Confused

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
With Dh direct deposit for this 2week period there is an extra 225.00 approx... wondering why. I will ask DH, but he is in the shower right now. I am not complaining, I was just boggled to see such a large deposit.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM
CBMS
hmmmm... Christmas bonus? Overtime?

Enjoy the extra cash. Sure wish I'd end up with extra cash.
December 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you ask him if he knew?
December 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
we changed how many we claim and underestimated it by about....$40! so, that was nice this week too

wootwoot for extra money! enjoy!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
December 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
we changed how many we claim and underestimated it by about....$40! so, that was nice this week too

wootwoot for extra money! enjoy![/b]
We also changed our witholding, but at the same time he got his raise, so it's a little hard to figure exactly how much it affected things. We usually end up with about 5K back, so that works out to several hundred per month, but it wasn't that much more, so I may have him go and change it even more...haven't decided yet!
December 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM
yeah we changed our's ... considerably.

Same with us, he had just got a raise as well, - . 55 cent raise

We usually do very well at tax time too.

</div>
December 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
yeah we changed our's ... considerably.

Same with us, he had just got a raise as well, - . 55 cent raise

We usually do very well at tax time too.[/b]
Well, the taxes will be different with changing the witholding (not this time around, but next time.

Congrats on the raise. I don't know what my husband's works out to hourly, he's paid salary, but it was 12%. HE should get another 3% minimum in March too!
December 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
awesome where my husband works, for the first 2 years he got a raise every 6 months....And now he's at his 2 year mark so now he gets them annually, every april.

He started at $12.55 an hour and in two short years is it ... $16.51! I am so proud of him.

</div>
December 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not gotten a raise in 2 1/2 years. But I don't really work much so I can't complain.

December 29th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That stinks. I also haven't gotten a true raise in the almost 2.5 years that I have watched the girls. BUT, I make as much as I did when I started and had the younger girl every day all day and the older one most days after 2.5 hours of Kindergarten. I now only have the younger one 2 full days and 3 half days and the older one most days after full day school, so I make the same, but work less!
December 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, that is kinda my situation. The economy is slower now so we are slow. I bascially get paid to hang out with my sister all day. I used to get paid to hang out with Peyton 2 days a week and watch tv, but we closed that store, lol.

December 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM
We figured it out. I mentioned it again while we were in the car with his Dad and his Dad knew instantly. We hit the threshold for the amount that we can at our income level contribute to social security. There is a sliding scale apparently. Well, we hit that amount and got to keep the extra 220.

Next year the amount that gets deposited into our account will be less, because of our flexible spending contributions for Matthews braces and DH root canal.

DH doesn't get a Christmas bonus, but he gets a yearly one and raise in September.

Glad I know what the "problem" is at least.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

December 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We figured it out. I mentioned it again while we were in the car with his Dad and his Dad knew instantly. We hit the threshold for the amount that we can at our income level contribute to social security. There is a sliding scale apparently. Well, we hit that amount and got to keep the extra 220.[/b]
The amount you can contribute to SS? That's something the govt taxes you on, do you mean the amount you can contribute to a retirement plan?
December 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
No, I don't mean retirement contributions. Apparently, there is a cut-off for the amount that you are allowed to contribute to SS, each year, depending on what you make. (a sliding scale) Apparently, we hit that limit, being at the upper end of the tax bracket that we are in. DH Dad knows all about this stuff, and he knew instantly what the problem was the instant I mentioned it. He must have hit his max in the past as well.

December 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never thought of SS as a contribution. It's not something I willing contribute to, it a tax the govt charges me!
December 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, technically you can opt out of SS, and opt out of taxes. That is a long tricky, hairy process. When I say "contribute", yes I know it is a tax, but it is technically for the future, although I doubt it will around when we all get older.

December 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
CBMS
I thought it was just 6.2% of your income, regardless... Even if you made 8 million or only 8 thousand... you paid 6.2% Ah well... not the first time I didn't know what the heck I was thinking.
December 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Apparently it's 6.2% up to a certain point.
December 29th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i have never heard of this at all.

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
December 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I hadn't heard of it either. I am not complaining though. Dh said that he knew we were coming close to this threshold a year ago. I guess in another year or two we will be in the next tax bracket... if we aren't already.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search