What are som KID Friendly Dogs?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Alright so Jaden loves dogs of any kind.. Although he is 14 months old (about to be anyways) we thought it would be nice to get him a cute little puppy (outdoors though, since we are abotu to have another baby)

anyway, we went yesterday and bought an underground fence... One day we hope to get a regular chain link fence but they are so costly right now.

Anyway we are thinking of a lab retriever..either Golden or Black.

I had a golden lab when I was younger and my parents have two black labs right now..

I know that THESE dogs are good with kids, but before we get one I want to know what other outdoor dogs are really kid friendly....

Thanks@ We are planning to instal the fence tonight or tommorrow and get him a dog sometimes this week!

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

August 10th, 2004, 09:07 AM
YankeeMom
In my experience, Labs (I agree w/ you) and our Sheltie (shetland sheepdog) are both WONDERFUL with kids

Here's an online Breed Selector http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
August 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please consider going through a rescue or shelter. We got one of our dogs through a rescue program and it was the best choice we could have made. He was fostered in a home with children of different ages so we knew we would not have a problem when we finally started a family. He is 100% purebred, only 9 mos old when we got him, neutered, utd on all his vaccs, and the adoption fee was significantly cheaper than we would have paid from the least reputable breeder out there. Rescues work hard to understand the tempraments of the dogs they adopt out so you are sure to find a great match for you family.

Sorry, I'm getting off my soapbox now. :soapbox:

August 10th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Ma2RayPooh
well you already said Labs, which what I was going to say and also golden retrievers are great with kids. I have a german short haired pointer and she is a big dog but 100% great with kids of all ages. But every dog is differnt that is the bad thing. My dog is great with kids where another might not be. I have a pom and she is really good with RayAnne and other kids BUT most poms are snappy little ankel bitters! LOL I guess it all depends on where you get the dog and how they were raised. best of luck to you!
August 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
I have heard Golden Retrievers are the best to have with kids.

August 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are considering getting a Boxer. They are supposed to be GREAT with kids.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM
YankeeMom
Quote:
Originally posted by Iris@Aug 10 2004, 11:16 AM
Please consider going through a rescue or shelter. We got one of our dogs through a rescue program and it was the best choice we could have made. He was fostered in a home with children of different ages so we knew we would not have a problem when we finally started a family. He is 100% purebred, only 9 mos old when we got him, neutered, utd on all his vaccs, and the adoption fee was significantly cheaper than we would have paid from the least reputable breeder out there. Rescues work hard to understand the tempraments of the dogs they adopt out so you are sure to find a great match for you family.

Sorry, I'm getting off my soapbox now. :soapbox:
I completely agree
All three of our animals were adopted from pet rescues or shelters.
Our orange tabby was from the SPCA. Our purebred Maine Coon (cat - mucho $$ from a breeder) was from a rescue. And our purebred AKC (we have her papers) Sheltie came from a shelter...her first owners were going overseas and could not take her.

So you can definitely find a purebred from a shelter If that's what you want.
August 10th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We currently have a chocolate lab, who replaced our yellow lab. Both have been wonderful with the kids--Koko lets Kira walk all over her (literallly!!)

sorry, that's the extent of my experience!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
August 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM
well i have 3 kids 6 2 and 1 and we have a boston terrier and a springer spaniel both are great with kids and the springers are very obedient loving and extremely intelligent
August 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Golden Retriever..........My brother & sis-in-law had one for years until he got real sick. They have 3 boys. Bo-Bo was great with them.

August 11th, 2004, 04:34 PM
zonapellucida
Golden retriever or black lab
August 11th, 2004, 05:40 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
I grew up with Shelties(Shetland SHeepdogs). I love them and DH & I plan to keep that as our family pet(s).
August 12th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
I def agree with Labs!! we have a yellow lab and The girls use her for a step stool and there own horse LOL!!
they pull her tail and she is great!!
The one thing is tho make sure you train your dog well (Even spend themoney on training lessons I have heard dogs that are trained are better and dont jump on kids so ealily!!

Goo dluck on your doggy hunt!! and I agree a shelter is a agood place!!
And take your child so that the dog can pick you out!! that is osmething I was told If an animal is the one doing th choosing you are better off !!
Just thought good luck!!
~Kelly
August 17th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Armywife
We have a Boston terrior and I LOVE him!!!! He is great with my kids!
August 17th, 2004, 09:26 AM
kikimama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kikimama Send a message via Yahoo to kikimama
I have to agree with the boston terrior! We have one and she is great with the kids! I also agree with the "pound puppy" idea! I grew up with a pound puppy(she was a mix of breeds, I couldnt tell you what) and she was the most loving and most protective dog I ever had! She was great with kids of all ages! You could mess with her all you wanted and she wouldnt bat an eye! If a stranger came too close, she was on guard. She is still that way with my kids! Good luck!
August 17th, 2004, 11:52 AM
I Heart 4x4
I am going to say that airedale terriers are the best dogs for kids, because of my experience with my own airedale. He's the sweetest dog I have ever met, and he is SO gentle around the baby. Let's him walk on him and ride him like a horse, as you can see from this picture last Christmas. He doesn't shed either ... at least not nearly as bad as most dogs do. He's very protective of his family but has never, ever hurt us. He won't even bite us - you can put your fist in his mouth and he'll push it out with his tongue and then lick your hand. The only problem with terriers in general is they dig - but they only dig if you allow them to. It's a training issue.

By the way, the guy holding him is my older brother Ryan. Hehe.

They're also very ... nosy ... too. LOL!

August 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
jenret's Avatar Member
We are big fans of Labs also. We have 2 and they are great and very gentle with my nephews. We like to say that you can hang from their ears and they would just lick you. We got our second lab from Labs 4 Rescue . They have a lot of purebred and mutts. The yellow lab in my sig is from that rescue league.

jen

<br clear="all">

<br clear="all">
*HUGS* TOTAL!
give LittleRhody more *HUGS*

Get hugs of your own<br clear="all">

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search