Any tips for cat-trapping? :)

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I have a stray kitty who's been living out of my garage. I have a cat door, that's how he got in, and since it's been so cold lately I just let him stay, & feed him.

Yesterday I found out he's injured - limping & not putting any weight on one leg. Well I've been meaning to trap him & get him fixed, but I'm pregnant & have twin toddlers, and have just been too busy. So now I will finally do this.

I borrowed a trap from the pound. They won't take ferals until Tuesday morning, so I think the best thing to do is set the trap Monday night. They say to put down newspaper & cover the trap with a towel.

I was wondering, is newspaper on the floor of the trap best, or should I put another towel down? What if he poops/pees in there, do I change the paper/towel? How do I do this with an angry feral cat in the cage? I think he needs to stay in there for awhile after the surgery to make sure he's ok, then I re-release him into our yard.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! >^..^<

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It may just be trial and error. I think if you put a towel in there and a can of cat food you'll be good.

However, I'd take him to the Humane Society versus the pound. The pound isn't going to treat his injured leg. I'd personally recommend you trap him and relinquish him to the Humane Society. They'll determine if he is a) fixable and b) adoptable and deal with him accordingly.

Good luck!
February 15th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
If he is truly feral, he would likely stand a high chance of being euthanized at the shelter. I've never really heard of recommendations to put a towel or anything inside the trap. Honestly, having had to get more feral cats out of traps than I would ever want to in one lifetime, I was always more annoyed at anything more than a cat and maybe a can of food in the trap. Because by the time we're dealing with it, the cat is ticked off and the stuff inside is probably a peed-on poopy mess. Covering the trap however is a good idea. Ideally if you've been feeding the cat and now want to trap him, withhold any food you would normally provide for 24-48 hours before you set the trap ((you did say he is free to come and go so you are not intentionally starving him)) and when you set the trap, bait it with something yummy like pate style wet food to make it really tempting to go in there.

Not all shelters are the same, but I used to work at my local humane society and if it was feral, it went night-night after it's stray time was up with no questions asked. If he's just a sweet stray though he should have some good chances. It makes much more sense to expend time and money on an animal who can lead a good life and is possibly adoptable rather than treating something that wants to eat your face no matter what. ((Catching very ticked-off flying feral cats can be entertaining but is a hazard to your health ))

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
February 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
We're doing TNR. I'm not sure if it's the shelter or the pound, but they have a TNR program for $25 where they vaccinate, neuter, notch the ear, diagnose medical issues & give back to the owner/finder. They'll give him back to me, I made sure of that. The only thing is I don't know what's wrong with his leg. Hopefully something not expensive to fix! He's such a cutie, I really hope he's not feral, but he sure acts like it.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Really wish they would just keep him. We don't need more cats running around to defecate in people's front yards, get hit by cars, etc. *sigh*.
February 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
EagleNest01's Avatar Bird Dog
Good luck! He could just be acting the way he is because he is hurt. Especially since he doesn't know you that well. Food is one thing, jumping in your lap and cleaning and grooming you is another. Either way, be careful! Thoes claws and teeth can give you one nasty infection that will be very difficult to deal with while pregnant! Best of luck and please let us know how it turns out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search