. So the other one tried and got it on the first try. I hate that woman!
December 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oooooh, I had a nurse move the needle around too when I was in the hospital. I was ready to pop her.
December 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I don't know where they learn that BS. We were always, always taught you're either in or out ... never fishing around. If it doesn't work, pull back and re-poke, because most people are ok with that compared to that awful fishing feeling. Not enough phleb classes practice on each other anymore. They have those stupid dummies that don't really work that well, and they don't honestly understand how awful screwing up can feel. We always practiced on one another, so you learned quickly lest you get decked on break for being a jerk to someone's arm.
December 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
When I had my son, I had been poked and prodded so much, that by the end of my stay - 3 days- they couldn't get blood from my veins anymore. I told them as soon as they came in that my arm wouldn't work, but they had to start there I guess. I'd get poked 2 or 3 times in my arm, and then they would get it from my hand. That hurt!

They were always saying I'm sorry but I have to try. I wish they would have just listened to me.

Thanks Typical Heroine!!

December 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Somy dontor's office just called and said my blood work is "off" She increased my medicine because my numbers are so bad. Then she said it would look like I wasn't taking my medicine correctly I take it like I'm supposed to. I told her 2 months ago I was feeling crappy, and felt like it wasn't doing its job. She told me I needed to be patient and we'd see how it worked.

I'm post radio iodine hypothyroid. I kind of resent the fact she's saying I'm not doing something. I hate feeling tired all the time, and gaining 5 pounds in a week
December 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
They have those stupid dummies that don't really work that well,[/b]
Hah! The practice arm!

Yeah, fishing around is a BIG no-no. Sorry you had a bad time.

December 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Yea, Shannon, medic schools don't even have practice arms most of the time. We're a trial by fire kind of people, it would seem. As I've said before, drawing in a well lit, warm, quiet lab is FAR different than drawing in an ambulance going 75 down a bumpy dirt road in the dark in a snow storm. There's no time for 'practice'.
December 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble, hopefully the new dosage of meds will help

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
December 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble, hopefully the new dosage of meds will help[/b]
Thanks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search