grocery game

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone here use the grocery game......www.grocerygame.com. I signed up for HEB and Kroger and saved over $30 last week. I also want to know if anyone uses coupons printed from coupons.com? MY local Kroger told me over the phone the only printed coupons they take are from Kroger online.
January 2nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The genereal consensus over here is that we find our own deals, thus not costing us any extra. But there are a few that have used the grocery game to assist them (mostly those who work full time and can't find time). Check out the December Grocery Challenge sticky at the top to check out the savings we have!
January 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
gctattoo
Ditto to what Kris said. I guess the grocery game might be helpful for those who don't have the time or inclination. But we do quite well finding the deals on our own. Plus I, for one, wouldn't spend the money on it. I'm too cheap.....errr....frugal.
January 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
As a general rule, I refuse to spend money on someone telling me how to save money. Blah. No thanks. Plus, the people on the forums over there are hoighty toighty and annoyingly righteous. I'm cheap on a whole other level than they are ... as I won't pay for them to tell me how to be cheap. Hardcore, I know.
January 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I am going to keep it for the two month period and then eliminate it. I figure it will help me become more focused right now. I just need to get the paper with the coupons in it and make sure I bring all coupons with me to the store- not select ones. I live in the middle of nowhere and even though I pay $1.75 for the Sunday paper- sometimes the darn coupons are not in there. Not all of the ads are either. I am really irritated about that. SOmeone is not doing there job and I have complained about it before.
Also, I would still like to hear if any of you use the coupons you can print off of the internet- namely coupons.com. I don't know what stores take them and will just have to drive out there are find out since they can't answer me over the phone.
January 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
A lot of us, almost all of us that I know of use the printable coupons (coupons.com, smartsource.com, etc). Most stores take them, some limit how many, and others (like the evil WM) do not. Publix for one, if you have one near you, takes printables and there is no limit on to how many you use (at my local store anyway).
January 3rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my kroger has no limit on coupons and printables

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
January 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
gctattoo
I think I've only used printables at WM. I've never had a problem with it, but I've only used a few at a time.
January 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Walmarts online coupon policy says they are supposed to take printables but most stores I've found won't. I've thought about taking the policy in and arguing it but then just decided to stop shopping at Walmart all together. Problem solved.
January 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had problems with printables at a Walgreens (who say they don't take them) and a CVS (who said I made them!).
January 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have only had one problem with a store not taking a printable and that was Walmart and only because it didn't scan. I use printables everywhere, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walgreens and CVS. Oh and Albertstons. I never even thought to ask if they take them or not. I just had them to the cashier.

January 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found the grocery game to be a fantastic stepping stone into the coupon world. However, that's all it really is, a stepping stone. For me, it tended to be highly inaccurate, and it only had 1 of my local stores, so quite often, it would tell me to buy something at that particular store, when at store ABC just a few blocks away, I could get the item for less.

I'm thankful for the grocery game because they did get me to start couponing, and it taught me the basics. However, you won't experience the 50-75% savings that most of us get on a regular basis by following the grocery game. Learn from it what you can, and then cancel it and continue on your own.

Oh, and I just began hard-core couponing 6 months ago. My 2007 savings was $6659, overall savings of 55%. AND that's with 6 months of regular shopping and 6 months of couponing. 2008 will be much much better.

January 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
wow jess! your awesome! I will be questioning you and following you this year! hehe!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
January 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh, and I just began hard-core couponing 6 months ago. My 2007 savings was $6659, overall savings of 55%. AND that's with 6 months of regular shopping and 6 months of couponing. 2008 will be much much better. [/b]
I didn't keep track of my savings for the year in 2007 (I also just started couponing and such this past year), but I am looking forward to watching it this year. I suppose I could back and look at the grocery challenges to get some idea!
January 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went back through the challenge results out of curiousity. In 7 months I spent 2228.31 and saved 3915.83. That almost 64%, so I would hope that I saved at least 50% for the whole year. I can't wait to see what the totals are for 2008!
January 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I track savings yearly like a super nerd, but mine weren't as sweet as Jess'. She does a lot more rebates than I'm willing to wait for, and she rocks because of it. My savings averaged out kind of makes me angry, because it looks lame, but then I remember that I shop at Save a Lot and Costco regularly and both of those show up percent saved 0% in my spreadsheet. They drag down my average.

Total Spent: $2468.54
Total Saved: $1880.48
43.2%

And while I'm at it ...

Debt Paid Off in 2007: $10,131.

January 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I track savings yearly like a super nerd, but mine weren't as sweet as Jess'. She does a lot more rebates than I'm willing to wait for, and she rocks because of it. My savings averaged out kind of makes me angry, because it looks lame, but then I remember that I shop at Save a Lot and Costco regularly and both of those show up percent saved 0% in my spreadsheet. They drag down my average.

Total Spent: $2468.54
Total Saved: $1880.48
43.2%

And while I'm at it ...

Debt Paid Off in 2007: $10,131.

[/b]
Costco drives me crazy because of that too.

And, if it makes you feel better, I spent twice as much as you too, lol.

January 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
It makes me feel a little better, of course.

I hate the intangible savings factor. I know I could calculate the per ounce or whatever differences and use those, but who really has time for that nonsense?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search