This is making me sick......

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Veteran
This is wayyyy off topic, but I have got to get this out. I've been putting it off, and putting it off, but I have to face it soon. As some of you might know, Anthony my 3 1/2 year old, was diagnosed with Autism this past summer. Well that all started with a speech delay. I'm pretty sure Harrison, my 18 month old, is following in his footsteps. Not only is his speech not where it should be, (only says 4-5 words maybe), but I see some other red flags as well.

I'm calling the doctor this afternoon to make appts. for both of them. I want Harrison to be evaluated, and Anthony is having alot of problems too. It just makes me sick.

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
January 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
speech isn't a necessary indicator. Anastasia is 17 months and still hasn't said her first word yet. I hope it works out well.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
CBMS
I have a nephew that never spoke a word when he was a little guy. He didn't start really talking until he was maybe 4? (Jody--correct me if he was younger/older).

He's still a pretty quiet boy...
January 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
to beth

I know that you are more concerned because of your experience, but my son is 25 months and still says very little. He doesnt use words at all just sounds

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
January 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
same here. My son just in the last 2 months has started to really "Talk", and he will be 25 months old next week.

</div><div align="center">

</div>
January 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Veteran
I think that is why I keep going back and forth. Because I know it could mean he's just a late talker, but that is what everyone told me with Anthony too. Plus some other signs are there also like head banging, tantrums over nothing, he won't play with toys, doesnt' really interact with anyone. But that could also be his age too.

I just looked back to old posts on another message board that I made about Anthony when he was around Harrison's age. And they are very similar. I think that is what scares me. Plus the odds that Harrison will be autistic are very good, I can't remember numbers, but it was like a 75% chance since they are the same sex. But another thing it could be is Harrison immitating Anthony. Ant's teacher warned us about that too.

I don't know, part of me feels like I should not ignore it. But then the other part says to wait until he's two and then worry.

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
January 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am by no means telling you to not get him looked at, I just dont want you to worry until you at least know something

My Blog
January 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
CBMS
Quote:
to beth

I know that you are more concerned because of your experience, but my son is 25 months and still says very little. He doesnt use words at all just sounds[/b]
I think that is more prevalent with the more children you have, too... they have voices without saying a word when they're the youngest of several.

Quote:
I am by no means telling you to not get him looked at, I just dont want you to worry until you at least know something[/b]

January 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Layne is so far behind right now, we are just trying to keep him from falling farther behind. Its a constant struggle

My Blog
January 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Veteran
I so understand the constant struggle. Anthony will do sooo good on his speech, and I'll get excited that maybe he'll actually start conversating. But no, he can say almost anything now, but not without prompting. Although he did say "I wuv you" to me the other night without me saying it first

I just don't want to make the same mistake we made with Anthony. Before he was two I "knew" something wasnt' right. But everyone kept saying that he was just a later talker, or that his older sister/brother did too much talking for him. It took us until he was 3+ to finally realize there was more to it.

I already said when we found out about Anthony that I would someday have Harrison tested no matter what. Just to ease my mind. I"m just really stuck on whether to do it now or wait.

Thank you ladies, I'm glad someone out there understands.

January 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I hope that it just turns out to be a normal thing. My brother who is now 24 has a speech problem. He didn't speak until he was 4 and then it was completely garbled. He's not autistic though it's just a speech thing and a lot of kids have that problem. It's a lot more common than people think.

I don't blame you for being worried though. Once you have one child diagnosed with Autism I think you tend to end up over analyzing every little thing with any younger children because you don't want to miss the warning signs.

January 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Hugs. You can always get him evaluated, as long as it doesn't involve medication... no harm done, esp. if your insurance covers an evaluation.

I will add... Evan is 32mo. he has always had a ton of words, but he hadn't been putting them together well, or speaking clearly. It is a hard choice to decide, get them evaluated and treated, or do they really need it. He is doing better though, somewhat.

Good luck and lotsa, lotsa hugs.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Both of my kids are head bangers too. They even tested Anthony for Autism, but he doesn't have it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it will ease your mind if you got him tested.
January 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most docs won't do testing until at least 2 though. My cousin is severly autistic (he's 8), communicates very little, but when tested, he tests in high school ranges! I know it can be very frustrating Just remember, the more frustration you show, the harder it is on them.
January 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Veteran
See I"m kinda leaning on waiting until he's two to get him tested. I thought I had read that somewhere before! DH thinks I"m crazy. He sees a HUGE differance in the boys, and I kinda see it too. But I also see the little things that we ignored with Anthony in Harrison.

Needless to say I didn't call the doctor to make an appt today. I got caught on the phone for 2 freaking hours trying to straighten out Anthony's insurance and therapy. Stupid people!! Why can't it just be easy??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search