question on shedding

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
Hi, I've been lurking here and wanted to post a quick question. My dogs shed a lot, I have five. And when I was working I thought I just wasn't keeping up with it. I have a Siberian Husky F 2yr a lab/husky mix short hair M 3yr, there two puppies, short haired F 1yr, and a mutt that has medium hair F unknown age. as well as three cats... My baby is three months and we are all covered in hair. The dogs are downstairs and the cats are upstairs, but no pets come into the bedroom (we have a problem with one of them peeing)... I brush the dogs every day, and vaccuum every day and remove the hair from the sofas everyday and within minutes there is hair and dust coating everything again. What am I doing wrong??? my tv is white half the time from dust and hair, the baby has hair in her mouth all the time and it's all over my clothes, and I can even see it floating through the air.. I know animals shed, but how do I cut down on it on the couches and the rest of my home??? any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks!
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What do you feed and do you give any supplements?
February 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
They were eating beneful but then they started to refuse to eat that so we had them on purina one and then two of them refused to eat that and now they are on some kind of dental stuff. I forget which one, my hubby researched it. And no, they don't have any supplements. should I be giving them supplements?
February 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanickel81 View Post
They were eating beneful but then they started to refuse to eat that so we had them on purina one and then two of them refused to eat that and now they are on some kind of dental stuff. I forget which one, my hubby researched it. And no, they don't have any supplements. should I be giving them supplements?
Well that's 98% of your problem right there. Beneful (and Purina) are EXTREMELY low quality crummy foods. It'd be like you eating McDonald's for 3 meals a day your entire life. I'd highly recommend you look at www.dogfoodanalysis.com and choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food. Below is what I have written up for my pet sitting clients to help them choose a better food that may help you. If you're on a strict budget then I'd recommend Costco's food, if you can afford better then I would recommend one of the better foods. Please also realize that you will feed CONSIDERABLY less on a premium food versus a low quality food. I would also recommend fish oil (human) capsules general dose is 1,000mg per 20 pounds of body weight. I educate free of charge on dog nutrition so if you have any other questions please feel free to just ask.

Also, no healthy dog will voluntarily starve itself. So if you run into your dogs choosing not to eat again, simply continue feeding what you are feeding, when they get hungry they will eat. If you want to change ONCE just to see if they need a "change of pace" that's fine, but again no healthy dog will voluntarily starve itself, they will eat when they get hungry.

A good rule of thumb is, if you can buy the food at a grocery store, discount store (Wal-Mart, Target, etc), or PetSmart (minus Blue Buffalo) or PetCo (minus Solid Gold, Wellness, and Natural Balance) it’s the equivelent of you eating McDonald’s on a daily basis. Brands like Iams, Science Diet, Purina, Dog Chow, Ol Roy, Beneful, Pedigree, Eukanuba, just to name a few are very poor quality foods. You can go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble to help you choose a healthy food for your dog.

Good food brands/suggestions to name a few (not in any particular order):

Canidae

Solid Gold

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

Nature's Variety

Wellness

Natural Balance

Innova

California Natural

Taste of the Wild

Kirkland Signature (Costco brand)-this is a good food if you are on a strict budget

Below is some basic info on what makes a food good/bad:

In a food you want a food without corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal or anything else that mentions corn, without wheat, by products, soy, animal digest, BHA, BHT, these are the things I can think of off the top of my head. You want the first ingredient to be preferably a named meat MEAL product (ie Chicken meal or turkey meal, lamb meal, whatever), a whole meat is okay, just remember that a whole meat (ie chicken, turkey, lamb, etc) is about 80% water so when it's cooked, it will drop it to around the 3rd ingredient instead of 1st. So for example if your ingredients read, chicken, brown rice, white rice, this means that chicken really isn't the first ingredient it's rice which is okay, just something to be noted. Now if it is chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, this is correct as in meal form it is already cooked, there is no water in it and it's weight is a true weight and this is a good thing. Corn is 100% non digestible for dogs (humans too) and is a very common allergen in dogs and the #1 cause for scratching, chewing, hot spots and the like, wheat is also non digestible for dogs and a common allergen, by products are things such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, intestines, supposedly exclusive of feathers and blood “except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices” as AAFCO states, animal digest is chemical hydrolosis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue, BHA and BHT are known carcinogens (poison that causes cancer) so you can obviously see why you don't want this in their food.

Anyway, this is just scratching the surface but it's a good place to start anyway. If you want any additional tips please let me know. Good rule of thumb, if you cannot say “yes I know what that is” it probably isn’t something you want your dog to eat. Most people know what chicken is or rice is or oatmeal is or lamb is or barley is, many people do not know what by-products or animal digest are.

For a personal brand that I have used and like (just for some place to start), I recommend Innova or Natural Balance as long as there are no allergies to ingredients, as it is the healthiest at a reasonable price. I get a 28 pound bag of Natural Balance Duck and Potato for around $47 (their non limited ingredient diets I believe are cheaper, but my dog has allergies so I have to stick with the grain free limited line) and with a 63 pound female dog and a 67 pound male dog it lasts me exactly 3 weeks. I get it at PetCo (oddly enough ti is the cheapest in my area) which has a buy 10 get one free program (not all at the same time), but the manufacturer has the same deal so basically I buy 10 bags and get 2 free so price wise it's very reasonable especially for 2 large dogs. If you go to their website, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1 they will send you coupons as well. Natura, The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World – Natural & Organic Pet Food – Natura Pet Products, who makes Innova will also send you coupons to try their product and both brands offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if you are not satisfied for any reason you can return it and receive a full refund (all of the premium foods offer this return policy so you're not out anything to try any of them). You will also feed considerably less because more of the food will be used by the animal rather than excreted by the body. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul is also very reasonably priced in most places as is Taste of the Wild.

I hope this sheds some light on dog foods for you and again if you have any questions please let me know.
February 21st, 2010, 06:14 AM
wow.. thanks for the advice... i'll try some of those and see which one works best for us.
February 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Make sure to choose one food and try one food for at least a couple of months. Changing up too often will cause imbalances as well not to mention tummy issues in a lot of dogs. And it'll take 2-3 months to see how they will really do on a food anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search