Bulgy eye in dog?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Hey ladies, hope that one of you can help me out!

Yesterday I took my 2 dogs to a new off leash dog park. The big one is fine but the smaller one is having a bit of trouble since we left. As we were leaving I noticed that his right upper eyelid was swelled out like a blister. We swung by the vet on our way home who said he probably just scratched it, and to just ice it if it didn't come down.

By bedtime last night iwas gone so I stopped worrying. Of course now this morning his OTHER eye has something similar. This time it's on the bottom eyelid, and I can actually see the sclera of his eye (the white) is bulged out. It's a little red. When he closes this eye it looks JUST like the blister on the other eye.

I've been trying to figure this out and all I can guess is that he ran into some weird vegetation or dust or something that's irritated his eyes. They're not super red but he's been whinier than usual (this dog is a HUGE whiner at the best of times) so he could be in a bit of discomfort.

One dog forum I visited said to give him some Benadryl. I've given a cat with bee sting allergies baby Benadryl in the past, so I'm not weirded out by that idea, but not sure how much to give him or if this would clear up some of the problem... anyone have any thoughts?
February 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah try the Benadryl, although I'd skip the liquid due to the sweetners. It's 1mg per pound of dog. Your standard pill Benadryl is 25mg so you can cut it in half, quarters, or give more than one depending on the weight. You can give it every 8-12 hours. I'd start with 12, if it isn't doing anything move down to 8. If you try this today and tomorrow and it is still not gone by Monday he needs to go back into the vet as a steroid injection may end up being needed.

Good luck!
February 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Thanks Meghan! I didn't make it to town for the pill so I made do with the liquid and he is now 100 times better - back to his usual self, trying to get into the garbage and lying on the couch. so relieved! Thanks again!
February 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just make sure to ALWAYS read the ingredients as many meds have artificial sweetners that can kill dogs.

Also don't be surprised if when it wears off the symptoms come back, it may take a few doses and awhile for it to go away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search