Anybody have grand totals for what they spent on Christmas?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
After I finish wrapping a few things I am going to add it up!
December 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no clue. I kept picking stuff up randomly even after I thought I was done with people so I'm sure it was a lot more than I meant to.
December 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
GRAND TOTAL for 17 people: $1594.74, which also includes picture cards, paper for letters, and postage for Christmas cards

We have been sticking to approximately $1000 for the last few years(not including the card stuff which is about $50), but with the laptop (about $625, it put us over!). I also ended up spending more on hubby than I was originally going to bc I felt bad that I was gettng the laptop!

All the baking stuff just came out of regular grocery $. I made goodies for 6 of hubby's coworkers.

But the best part...it's all paid for in full!!! We charged a few things that we ordered online, but as soon as the item arrived, I paid the bill online! Christmas is definitely more enjoyable when you're not worrying about how to pay for things!
December 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Not sure... quite a fair amount. Plus, we haven't bought for DH family, and that is always more.

Plus, with my Aunt, Uncle and family, I went all out and Sponsored a child for a year, for them.

I will do an estimate though...

Sister $1.00
Mom 35.00 gift card
Dad 30.00
Step-Dad 20
Sisters foster boy, 20
Nephew 25
Matthew 9.00 (might still buy him a pair of jeans too) used rebates with his presents mostly
Husband 90.00... part of this is for a tool we need to do some home remodeling projects
Aunt/Uncle/Two boys... 300.00... sponsored a child from India to go to School for a year... tax deductable donation
Evan: 28.00
1st BIL 7.00 and JCPenny 10.00 gift cheque
2nd BIL not bought yet, prob 30.00 gift card
3rd BIL not bought yet, est. 40.00
MIL prob buy new tablecloths, estimate 35.00
FIL Not bought anything yet, estimate 50.00

So, I estimated 745, which is a bit higher because of the donation/sponsorship that I am doing. This doesn't include whatever DH buys for me.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
gctattoo
I can say with confidence that I've probably spent the least on the board.

DH's kids-- $210 for wrestling tickets plus $50 spending money in March
Alisha--probably $25; haven't gotten anything yet
IL's --probably $30; haven't gotten anything yet
My mom-- approx. $20 for whatever she wants when she visits

Grand Total: $335
December 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm still under $60, Teri. So, .

I don't know how long that'll last now, but we'll see. I was so convinced it was pauper xmas that I don't even know what else to get anyone know that we have cash. I'm so lost. Here I was thinking everyone was almost done, and ... well, maybe not now. I'm wandering through retail confusion.
December 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM
gctattoo
Darn you, Mandi! If it weren't for these pesky children wanting gifts, I think I could've won this time.

Wait a minute....you have cash? When did this happen? What did I miss? Did you get the job or did you finally get paid for Ben's injuries?
December 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Veteran
Wow I wish I would have gone with my first instinct NOT to respond to this thread! LOL I just added it up and we will have spent $1800 by the time we are done. And that doesn't include DH's new tv that was $636. Wow I don't know how we got so out of control.

But atlest $500 of that is items for Anthony that will help him in the long run. Therapy type toys that were recommended by his therapist. (trampoline, bean bag chair, puzzles, games, etc.). Plus we got the older two sports equipment that they will eventually need anyways. (shoulder pads, helmet, softball bat, bat bags, balls, fishing poles) And I got them each 4-5 outfits that all of them really needed.

Yeah I'm making excuses. There really is no excuse though. Next year I will not put any Christmas on the credit cards. I promise.

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
December 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Teri - I am pretty close to you with around $400. And $300 of that is 1 present!!!!

I spent less than $5 on Claire
She is getting:
4 travel containers of Huggies wipes (travel containers free after $3 coupon Target)
Tummy time mat (clearance) $3.xx
Teether (free from Early Intervention aka EI toy drive)
2 stuffed animals (EI toy drive)
6 Jars of baby food (Clearance at Target)
Foam mat (Dollar Store)

Paige (around $35-40)
Used Barbie Lamborghini Hotwheels car from CL ($20)
Unopened potty chair ($5 rummage sale)
3 Pairs of pants (3.79 each Target)
Baby doll (EI toy drive)
Stuffed dog (EI toy drive)
Peg toy (EI toy drive)
2 Board books (EI toy drive)

Alexis (amt depends...)
Disney edition of Monopoly (EI toy drive)
Coloring books (EI toy drive)
2 puzzles (EI toy drive)
Books (EI toy drive)
Several polly pockets (free after $5 coupon) - - I think I got 5 total
Clothes (all were about 75% off - JCPenny doorbuster on Black Friday)
Shrek 3 ($10 CVS coupon and CVS EB's)
Hannah Montana Concert Tickets (There were $150 each. I bought 4. I am going to keep 2 and sell 2. I am hoping to sell them for more than I paid to bring down the cost. They are going on ebay this weekend)

My family draws names for Christmas gifts and I got most of the stuff from CVS using EB's. I spent $50 for a Victoria Secret gift card for my cousin.

I still need to get some stocking stuffer things for Paige and Alexis (using the teether and some baby food for Claire). Considering I have 3 kids to buy for I don't think $400 is that bad.

December 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
You see, Teri, I have basically the same children to buy for. Mine are just older and have more expensive taste, lol. That $60 is gifts for 8 people so far.

And, check out the "Yahoooooo" thread. That's where the money came from. Speaking of el job-o, though, they haven't called back. After my interaction with the head DB, I'm not so much surprised (or disappointed ... at all).

Oooooo, and the best part ... ALL of my purchases were in cash. No credit card debt just so people can have 12 seconds of joy that will take me 30 years to pay off here. No ma'am. No way. No how. I learned that lesson the first time.
December 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eeek! I'm not going to add it up until it's all over--if then. I also have 3 birthdays in December that I buy for that adds to the expense: my BIL (12/22), my DH (12/23) and my big sis (12/23)! I know for these 3 birthdays alone I spent over $100.
December 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We also have the joy of many bdays around Christmas. DH and his twin brother are Nov. 28th, FIL is Dec. 10, my Mom is Dec. 21 and my niece and nephew are Feb. 3 and 25.

Ok I'll play I remember for the most part:

DH - I got him some Nintendo Wii games that were $90 for 3 of them. He's already playing them though. I also got him a CD which was about $14.

Me - He got me something which I SUSPECT is a blanket of some sort given the name of the website he ordered it from. I think it was about $100. I'm a little confused how you spend $100 on a blanket but whatever.

FIL - $25 GC

MIL - 2 puzzles, a book, 2 boxes of tea and 2 boxes of Turtles candy - $15, worth of gift $30

16 yr old Nephew - Shirt I got on clearance and a sketch pad - $3 (mmm, ok the shirt started at $35 and I got the sketchpad for free at CVS..should I get him something else though?), worth of gift $40

8 yr old Nephew - BIG Truck (one of the remote control ones that are usually like $100 or so but I got it on sale), 2 things of moonsand, Star Wars Flyer (like a really big, really flat ballon that you throw like a frisbee) - $25 (I feel like I need to get him something else too.) I also have a $15 video game but I'm not sure if that's from us or if April was going to buy it off me to give to him. If not then it will be $40 and I'm a lot better with that then $25, worth of gift (without game) $115, (with game) $165.

1 yr old niece - Fisher Price (I think) driving toy (it's really neat, it has a steering wheel and radio and turn signals and everything), Little People Bus, 1 Old Navy outfit, 1 Old Navy Shirt, 1 Carter's Brand Shirt, and 3 or 4 other outfits - I think around $50 or $55, worth of gift approx $135

My Dad - Digital Photo Keychain, 1 pair of Jeans, 1 box of Turtles Candy, 1 bag Hershey's Dark Chocolate Candy - $8, worth of gift $40

My Mom - Travel Bag from CVS (the one with the neck pillow), 3 piece spa set from CVS (slippers, eye mask, neck wrap), a snowman decoration, some EOB lotions - $0, worth of gift $45

My Sister - Travel Bag from CVS and a EOB lotion - $0, worth of gift $20

10 yr old Niece - Aeropostale Sweatshirt and Pants, Purse, Stuffed Horse, Cinderella Puzz 3d, some Polly Pockets - $60, plus shared gifts below, worth of gift $155

7 yr old Nephew - BIG truck (same as above) - $20, plus shared gifts below, worth of gift $100 (crap now I think I need to get him something else)

Shared gifts for above 2 - Shrek 3, 4 Nintendo DS games, and 6 tubs of moonsand - $35, worth of gift $95

Cousin - CVS Travel Bag (the one with fur and slippers) - $0, worth $15

Cousin's Baby - Ornament and Stuffed Angel Bear - $10, worth $10

5 Friends - They each get an EOB lotion and body wash, 3 of them get a makeup bag, the other 2 get a photo album - $10, worth of gifts $85

So with the game it is $485, without it is $470...that's not so bad, is it?
December 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I can say with confidence that I've probably spent the least on the board.

DH's kids-- $210 for wrestling tickets plus $50 spending money in March
Alisha--probably $25; haven't gotten anything yet
IL's --probably $30; haven't gotten anything yet
My mom-- approx. $20 for whatever she wants when she visits

Grand Total: $335
[/b]

I haven't spent all THAT much... I know it's less than that--even if the money on the GC is added in.

I had about 50 dollars worth of clearance clothes from Target that I'd picked up a while back, and I spent 95 on the toys from etoys.com, and put 60 on the GC. My total is 205. I need to get Madeline's jammies, too... if only I could FIND some! I'm having a lot of trouble finding jammies in her size...
December 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
gctattoo
Well Kim, I don't really count you since you have the ability to spend less on everything. And I didn't realize mine was quite that much until I added it up. I'm never gonna win anything on this board. Except weirdest person. I got that one hands down.

I've pretty much given up on finding anything I'm looking for in Alisha's size. It's mission impossible to find something, anything that will fit this kid. And it's not that she's in weird sizes. Stores just never have the exact size I need. This is the reason the child still has no sneakers. You'd think I could find a girl's sneaker in size 5 in this state. But then you'd be wrong.
December 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
CBMS
We got Maddie's tennies in a size too big. We got 6's even though that was fairly big at the time. She loves them--Spongebob. They are just right now, so we'll have to start looking for new ones before too much longer. Their little feet grow soooooo fast at this age, it's best to get them slightly larger (or maybe I"m just that cheap....er... frugal.)

And... if you count what others have spent on my children on my behalf, that total goes up quite a bit. My MIL took me on the 220 dollar shopping excursion at Macy's for the rest of their clothes, remember? Yikes.
December 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
CBMS
OH! And add another 10 to mine, too... I forgot that I grabbed those 4.99 hair dryers at WAG the other night... They're starting to get into all that girly stuff, so I thought for 5 bucks each, they'd be nice stocking stuffers.
December 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, I am not sure that I want to add mine up......

DH--about $200

Peyton---about $75

MIL--$20

Dad-- $5

lil Sis--$4

her BF--not sure yet

sis--$5 + will get her something else

BIL ---$1 (got a brand new set of bar glasses at a yard sale)

niece---$0---used mypoints for GC

nephew-- $10

niece--$0 had leftover from last year

sis--$0-spent ECB

BIL--$4

nephew--$0---again used mypoints for GC

niece $10

niece--$10

best friend--- prob $20--have not got yet

I will probably get away with spending about $400---not too shabby considering the amount of people that I buy for.

December 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
celeste's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't done a count but it's been over $1000.
December 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to anleebrick

$915.00 for a family of six and a few other people. I don't think it's that bad since I usually spend a couple-few thousand. The most frugal deal was I got a free BlackBerry Curve for my DS16. I was eligable for a phone upgrade so I'll keep my phone and he gets the Blackberry. It's a 299.00 phone.

Quote:
$915.00 for a family of six and a few other people. I don't think it's that bad since I usually spend a couple-few thousand. The most frugal deal was I got a free BlackBerry Curve for my DS16. I was eligable for a phone upgrade so I'll keep my phone and he gets the Blackberry. It's a 299.00 phone.[/b]
Shoot, I forgot DH spent 700.00 on a Wii bundle. Scratch that, I thought we were doing good. Ugh.
December 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Veteran
Yes but a Wii is soooo worth the price. That is the funnest time we've had as a family when we "rented" one for the night. (we actually didn't rent one, but played the one we already bought, we are bad bad parents LOL)

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search