Tired of it and

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Okay, I am somewhat jealous. There is a lady online with a LOVELY website. With NICE pictures. She started around the same time that I did. Her work is just as pretty as my work... but you can actually see how nice things look in her pictures. It looks like she must be making PROFIT of at least 10k a month. PROFIT. So, I am somewhat jealous because it could be me... and maybe it will be me... maybe.... oh yes, it will be me. Oh yes.

Here is her site: www.swcreations.net

Okay, my site will look more like that in about 3 mo. I checked out her site when I started this over 4 years ago... and seen how she has grown and me with my "cool free site" and lackadasial pictures, has not.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It looks like she must be making PROFIT of at least 10k a month. PROFIT.[/b]
Why would you say this?
December 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Why? If I count up her items sold, and I counted up several sections/plays and I know the price of beads when you buy more than one or two at a time, and I assume that all of the items marked sold have sold in the past month, then I can make a pretty accurate calculation as to what her profit must be.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

December 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You don't know for sure how long those items have been sold for. Also keep in mind it is the holiday season. Lots of people buying for others, she could be selling at craft fairs, etc. I wouldn't take one month's selling as what she does yearround.
December 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
10K a month in bead work? The sales industry isn't really *that* hot right now, if you ask me. How overpriced is this crazy jewelry?
December 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Umm, I just looked and apparently VERY. $50-$75 for a bead bracelet? That's insane!

The stuff on your site looks much more inline with what I think beadwork should cost. Have you tried selling at arts and crafts fairs?
December 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Well, I have looked periodically, over the past 4 years, so i think I have a pretty good idea, although it is true that i don't know how long the items have sold. I actually made my guess on the low side. Another lady that started about 2 years before me, is now a million dollar company, and she is from my area.

I can be a little jealous, and a little hopeful that at least my site will LOOK as nice as her does and maybe make more sales than I do right now. Right now, I make only a couple of sales a year.

She has top quality beads right now, and can ask top quality dollar. Her prices are average, and most of her items are of a higher quality than mine, rl silver vs. plated. I plan on rectifying that, as well as rectifying my shabby picture quality.

December 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Also, just bc she has something listed at a certain price doesn't mean that she is always able to sell for that price!
December 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It is hard with the boys to do that sort of thing... craft fairs... plus most of them run on Saturday, which is our church day, and a day that I don't do craft fairs. So, that puts me out of a lot of them. Plus, if we are having another baby... and I think we might, maybe, if I ever get pregnant... then I won't be doing craft fairs. What I really, really, want is a website that sells.

Hers are worth more than mine, because.... #1 she is using real silver, #2 I am undervalueing my time and really want to sell because I have a TON of inventory, #3 I dont' feel comfortable charging quite so much, #4 I cannot charge that much anyway, because with my crappy pictures, I cannot sell for that much.

I made a lovely little girls bracelet, which was nicer than a similar one at another site, it cost me 15.00 to make (real sterling silver), and I sold it for 30.00. The other site would have sold it for 45.00

December 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's too bad you can't make it to a craft fair--you've made some beautiful pieces of jewelry! Maybe you could organize one through your chruch?
December 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
No, Adventists, as a general rule don't wear jewelry. So, that wouldn't work for me. Sure, some do, and I make it, even though I don't like to wear jewelry much... no, that wouldn't work. It would be nice though. I have thought that in the past, but know it wouldn't work. I could have a craft and marykay, pampered chef get together at my house, and I have mulled it over. I did that once before and it didn't go so well... it is worth one more shot though. I think have nicer pictures and a real website name (working on that in January) could, hopefully, be what I need.

Thanks for the compliment! What I love most about my jewelry is showing it off.

December 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
No, Adventists, as a general rule don't wear jewelry. So, that wouldn't work for me. Sure, some do, and I make it, even though I don't like to wear jewelry much... no, that wouldn't work. It would be nice though. I have thought that in the past, but know it wouldn't work. I could have a craft and marykay, pampered chef get together at my house, and I have mulled it over. I did that once before and it didn't go so well... it is worth one more shot though. I think have nicer pictures and a real website name (working on that in January) could, hopefully, be what I need.

Thanks for the compliment! What I love most about my jewelry is showing it off.[/b]
Eek! Sorry, didn't know!
December 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, just having a website is not going to sell the item, no matter how great it is. Not when people can go out and see things firsthand and then decide to buy.
December 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Of course you didn't know.

December 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
ITA, Kris. I have an MK website, but it's only for my current customers who've already had product in their hands, on their face, etc and know what they want at 3am but don't want to wait to call me. I get so very few website orders, and only ONCE in 3 years have I gotten an unsolicited order (meaning from someone I didn't know already). People don't just random upon sales websites from non-big names without some kind of awesome marketing ... which usually costs more than it's worth. Personally, I'd go with something like Etsy where people are already coming there and can happen upon your designs, but someone else markets it for you. I don't think magical websites are going to sell product (any product, period) simply by existing.

And, time is only as valuable as the demand for it. I know that when I'm working, my time is worth approximately $50-$75 an hour, because I consistently turn that kind of return in that amount of time. If I were cooler, I'd pull in more sales in that time and have more valuable time. If I were less cool, I'd make less. It's only because people want what I have that my time is worth that much. Until there's a demand, your time isn't really worth jack officially.
December 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I kind of have to agree, which is why I was mentioning the arts and crafts fairs, you would have the potential to put out little business cards with your website name so if people wanted to order more later, or recommend you to a friend they could. Plus there may be tourists/out of towners and word could spread that way. I don't think just putting the site up and letting it sit will sell much even with prettier pictures and a better site name.
December 31st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Veteran
Why don't you price some of your work and take it around to consignment stores and boutiques. Also you could approach some hair salons with your work and see if they would be interested in putting it in their shops to sell.
December 31st, 2007, 09:35 PM
I really should go around to boutiques ect. again. I went a while ago, when I first started up, and my product wasn't as nice as it is now, and a lot of my nicer things, are not even on my website, because of space problems. I tell myself that it is difficult (and cold and wet this time of year), and when I went before I didn't have Matthew with me (he was in school) and Evan wasn't born... and... (more excuses?) most places already have someone with their jewerly there... that is what i ran into last time, and that was 4 years ago. I might want to try Costco sometime. I have gone and done 4 craft type things, but there weren't really many people that came to those, so I have gotten pretty discouraged by that.

My site wouldn't just sit there, I would have to advertise, more than i do right now, which, when I have done it in the past, has worked out well for me. It took a lot of work to get my website to get hits, but now that i do get some hits, I wish my site were nicer looking and the pictures properly displayed the product. KWIM?

January 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
I just got interested in jewelry making. Michael's and AC Moore kept sending those 40% off coupons and so I picked up some supplies. Is there a cheaper place to buy beads? I'm kind of shocked at the $10k/month. You'd have to sell an awfull lot of jewelry every month. I don't know if you could MAKE that much jewelry in a month to sell! Does she have people who work for her who make the jewelry? Just to make $1k/month you'd have to sell like 200 necklaces, right? How many hours does it take to make that many bracelets? Just curious about how it all works.
January 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
She has two daughers who now have their own area in the page, and her items are selling for 20.00-200.00 a piece. At a 75% profit, and that is her only job... she can do that amount without too much trouble. A lot of the time to make depends on how creative you are... how easily you can come up with ideas. If I already have an idea I could make a bracelet in just shy of 15 mins, not including shopping for the beads, posting pictures/descriptions, taking pictures, mailing the item... which all counts for time, if you want to think of it that way. Necklace, less than 30 mins. Earrings, depends on the style. Nursing necklaces take a lot of time... bookmarks and lanyards, depends. Okay, enough of this talk though, I don't want to tell everything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search