My latest receipt

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
There is only one grocery store in town, so as you can see I try to only buy what dairy, produce, and meat is on sale. I buy most of our pantry items either in bulk from a co-op or during my monthly (or less often) trips to Hell. Overall, this is pretty typical and representative of my shopping trips to this particular store, with the exception of the wine and taquitos.

Any pointers from you pros would be welcome!

DAIRY
four pounds pizza cheese (store sale, no cpn) $9.98
two pounds butter (thought it was on sale, but it wasn't ) $6.50
four 8oz. pkgs cheese (store brand on sale) $6.00

GROCERY
two 1/2 gallon jars pickles (store brand on sale) $4.96
two pounds egg noodles $4.50

MEAT FRESH
family pack ground chuck (on sale) about 7 1/2 pounds total $15.06

MEAT PACKAGE
taquitos (on sale and w/ cpn... I had DH with me. ) $6.60
1 lb bacon $3.19

PRODUCE
10 pounds apples (on sale) $11.98
two large rutabagas (on sale) $4.18
sweet potatoes (on sale) $3.80
5# carrots $3.39
about 11 pounds reduced bananas (overripe) $2.95
ginger root $.90
two packs celery (on sale) $1.78

WINE
DH made me buy it, LOL! 1-litre bottle Lanbrusco $9.89

subotal: $95.66
tax: $.59
TOTAL: $96.25

Savings total: $19.37

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No one's said anything yet??? Hmmm, well, I'll add my two cents (and that's probably all it will be worth )

Were your meat items on sale? I've gotten ground beef for 99 cents a pound and just this week got bacon for $2.50. Buy the meat when it's on sale (once you start watching, you'll see what a real sale is at your store) and freeze what you can. Until you've got a nice freezer stash going, plan your menu around what is on sale that week at your store.

I wait until egg noodles are $1/12 oz. and stock up on them. Since they're a dry good, you don't have to worry about them going bad. I sometimes see coupons for the "No Yolk" brand so I can get them even cheaper than $1.

Not sure how to cut back on the Dairy items. As for produce, I know a golden rule is to buy only what is in season.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most of what you have doesn't seem too outrageous, especially considering it's the only store around, so there's no real reason for them to compete! The noodles were pretty high priced though. I only buy noodles for $1/lb or less. I also won't pay more than 2.50/lb for bacon, actually I usually get the center cut which is less fatty and is 12 oz for the 2.50, but since it's better you don't feel the need to eat as much. I have no clue about prices for teh rutabags or swet potatoes, but the other produce seems okay.

I see DH being with cost an extra 17 bucks or so (wine and taquitos).

Keep in mind how many people you are buying for...as long as you're still staying within the $100/person/month suggestion you're doing great-a lot of us couldn't do what we do if we didn't have multiple stores close to us!

January 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Thanks for the ideas!

I didn't realize until you pointed it out that the noodles are too high... I think next time I need egg noodles for soup I'll try making them.

Produce selection and quality just absolutely stinks up here. It seems like nothing is ever in season.

Quote:
I see DH being with cost an extra 17 bucks or so (wine and taquitos).[/b]
LOL, so I guess leaving him at home is an important strategy! Seriously, that's almost 18% of my total!

I've been at about $130 per person (not counting the baby) per month the last couple of months. And that's JUST food... not including most household stuff. The prices for my co-op orders have been going up and I've been a bit lazy in the kitchen. I'm hoping to get back on top of things in the new year!

Thanks, Ladies!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
You can totally do $100/person/month, Jennifer. Look for apples especially for in season produce, because you're in Michigan and we grow a ton of apples ... not in the UP, but still better than buying Washington apples or some such nonsense. You've been busy with baby, so it totally makes sense that you're running a little high right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search