? about formula checks/coupons

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know why...but recently I started receiving those checks/coupons. Most are good until April or so. I never got any last time, that I remember anyway. Most are for 5 bucks. Does the item have to exceed the amount or will they just adjust the amount, or what? What has been your experience, if you have used these? I plan to BF or pump if need be, but having some formula on hand wouldn't hurt. I was thinking to wait until almost the expiration of the checks and then get some for hopefully very little OOP.

They all say infant formula otherwise I could give them to April.
December 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM
CBMS
If they're for 5.00 off, I doubt you'll find any for so little that you actually need them to be adjusted? I don't do formula, but I did buy a few cans when Maddie was going to have surgery because I wasn't sure she'd come home still nursing. It's really expensive. I was glad I had the couple of coupons I did (since I didn't usually use them, it was rare that I had them!).

Now... it's a check, to be used just like cash, so if you do get lucky, I don't think they should adjust it at all... but I'm not sure since I'm strictly a BF'er.
December 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw in the Meijer ad they had the premixed kind for 4.79 a bottle and I know when I bought the liquid concentrate it used to be 4 and change for a can. I am also pretty sure BRU does the ready to feed bottles for 4.99 pretty often. With the kiddo every time I tried the powder kind he got so gassy, but if I used the liquid concentrate he was good. I never tried to ready to feed as it was more $$$.
December 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
gctattoo
I used the manuf. checks all the time for my formula. I don't think you'll find any that need to be adjusted with the cost of formula being what it is. In fact, the prices went up within the year that Alisha was on it. But those checks are awesome for saving money. I think I paid full price only twice or so the entire time.

Here's a trick for the powder formulas: before you shake it up in the bottle, add a couple drops of the Mylicon or generic equivalent. It'll prevent most of those air bubbles from the shaking.
December 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
the checks are just a coupon off type deal. My hardcore BFing friend (who hates the formula companies with a passion, especially nestle) will buy a can of formula with the check and then return the can for full price.... I've never done that, but sometimes reading about the practices of the formula company I sure am tempted.

And you get the checks more often if you state that you will be BFing.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
You can also trade those coupons on coupon boards or use them on ebay. If you plan on breastfeeding, the coupons are a gimmick to make you want to use their formula and give up breastfeeding, and your milk dries up, and you are stuck with formula. I gave Evan some formula on and off when he hit about 9mo, because he is such a light weight and i had it in my cupboard. By then though, we were all set with our nursing skills. With Matthew I switched to formula right away and nursed him on and off still for several months. Anyway, so that is my input, although not what you asked for, I think you already got that information.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Although not able to BF with my son due to his frenulum being so attached (had "surgery" after a few weeks to correct it, but at that point was so used to the bottle!). Anyhow..I pumped several times a day (more than enough to sustain him) but around 4 months we were scheduled to go to Mexico for a wedding and I was not going to bring a pump and such so I stopped pumping around 3.5 months. When he was 2 months old I began mixing formula and BM so that he could get used to it...and good thing I did...we had to slowly intro the formula without having problems-we had to start at 1 oz formula/5 oz BM and slowly moved up an ounce at a time, every 2 weeks or so. Because we were supplementing and I was still able to pump 32-40 oz a day the stash built up and he was still getting some BM around 8 months (almost 5 months after stopping pumping!!!). He only got full formula for 4 months or so until we switched him to regular milk.

I just figured that since I had all the coupons, I would buy what I could for the least OOP to have just in case. Hopefully I can either BF regularly or else I will pump longer than I did last time. I checked at Target when I was just there and the ready to feed stuff was around 5-6 bucks a container, so I'll probably end up buying those when the coupons are about to expire (that way the formula will have a longer expiration too!)
December 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm with your BF'er friend, Beth, in her hatred of formula companies ... especially Nestle. They're the devil. I get formula checks on a regular basis because my idiot friends think it's funny to sign me up for their nonsense, and I sell those bad boys on eBay. Then I donate the eBay money to African NGOs working to correct the damages done there by Nestle and their nonsense.
December 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
oooh, I like that idea Mandi! I may do that this time around.

I wish I could boycott nestle like my friend does, but nestle owns so many brands it would be near impossible.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

December 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Nothing is impossible, love. Though I will concur that getting Nestle out of your life is most difficult indeed.

(And hilariously, there's an add for Nestle Juicy Juice Harvest Surprise immediately above my reply box ... nice try, nice try indeed.)
December 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I actually canceled the kids Gerber Life Insurance policies when Nestle bought the company out. And when they asked why I did tell them truthfully. The kids have life insurance through the military, so I didn't feel too bad for them. I try to be brand conscience, but it does become very expensive and very difficult.

After watching blood diamond I swore I'd never own another diamond. Something I fully intend to keep my promise too... it sound ridiculous, but I just can't justify owning one after watching that movie and knowing that blood diamonds still make it into this country. A guy in Omaha was arrested for selling blood diamonds earlier this year.

December 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed hard core as well. Carly did not have formula until recently. I was not happy about this at all, but she is actually drinking it and gaining weight. I was going to wean last month, but I couldn't do it. She is still nursing at least 3 times a day. I'm not to sure if I have any milk at all left.

Mandi and Beth...mind sharing what is so wrong about formula companies and Nestle? I guess I am out of the loop. I did not BF because I do not the formula companies, I had my own reasons.

December 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nestle goes against the World Health Organization guidelines and goes into 3rd world countries, where the people are ignorant, and the water is unsafe to drink. Nestle gives their formula away to new mothers and tells them that it is healthier for the babies than their breastmilk. These women do not know any better. They take the free formula and feed their babies with it. Their breastmilk dries up and Nestle stops giving them free samples. These women then have to try to find money to buy the formula. Most times they can't, so they end up mixing extra water in with the formula powder to make it last longer. Mind you, this water is unsafe for anyone to be drinking, let alone tiny babies. The babies don't get the nutrients that they need, and would have gotten from breastmilk, and many of them die or become very sick.

In addition, Nestle does not even print directions on the formula cans in the correct languages for these women, not that many of them are literate anyway.

All of those babies would have been breastfed if Nestle didn't illegally seek these women out and blatantly lie to them.

Nestle is an evil evil company.

They have been reprimanded, possibly even fined, by the WHO, but continue to illegally market to 3rd world countries.

December 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Plus for awhile the Nestle employees showed up in traditional nurses uniforms, even though they weren't nurses, so that the women would be more convinced that it was the healthiest thing to do. They're pure evil, telling women their nonsense is better than the way women have been feeding babies for thousands of years. Blah. Those babies end up malnourished or with cholera or dysentary from the dirty water, not to mention their compromised immunity to local diseases. Ick. I hate them.

And, Beth, almost all of the diamonds that make it here are conflict diamonds. Unless you can guarantee that they're coming out of the Northwest Territories of Canada (huge diamond mines), but even if they are ... those mines are largely owned by the De Beers, who are responsible for almost all the African conflict diamonds as it is. The De Beers have wrecked the Congo and a huge portion of the mid-continent with their diamonds and bloodshed. My Benjamin loves buying diamonds (well, when we weren't broke ... well ... as broke ... lol), but I just can't deal with the deaths of thousands on my hands.
December 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
What they all said about Nestle. If you google Nestle Boycott it will come up with a bunch of info.

I know Mandi... it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

December 28th, 2007, 01:01 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I breastfed with an occasional supplement formula (no formula until after 2 months - he wouldn't even take it in the hospital from the nurse when he wouldn't sleep, breastfeed and wasn't wet). After 6 months, my milk production started getting lower. AJ breastfed until 11.5 months though. I would buy a large can of the powder and it would last us a month or more until he started dropping more and more breast feedings. Then he was on just formula for about a month after he weaned himself. Now he is on whole milk.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search