What is?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2004, 08:19 AM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
What is the strangest pet you have ever owned?

We had 2 white mice both named Stuart for a while. We had to give them up when we moved back to KS. Ave was pretty upset he loved the stuarts lol. They were fun we would put them in the dry tub and play with them.

July 31st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was in grad. school, I had two pet rats. Rats are very intelligent and actually make great pets. Believe it or not, you can teach them to do tricks and to come when they're called!

When I was a kid I had hermit crabs and I had a ferret once too.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

July 31st, 2004, 02:19 PM
Veteran
We had hermit crabs that my sister got for my ds & dss for Christmas. They lasted about a month! They sure did require a lot more care than I would have expected. And I found them to be quite gross...they reminded me too much of spiders! My ds took them out of the cage & then forgot about them...we found one about a week later & the other one about a month later in the dogs mouth!!
July 31st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bjankeky@Jul 31 2004, 04:19 PM
We had hermit crabs that my sister got for my ds & dss for Christmas. They lasted about a month! They sure did require a lot more care than I would have expected. And I found them to be quite gross...they reminded me too much of spiders! My ds took them out of the cage & then forgot about them...we found one about a week later & the other one about a month later in the dogs mouth!!
OMG I HATE SPIDERS YUCK I dont even like shrimp b/c they look too much like spiders. And oh man the smell musta been bad....

July 31st, 2004, 09:09 PM
Ma2RayPooh
i think i got you all beat so far the weirdest pet I have ever had was a Hedge Hog. I got him when I was 17yrs old and he lived for almost two years. I dont know why it died, not from old age that is for sure. I really loved that little thing, he was the coolest pet I have ever had. I would get one again in a heart beat if they werent so darn pricey! the best part about it is my male friends in high school were scared of it! HAHA the weirdest pet we have now is a hermit crab. i got it for my dd when i went to the beach for my birthday, came back with a gift for her!
August 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea that hermit crabs were so popular!

I don't think I've seen a Hedge Hog since I left Massachusetts. They had them in the pet stores all over there. Cute little things, but definitely very prickly. You wouldn't want someone to drop one in your lap! LOL.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Ryansmommy
Ive had hermit crabs before.. I love them things.. I found them easy to care for. Ive told Ryan he can have one lol. Ok pets Ive had... fiddler crab, newt, tadpole, dwarf frogs, do men count?
August 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
I have had a few pet rats!!(I actually had one when I Moved in with dh but he would not let me have her so My parents had to keep her and wll a year later she died!!
I have also had pet mice!!
~Kelly
August 2nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Armywife
When I was growing up, we had a pet pig in our house!!! He was the cleanest animal I have EVER seen! He was even potty trained, and would do tricks for crackers! His name was Booger!!!
August 5th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to Rainmist
Well, since I'm the mother of a boy we've had some unusual ones. No hedgehogs or piggies tho .... lol. Lizards, hermit crabs, baby slider turtles fished out of the ditch, grass snakes, garter snakes ( god they are mean, too - they'll bite you in a heartbeat !! ). My faves are the two squirrels, my cats bring me a baby every few years. I'm about to release a flying squirrel this weekend, his name is Houdini because as a baby he'd get out of his cage over and over again. Drove the cats wild. His nickname is Scooby Snack. I also had a gray squirrel named Link - and I'll tell you, he loved me like his own mama. He would lie on my shoulder and I would scratch his back and he would just squeak and squawk - but never bit me. I taught him how to play, I would grab him with my hand and wrestle him - flip him etc. - and he would jump right back for more. Squirrels are misunderstood - they are loyal and quite affectionate. I sure do miss that little bugger !!
August 6th, 2004, 05:34 AM
alyssasmommy2001
I have a ferret, and DH is talking about buying a pot-bellied pig.
August 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
alexandersmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to alexandersmom
Hermit crabs, we had one that lived for quite a few years! Had a 10 gallon fish tank with beach sand and a branch for him to climb on, he ate corn meal and dried fruit. Actually we had a couple of them, they were cool. I would never have a spider but if Alexander ever wants a hermit crab I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I have a friend who is raising quail.

August 6th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Quail??? That's interesting!

August 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
alexandersmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to alexandersmom
Yes, quail! He keeps trying to give me some! I said no thank you! His wife told him that if he breeds anymore he's going to be living outside with the quail! LOL! Alexander loves to look at them when we go over to their house. He wanted them to eat the ticks now he has too many.

August 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM
i had a horned lizard for awhile but nothing out of the ordinary
August 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM
Rylee'sMommy03's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Rylee'sMommy03
When I was in 8th grade I had two Hermit Crabs.
August 22nd, 2004, 07:12 AM
oreokitten
We have hermit crabs right now. 5 of them. I used to have Rats, and they are very trainable and fun! We used to have a pet turkey when I was young, and guinea pigs....We live next door to my parents and they have Llamas and Alpacas(15 I think) and angora bunnies. The kids like to go over a lot and see them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search