Anastasia's weight...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=894803
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry she's having troubles!
December 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM
gctattoo
I agree that giving up nursing wouldn't help. I think that would only make things worse since that's her single voluntary means of sustenance. Does she drink beverages frm a sippy? What about nutritional shakes? Did you mention before that you were trying them? Alisha loves them and it makes me not worry so much when she won't eat well.

Does she refuse baby food, toddler food, all table food? There's gotta be something we can find that she'd eat. What about fruit? Alisha would eat nothing but fruit all day long if I'd let her. Scrambled eggs? Mac and cheese? Lunch meat? Salad?

Do you try to give her the food from your plate or does she have her own? Some kids want to have what you're having only. That's all I can think of that might help. It could just be that she's getting super active and just burning off all her calories.
December 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh hun! I'm sorry she's having trouble gaining. Is she still really active? You said she nurses a lot right, which means her appetite is good even if she doesn't want much table food.

You know I really wouldn't worry about her not eating much table food if she's still nursing really good. In a lot of countries children exclusively breastfeed until they are about 2 years old and THEN solid food is introduced.

I saw April had responded to your PR post and I'm sure she knows what you're going through because the doctor put poor Carly through SOOO many tests because she's a little skinny minnie and they labeled her FTT also. Which I totally don't get because she seems like she's thriving just fine to me and I'm sure Anastasia is too.
December 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We were using pediatric drinks, but she will only drink a bit of it, and it obviously isn't working. They want her on carnation instant breakfast now, but again we are having issues getting her to drink. She's not a huge drinker.

She does like McDonalds cheeseburgers and in desperation tonight we took her to get one. She ate nearly all of it. We buy different foods and offer them all day long and she gets a plate at all meals. Nothing so far she eats consistently. My house is piling up with food I buy to get her to eat, and it just doesn't work. I'm afraid of making too big of a deal out of it, in case it scares her further from eating.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

December 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope that Anastasia weight goes up for her next visit.

December 31st, 2007, 09:15 AM
CBMS
Beth... you know that Maddie had a lot of trouble getting to 20 lbs... she was well over 1 when she finally got there.

We were giving her the highest calorie boost (or the generic Walgreens version--theragran M I think it is), and we'd let her eat whatever it was she'd eat. She'll eat a McD's cheeseburger, so we'll get her that if she won't eat anything else at the time. She'll eat cheese, so we let her keep asking for more until she's done--even if it's half a block! We'll give her a LOT of the few things she'll eat. Yogurt--she loves it, so I get the fattiest one I can find. She finally hit a spurt (not until 18 months) that pulled her up above that 'below the 5th percentile' spot she'd gotten in to. Just be consistent and persistent, and she'll get there. Don't be afraid to give her lots of the things she WILL eat--even if doesn't seem to be that healthy (like the cheeseburgers). I also do a "big NONO" by giving Maddie spoonsful of peanut butter. She'll eat it; she asks for it; it's one of the few high fat things she'll consume a lot of; I don't argue. I just do it. I make sure she has a cup of milk to drink with it, and she's good to go. She has five or six (sometimes more) spoons of it just about every morning... as I said--it's a supposed nono, but I don't give a crap. It's fatty. It's yummy. It's being consumed...

I hope she starts eating a little better for you...
December 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Chris feeds her peanut butter by the spoonful too, lol. So far today she's eaten nothing...*sigh*.

December 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Don't stop nursing her, babe, and don't let any medicalized idiots convince you to. The nursing brigade is here to support you, doll. I'm sorry you're having such trouble. I can't imagine how difficult that must be for you. I agree with Kim ... just keep giving her whatever she wants whenever she wants it.
December 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, I know how frustrating it is when Roger goes through his not eating spurts, I can't imagine how I'd be if it was constant. Hang on to the nursing. I hope something works for you soon!
December 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
Okay, when I saw this topic I HAD TO reply! Evan, was born at 37.5 weeks, I was diagnosed wit pre-eclampsia and they knew he was only a "Five pounder". We'll, he was, 5 lbs 6 oz. He now is 23 pounds & 2 Years Old, it took him forever to reach 20 pounds. Actually, I thought by the time he was a year old, he was 20 pounds so I bought him a big boy car seat and turned it around only to go to the doc's and when they weighed him he was around 18 pounds! I struggled with this daily, feeling like - why isn't he gaining weight? Then, I took a look in the mirror and realized both his father and I are small framed people! So, I understood better. Why would he be a huge kid when we weren't? it's all genes! So, my boy has been in the 3-5% range since he was born! Now, we have a 6 month old daughter, who is 17 pounds! What a difference, but that goes to showing you every child is different and you can not compare. I did that and it caused me unneeded and unwanted stress and ... anxiety! I hope she starts to eat again! She will be in our prayers!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
December 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry to hear she's having trouble with weight gain. My nephew is having a hard time trying to gain as well. I don't think that stopping nursing is the way to go either. I hope she starts to gain soon.
December 31st, 2007, 04:21 PM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Beth I am so sorry you are going through this. Just know you are doing everything you can as a mom and you are not to blame. She will eventually eat! My cousin went through the same thing and it was totally freaky as he would go several days and only take very small bites of food. We didnt know how he was getting all of his energy.

Do what your gut tells you to do and maybe buy some cheeseburgers from McD's and freeze them? I know its not cost effective at all but maybe it will help to have them around to offer her on the really rough days?!

December 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM
We went out tonight and got her another cheeseburger. Lol. I also didn't realize that Nestle made Carnation Instant Breakfast. Chris just looked at me when I saw the box. He told me he knew how I much I hated them but could I put aside my hate for Anastasia? Of course, but I ranted and raved about it for a few minutes.

January 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
They do indeed make Carnation, which is crappy. That stuff tastes awful, IMHO. I would suggest something like Spirutein, available from the health food store, similar to Carnation, and available in way more flavors that don't taste gross. It's basically the same thing, and you can buy it in bulk or individual packets, whichever works better.
January 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
I will have to look into that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search