My garden is producing

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
We are getting through the colder months here... it should start warming up a tad sometime in Feb. It doesn't really warm up until the end of June here though. It is in the mid 40's right now. I planted in early October. I planted some 10 cent packs of seeds and some others that I got for half price. Not everything came up, but it is a trial run anyway. I have never planted in the fall before and I just learned you could do it and got started a little late. I pulled up 5 radishes and more are growing. It looks like my peas are coming along okay and some lettuce. I am wondering if there is anything I could/should plant right now. I would like to make better use of the two raised beds I built a while back. I would like to build more of those, and also we have a hill in our back yard. We are only on .21 of an acre, but if I could terrace the hill and put stairs in, not only would it be less dangerous going up and down, but I could plant edible things there as well. I also have 2 blueberry plants. They didn't do anything last year (when I bought them the previous year they had a few blueberries on them). I must have done something, or not done something to ruin my crop last year. They didn't even flower. What did I do wrong?

My strawberries that I got off of freecycle are looking like they have settled in nicely. Hoping for a crop mid-late June.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 4th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea about gardening, but I know I loved when we had strawberries growing in our backyard when I was a kid.
January 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Blueberries take a while to produce consistently. They may have been producing when you bought them, but root shock can send them back to not producing quite easily. Berries like that can take some time to readjust. The specific variety that you have will tell you how long they traditionally take to produce fruit.

I can't garden in the off season unless I do indoor flats, which annoy me in general. It's far too cold for gardens in the wintertime in Michigan, unless you late plant garlic that you want to pull in the spring. That's about the only thing that works here. I don't know cold it is there regularly, but I wouldn't start anything from seed at this point. If I were going to plant anything, it would have to be from root stock as the seeds probably won't get warm enough to germinate just yet.
January 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I grew up in SW Michigan, so I know the weather there, a bit too well. In fact I am planning on visiting there this summer. Plans are underway at least.

At night it probably on occasion gets down to the high twenties, usually the 30's. I need to investigate how early I can plant peas. The ones I planted in October are still alive, they have only grown about 5 inches though and they are supposed to grow to about 6ft. It doesn't warm up to the 70's until June or July... but it gets to about 50 on many days in Feb, March.

Do I really need to fertilize the blueberries? I planted them in a spot that I thought would be acidic. WIll they not grow at all if I don't fertilze them? Maybe that is the problem. Do I need more than 2 plants? However, they didn't even flower.

I need to do that seeding research I guess still. I don't want to miss out due to my chronic procrastination. Esp. as I am not pregnant yet and I get TOO SICK to do much of anything a good part of my pregnancy, assuming it happens that is.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Two plants should be fine for cross pollination. Whether you need to fertilize depends on the leaves. Is the bush growing? Are the leaves pathetic looking? If so, maybe some fertilizer would do it well. If the leaves look fine, then it probably just needs time. Fruit producers are finicky like that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search