Are you frugal with wrapping gifts?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you buy stuff on sale?
Do you reuse paper? bags? boxes?

Well, I only buy Christmas paper after the fact for cheap and I buy birthday stuff at places like Factory Card Outlet. I don't bother trying to save the paper, but we do reuse bags. I used to get quite a few from gifts from kids at school-I haven't paid for a gift bag in 9 years! We put the sticky tags around the rope handles so they can be ripped off and then the bags can be reused.

My mom resuses boxes from around the house all the time! My sisters and I joke about who is going to get the box of envelopes (a box from a case of envelopes that she got from work).

I know some people save the colored comics from the Sunday paper to wrap birthday gifts in. I may do this later on.
December 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
CBMS
We always re-use gift bags and boxes. I also get the cheap paper (this year at the 1 spot at Target). I got my scotch tape at WAG when the 3packs were on sale for 1.00.
December 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom used to do the comic paper thing I do the plastic bag thing way to much .

I buy the wrapping paper when it is on sale. I bought some wrapping paper from Sam's Club a few years ago and I am still using it! I reuse boxes all of the time. I actually cut a box down and remade it for DH's present. I bought 3 large stuffed Elmo's (for $4.99!) and one is in a dish network box, another is in a shredder box, and the other is in a pampers box. I can not justify buying boxes or bag when I can find a box to put it in.

December 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our ACE always seems to have tape in their clearance bins! When they do I'll buy several rolls...I haven't had to do that in quite some time!
December 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I reuse bags.

I got Christmas wrapping paper at Walgreens on sale last year that I am using this year.

I use whatever boxes we have around the house. Some we have saved but I ended up using a Capri Sun box to put my niece's gift in this year.

December 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hubby has 1 of his gifts in a diaper box...somehow I can just see the kiddo saying...ooh diapers!!
December 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I keep all my gift bags. I love giving gifts in gift bags - it's so simple! I just hate being wasteful throwing them out. I just have a rubbermaid tote with all my gift bags in it, and I go in everytime I need one.

We bought a bunch of wrapping paper several years ago after christmas, and we are still using it. It'll probably last another year or so. But I definately try to catch it on sale.

Thanks Typical Heroine!!

December 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hubby has 1 of his gifts in a diaper box...somehow I can just see the kiddo saying...ooh diapers!![/b]
I'm afraid that the mom is going to get really excited thinking that we gave diapers.

December 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Hubby has 1 of his gifts in a diaper box...somehow I can just see the kiddo saying...ooh diapers!![/b]
I'm afraid that the mom is going to get really excited thinking that we gave diapers.
[/b]

That's pretty funny!
December 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I save bags and re-use them. I buy Xmas wrap after Christmas when it is on sale. If I need more Christmas wrap or Bday wrap I get it at the Dollar Tree.

December 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I used to do things like buy wrapping paper at the $ store or Target's $1 spot but then I realized that if I buy paper after Christmas I can buy a bigger role of higher quality paper for just as cheap as the $1 stuff. So now I load up once it goes on sale and put it away for the next year.

I reuse gift bags and boxes but nothing else. My mom used to reuses bows (she would just tape them on once the sticky had been used). I don't understand this because after Christmas you can buy a big bag of them for like .25 cents!

December 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought wrapping paper at Walgreens when they had the buy 1 get 2 free. I did that last year and this year, so next year I will not have to buy any wrapping paper at all. I also bought gift tags from Walgreens on the same sale. I used to use wrapping paper for gift tags. I would cut a small piece of paper, fold it in half then tape it on the gift. They were free and I didn't have to worry about running out of tags. I have not done that in a couple years though. I also save any gift bags to reuse. I just tear off the tags if they are written on and use a self adhesive gift tag on the tissue paper for the new gift. Or if it is for a birhtday and I don't have sticker gift tags, I just write directly on the tissure paper to identify who the gift is from.

December 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
this year we are using newspaper that the kids painted on for gift wrap. We didn't have any lying around, and I couldn't justify the cost. After Christmas we are going out and stocking up on gift wrap for next year. No pretty Christmas gift wrap is making me a bit depressed.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
this year we are using newspaper that the kids painted on for gift wrap. We didn't have any lying around, and I couldn't justify the cost. After Christmas we are going out and stocking up on gift wrap for next year. No pretty Christmas gift wrap is making me a bit depressed.[/b]
That's so cute though!! I hate bows on presents...mostly bc when you have to transport the gifts places they get smushed anyways! I bought a huge thing of tags several years ago (for cheap of course!) and it still seems like I have a ton!
December 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use whatever box I can find and re-use the clothes boxes. I also re-use the bags. I won't throw those out until they are REALLY beat up. I bought a bunch of paper on sale after Xmas last year and still haven't broken into it because I can't seem to use up the roll DH got from Sam's club like 4 years ago.
December 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I bought a bunch of gift wrap at Walgreens on the B1G2 as well. It's really nice. I will also be on the hunt after xmas for el cheap-o gift wrapping goods. I use a ton of it for business as well as the holiday so I stock up as much as possible when it's super inexpensive. I re-use gift bags as well, unless they're for work. I'll only use new for business gifts, since I need them to look a little bit classier. Boxes ... I got a ton of multi-size box packs on clearance like 4 years ago and I'm still using them. There are tons. We keep the ones we get from others and reuse them. I almost never use bows so I don't have to worry about reusing them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search