I'm having a weak moment ...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
*sigh*

I really want Netflix. They have awesome films you cannot get in this cow town I live in, and foreign films in languages I speak and don't need subtitles for. And the L Word on DVD. And on and on into oblivion.

Can I convince myself it's ok to spend $8.99 for the 1 at a time Netflix? Nope. Even if I'd be getting a $10 rebate back? Nope. It's killing me. It's $9 freaking dollars and it's killing me.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhh. Sometimes frugal guilt is the worst.
January 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love the L Word so I don't think I can talk you out of it. DH has the 3 at a time plan. I make him get foreign films for me

Sorry I can't help discourage you.
January 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
gctattoo
DO IT! I love my Netflix. That's the plan that I have and it IS worth it. Think of it this way: you rent movies from a local place usually, right? And how much does that cost? For us, it would be $4 for a new release. That's one movie. Period. But with my $8.99 Netflix subscription, I can get as many movies (including new releases) as I possibly can in a single month. What you gotta do is get on a good schedule. It's such an incredibly fast return that it's easy to work out the best scenario. Let's say I mail off a movie on Monday. They receive it on Tues. and I have my new one on Wed. I watch that one and mail it back out on Thurs. and then my next one arrives on Sat. And repeat. That's about 8-9 movies per month for the one at a time plan. Which could potentially cost $32 from the store instead of just $8.99 from Netflix.

And there's no schlepping to the video store in the cold only to see that the movie you want isn't there. And as you mentioned, getting movies and tv shows you can't find anywhere else. Plus you get a certain number of hours per month of instant viewing online for the older movies.

Go for it!
January 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I soooo wish I could talk DH into doing this instead of renting/PPV at $4 plus late fees on the rentals several times a month. Go for it Mandi!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I love Netflix We get 4 movies at a time. Much cheaper than buying or renting them, or paying for movie channels. I think there are netflix coupons floating around that you can get like 3 free months.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I get all my movies at the library... however, I won't discourage you either, although you seem to be asking for discouragement?

I am of the mindset that a little "luxery" is a good thing if it raises your happiness quota. On the other hand of course, you certainly don't need it, you haven't died yet for not having it.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yea.

You see, we don't so much rent movies ... I tend to see them as a luxury that isn't worth the cash. So, we wouldn't really be saving anything cash wise or it'd be easier to convince myself. I would be getting a $10 rebate by signing up, so the first month would be free ... but ugh. I surely have not, nor will I die without movies. They simply tempted me today, and I'm not usually tempted by my tightwad ascetic lifestyle. *shrug* I just needed to kvetch to someone else who was frugal and would get it.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use our Discover card to earn reward dollars and then cash in the 20 dollars for 10 free movie coupon at Hollywood Video (which is really like $40 then bc they are 3.99 apiece). Somehow we hadn't used the card for awhile and ran out of movie coupons and had to pay for some of them! Man that stunk!

We've thought about something like Netflix, but we hardly watch any movies during the warm months. We usually just do it in the winter!
January 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have gotten to where we only rent from Redbox now. $1 a movie ain't bad.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Sometimes when I want something, or want to do something a bit different than I usually do, I just need to talk about it. Like... when I think about sending Matthew to the local public school, vs. home schooling. I just talk about it to DH for a few minutes and I am good for a few months. He must know I am quite a flake by now, but that is okay, we work out okay.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
The difference, I suppose, is that I don't really ever *want* anything. I'm happy as a clam just the way we are. It threw me today to be torn over something so basically small (and lame), that's all. I can remember a time when I would have laughed about $8, and for a split second I felt a little overly crazy for it bugging me. I mean, really, it's $8 ... but ... that's not something I would ever say anymore.

*sigh*

How different life is now.
January 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I say you go for it or talk to B about better ways to fill that void

for the record my B, not yours

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
January 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
After the rebate, it would be right at $100 a year. Think of what else you could do with that $100 and decide which option you want to take. I personally think if you want to do it you should it. Do you have to sign up for X number of months? If not, sign up for the month that's free basically and at least try it out. If you decide that it doesn't really provide a good enough level of entertainment, cancel.
January 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
gctattoo
Quote:
I say you go for it or talk to B about better ways to fill that void

for the record my B, not yours[/b]
Woohoooooo, do tell. Is there something going on between Mandi and B? Hehe. You got it a little backwards.
January 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy

that is so not what I meant, but it definitely did come across that way.

My Blog
January 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Is your husband hitting on me again? Now via you posting on the internet?

"How *you* doin'?"

Muahahahaha.
January 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy

my hubby is an idiot

My Blog
January 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
... but he's hilarious, that's for sure.
January 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It did sound kinda funny, but I knew what Liz was talking about based on other posts she's made.
January 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
It was especially hilarious to me considering the quote I posted actually came out of his mouth not once, not twice, but at least three times on New Year's Eve while I was on the phone. Silly B ...

P.S. I still want the freaking Netflix. Grrr.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search