December Grocery Challenge Results

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am done for the month (well my "month")!

TOTALS:

amount budgeted for month: $225 (Slowly, but surely whittling this down!!!)

amount spent: 224.82

monthly over or (under): a whopping 18 cents under!!!

monthly total amount saved in specials, rebates, and coupons: 574.52

monthly savings percentage total: 71.9%
December 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
gctattoo
I won't be finished until after tomorrow's shopping. But as of right now, I am $128 under budget. And I'm at 72%. I'm guessing I won't spend more than $50 tomorrow. Finally a month where I stayed under budget!
December 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I'm out of money (we used a lot of it to eat out, lol), so unless I get an unexpected rebate check, I'm done.

amount budgeted for month: $400

amount spent: $312.54

monthly over or (under): $87.46 UNDER!

monthly total amount saved in specials, rebates, and coupons: $451.06 + $98.12 rebate = $549.18

monthly savings percentage total: MTD: 64%

December 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
The holidays have whipped my butt and made me lazy and forgetful. I haven't posted my receipts for about 2 weeks and now I am afraid I have lost them (ie. I probably wound up throwing them out with the rest of my receipts when I put them in Quicken ). So I will just say that it is safe to say that I am over and start from scratch in January.
December 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to input a couple more receipts then I can do my tallys.

December 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I still have a wee bit more shopping for between now and Monday but here are my current totals:

TOTALS:
amount budgeted for month: $250
amount spent: $83.22
monthly over or (under): ($166.78)
monthly total amount saved in specials, rebates, and coupons: $409.48
monthly savings percentage total: 83%
December 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I still have a wee bit more shopping for between now and Monday but here are my current totals:

TOTALS:
amount budgeted for month: $250
amount spent: $83.22
monthly over or (under): ($166.78)
monthly total amount saved in specials, rebates, and coupons: $409.48
monthly savings percentage total: 83%[/b]
Ummm...HOLY COW!!!! I think we have our winner, ladies, lol.

December 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great job Sarah!!! I don't know how you some of you can spend so little! Even when I say I'm not going to spend a lot it's still a few hundred!!
December 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM
gctattoo
It's stockpiles. I thought I did pretty well with my food shopping considering I have no stockpile. I'm never going to win so I'm not doing the challenge anymore.
December 29th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Don't quit! Keep doing it!!!!
December 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Oh come on, Teri, don't quit the challenge. I won the first month that I tried.....then I started stockpiling, LOL. And there were not as many people involved back then. I do every month just to track my spending. I know if I do extremely horrible in the challenge then I need to control myelf. (not that I have controlled myself so far) And if you keep stockplining there may come that month that you can buy next to nothing and sweep everyone. So don't give up!

December 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also won quite a long time ago when there was only a handful of people doing the challenge and I think pretty much everyone went over, so it's not like I had some major accomplishment or something. I keep doing it to challenge myself-that's the whole point. My spending for the year averaged out to $385-that's a whole heck of a lot! By summer I was happy with 360...then I went way over in August and then decided I really needed to cut back. I've been able to stay around 250 for a few months and this month I even made it down to 225! Which tells you I must have been spending a ton at the beginning of the year for it to average out to 385!!! I'll never be as good as Kim-we still buy quite a bit of milk and I'm a sucker for buying fresh fruit for the kid(probably 40 bucks or so a month at least in the winter months when it is more expensive!) and I don't live in the land of BOGOs, but I still enjoy trying to keep it down! I've been under my set amount for 4 months now and it feels great!

I bet if you cut out WM altogether you'd have better luck!!!!!!
December 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am officially 10 billion over budget. With m/s DH did some shopping and I sent him on a million little errands to get me the only foods I could think of stomaching. Of course these items werent on sale!

I will officially be back on track in January but again dont expect to do so well! Don't quit Terri! For me its more about just being held responsible for how much I spend. If I dont track I overspend by a lot! We love you Terri!

December 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am officially 10 billion over budget. With m/s DH did some shopping and I sent him on a million little errands to get me the only foods I could think of stomaching. Of course these items werent on sale![/b]
For me it was even worse...stopping to get Arby's (something I loved with my first pregnancy too!). One week at the beginning we spent about 60 bucks on fast food! Yowsers!! It got better though!
December 29th, 2007, 07:21 AM
gctattoo
I'll still keep track of my spending to make sure I keep it under control. I just won't use the challenge anymore to do it.
December 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Budgeted Amount: $500 (our december budget it always higher for baking/party throwing expense)

Amount Spent: $454.47

Under: $45.53

Amount Saved: $325.63

Percentage: 41.7% ... oh how I hate SAL and Costco for not having truely calcuable percentages. Grrr.
December 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Don't quit Teri!! I actually think I should be out of the running because while we lived off our stockpile the first half of the month, the second half we did more eating out because I had some late nights at work. Plus with the holidays we did a lot of eating on other people's dimes!

I really think mine would be more accurate if it was against a smaller budget given the above. So throw out how much under I was since I shouldn't have had a $250 budget.
January 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Who else has results??
January 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM

amount budgeted for month: $275

amount spent: $332.84

monthly over or (under): $57.84

monthly total amount saved in specials, rebates, and coupons: $599.03

monthly savings percentage total: 64%

January 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont have my totals with me. But I am going to estimate them. I think i remember

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search