help with...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
Hi! I need help with the grocery area. Here is our situation....

Our mortgage payment is alot of our income, not by choice. We we're not told the logistics of it all until we sat at the closing table. But, I need to cut back in other areas, such as food. We have two babies in diapers, so that is hard in itself. I do want to try and potty train my son as he's just turned 2 and seems ready so that will save us, but I seem to plan these meals and never go through and end up back grocery shopping 5 DAYS LATER! My baby daughter eats baby food and my son eats table food along with myself and my husband. What meals seem to do well for you all..and how much do you spend in a given week? Any and all tips and ideas are appreciated!! Thank you.

</div><div align="center">

</div>
December 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM
CBMS

First off, you'll need a plan...

what stores are in your area? Do you get the ads mailed or get them in the paper? I will shop the ads and compare them with the current coupons to get the best deals...

I shop the loss leaders at different stores. That means that some weeks, I go to all four or five major stores, and other weeks, I only go to one or two. I spend very little in groceries (about 100-125 a month typically; that's for a family of five), but it's because I stockpile. I just buy stuff to add to my stockpile while I can get it dirt cheap. That way, I never have to pay full price for anything. I stockpile meats, canned goods, frozen vegetables, pastas, pasta sauces, flour, sugar, you name it...

I also make all of my own breads, tortillas, etc. I will also make my pasta from scratch if I go a long time without finding a good deal on it. It's much yummier too.

Now, the loss leaders at stores here are generally BOGO deals. You can add coupons to your BOGOs and really save a bundle. As an example, I can get two jars of spaghetti sauce BOGO@2.29, use a .50/2 coupon, and get them for only .90 each--for NAME BRAND sauce. Same with like granola bars. The good ones--quaker--go on BOGO every six to eight weeks here. I get 2/2.79, use two 1.00 coupons (or better sometimes!), and get them for only .40 a box!

Your stores may have different kinds of deals--depends on your region, I think. Some just make really good deals like 10/10's, $/#, etc...

We can definitely help you out, though.

December 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
CBMS
I almost forgot... for diapers...

I stockpile those when there's an especially good deal. At CVS a while back, there was a deal where they were so much a pack, and then you got EBs back--add the coupons, the $/$$ CVS coupon, etc, and you can get them really cheap AND get money back on them.

This week, I got two 4.00 register rewards at Walgreens. They have pampers on sale for 9.00. I can use a 4.00 RR and a 1.50 manufacturer coupon and get them for 3.50 a pack.

Do the math on diapers, and never spend more than about 14 or 15 cents per diaper. I usually shoot for around the 10 cent mark, myself.
December 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
gctattoo
I agree with Kim about the diapers. Stockpile when you get a great sale and use coupons whenever possible. If you're paying over 15 cents per diaper, you're overpaying.

As for the groceries and a menu: try to build your week's menu around sale items. And stock up when you find a really good sale. Coupons will go a long way in saving you some money. Keep an eye out for peelies on items and blinkies in the stores. Plus get a Sunday paper for the inserts. (Not this Sunday though--holiday weekend means no coupons)
December 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
Thanks! I have been getting the parents choice...@ walmart for $13.67 and there are 104 diapers in it..so that's...alittle over 13 cents. so, that's not too bad. We shop @ walmart. There is a acme,safeway in dover about 20 minutes away but, walmart is 5 minutes away. We have walgreens here- we'll "happy harry's" just turrned into walgreens, as we'll as rite-aid's. I have been trying to spend no more than $160 a month...$40 a week. For a family of four, and of course the baby eats baby food, anyway to go cheaper on baby food?. Also, how do you make your own pasta and bread?

</div><div align="center">

</div>
December 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
CBMS
Quote:
anyway to go cheaper on baby food?. Also, how do you make your own pasta and bread?[/b]

You didn't mention a target? Sometimes there's good deals at Target for baby food... because you can combine a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon. Other than that, I'd say using coupons is the best way to go. I sign up at beechnut.com and gerber.com. Also, check your local grocers and see if they have a "baby club" type program. Sometimes they send coupons out, and store coupons can be combined with the manu coupons you get in the mail.

I have bread recipes and a pasta recipe up in the recipe subforum. I think they may both be in the stickied thread.

Pasta is a little tougher because you have to have the proper equitment--some type of pasta maker. I have an attachment for my kitchen aid that makes it really easy for me.
December 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Have you considered cloth diapers? You can get away with cloth diapering from birth to potty training for very little.

I agree on homemade foods as much as possible. Flour, sugar, yeast are pretty much staples that you can get a lot out of. You can also make and freeze your own baby food for very little. Much less than the jarred kind.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 21st, 2007, 05:08 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stick around here and you will learn soooo much! This is what I do for grocery shopping. Each Friday i get the grocery store sales flyers in the mail. I sit down with each one and look for the really good sales. Then I comb through them to see what good sales I can combine with coupons I get out of the sunday paper. I then make my list based on what is on sale and what I can combine with coupons!

When things are at a good sale price stock up! You would be amazed at how much money you can save! I also try and make it into a game (as many do on this board!) by tracking my spending and how much I am saving! Hope this helps!

December 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
to what everyone else said. Most of the major companies...Gerber, beachnut, huggies, pampers, etc. will allow you to sign up for coupons. Sign up your address and anyone else's address that will let you. I get coupons from all of those as well as Winn-Dixie and Publix baby clubs in the mail at my house, my dad's house, my in-law's, and 2 or 3 friends/neighbors. lol Stockpiling when things are on sale definitely helps. That way you never have to pay full price.
Do you have a CVS? CVS does deals a lot of the time where you get money back after buying things.
Also if you have a dollar store. I get pasta there when I can't find it on sale anywhere else. I also get cleaning supplies there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search