Kitties and a new baby

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Just wondering what everyone elses experiences are on your kitties and a newborn. Nearly everyone (except my partner and parents) seem to be freaking out at the fact that I have 3 indoor kitties.

My kitties have always been my babies and they are very spoilt. They have 2 outdoor enclosures, beds and cat scratches galore.

What I think will be the only issue will be one of my girls in particular wanting to snuggle up to the bubba. Obviously I won't be able to leave her unattended which is fine by me.

I've been planning this for quite a while and have a concertina door seperating upstairs from downstairs. So the furbabies will go nowhere near where bubba sleeps ever.

Is everyone else over reacting or am I being too relaxed?
January 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you're over reacting and everyone else is living on another planet LoL. There's no reason your cats can't go where your baby sleeps. I wouldn't let them sleep together, but cats typically move when babies move, they don't like the screaming, crying, babies grab eye balls, fur and tails and typically kitties don't cuddle up with the baby for very long if at all given those factors (even the friendliest of cats).

I owned 2 indoor cats when my son was born and got another not too long after, all are 100% indoors had them for 9 years now and my son is now 8 years old and alive and well and everyone is just fine. It's also proven kids that are born into animal homes have a greater chance of NOT developing allergies.

No reason kitties cannot be around baby or to block them (in fact this may just entice kitties to become pissed off) from rooms, etc. Baby will be fine, cats will be fine, and everyone will learn to co-exist together.
February 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I used to think like the above poster, until I had twin babies & had something not-so-good happen.

While I will NEVER get rid of my kitties, I do think it's a good idea to separate them from helpless babies. One of my cats, who is fearless & likes to curl up on people, actually curled up DIRECTLY ON THE FACE of one of my sleeping girls. I watched the whole thing. When baby tried to push him off, he just curled on tighter! I'm not sure what he was thinking (probably, mmmm, warm!) but I couldn't help but think all those weird stories I'd heard about cats "stealing baby's breath" came from cats like mine!

So one vote for separate. I don't think you're overreacting. There are also crib tents you can buy to keep curious kitties out of the crib.

ETA - I totally agree about the allergies. I think it has something to do with not only pet allergen exposure, but also exposure to dirt/pollen/etc in general. Babies need dirt to develop a healthy immune system!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Last edited by LisaB; February 15th, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
February 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your reply Lisa. I haven't updated the forum as it's been a bit of a bad week.

I had a miscarriage last week (found out at my 12 week scan that it just never actually formed ) and had to put down one of my beloved kitties on Monday this week. She'd been at the vets for 4 days and didn't get any better at all no matter what they did for her Lots of tears this week
February 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm very sorry to hear about both. Big hugs to you and your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search