Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
vincentsmom

Last edited by vincentsmom; February 24th, 2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: miss spelled words
February 23rd, 2010, 05:57 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont know much ( anything) about cats. But I know an uneutered male dog will end up marking territory with females in heat about. Your male is almost certainly going to keep spraying and impregnating the females as long as he is there. I'd strongly suggest neutering. Hopefully some of the posters with more knowledge of cats will be on soon.
Good luck - and yes I think they will remember you, I've known dogs to go a year a or more without seeing someone and know them staright away.
February 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, Broxi said it all, your male will continue to spray until you neuter him, not to mention there are MILLIONS of cats put to sleep every year because there are not enough people to take care of them PLEASE stop adding to that. Spay and neuter your animals. There are plenty of spay and neuter clinics, humane societies, etc so there is absolutely no excuse for being an irresponsible pet owner nowadays. You will also prevent things like testicular cancer later on down the road, spraying, hormone imbalances, etc. Here are links to discount spay and neuter clinics in Louisiana:

Animal Welfare Inc
PO Box 4797
Shreveport LA 71134
318-221-0053
Animal Welfare, Inc. - helping pets, pet owners, and community...
Provides a discount for s/n for pets of residents with low income.
Lafayette Animal Aid
Lafayette LA
337-232-3089
Provides a small discount for s/n for pets of residents with low income.

Spay/Neuter Intervention Program (SNIP)
St. Bernard Parish Animal Shelter
115 W. Agriculture Road
Chalmette, LA 70043
504-278-1535
Homestead | Make a FREE Website - Create a Website in Mins - Build Your Own Website Today
Free spay/neuter of cats and dogs brought by retired residents and by people on any type of public assistance. Low cost spay/neuter for cats and dogs for everyone else.

Jefferson SPCA
1 Humane Way
Harahan, LA 70123
504-733-PETS
Welcome to JustMommies : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies web site
For anyone in the community, Jefferson SPCA provides discount certificates for cat and dog spay/neuter with participating veterinarians. Serves Jefferson, Orleans, St. Tammany, St. Charles, St. Bernard, and Terrebonne parishes.

Southern Animal Foundation
Spay/Neuter Intervention Program (SNIP)
PO Box 4164
New Orleans, LA 70178
504-861-7729
Mobile clinic that visits sites in Hammond, St. Charles, Slidell, New Orleans, Jefferson, Mandeville, Plaquemines, Amie, Abita Springs, and St. Bernard.

Louisiana SPCA Feral Cat Initiative
New Orleans LA
Web The Louisiana SPCA
For feral cats residing in Orleans Parish. Also check the web site for their low cost s/n for tame cats and dogs.

Animal Welfare, Inc. - helping pets, pet owners, and community...

Spay/Neuter Campaign Media | The Humane Society of the United States

Low-Cost Spay Neuter Locations

Also, yes they will remember you. It may take them awhile to adjust to being in a new environment, new baby, new routine, etc when you move so it may seem like they don't remember you but it has less to do with you and more to do with the new situation so don't stress about that.

PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!
February 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
vincentsmom
Umm well I am on disability so getting my cat neutered is kinda tough. I have been trying to get vouchers but that's not so easy either. And no offense but if I choose not to get my cat neutered it's not really any of your business. My cat is never around other cats cept for my other male cat. This is the first time he has been around female cats. This was not something we had planned. Not to mention I did not want to get him neutered just yet cause he is pure blood blue Persian and I may want to breed him one day.

I didn't intend on coming to this board to get griped at for not having one of my cats neutered. I am not an irresponsible pet owner. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances to every situation.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
February 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Like I said plenty of discounted places. Many FREE places too for folks on financial assistance. I know in my state if you're on Medicaid (state insurance), or any welfare plan or disability it is 100% FREE at many clinics.

No offense, but if you cannot be a responsible pet owner then don't own the pet. If you don't neuter, fine, then keep him 100% indoors and no unspayed females. Plenty of discounted and free programs out there you just have to look for them. Nowadays there's no excuses.

Even pure bred cats are a dime a dozen. And they shouldn't be bred without health testing, which if you can't afford to neuter you can't afford health testing.

Sorry, but when I have rescued cats and volunteered in a shelter and watched thousands be put to sleep, I absolutely cannot condone breeding them for ANY reason. Go to a shelter, volunteer for a week, you'll probably be first in line at the neuter clinic.

STOP BREEDING!!!

Last edited by SpazTaz; February 24th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
February 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
vincentsmom
Ok first of all there are no free places in Shreveport and I do not have a car at the moment to drive to any of the places that do it for free. My cats are 100% indoors, they are never allowed outside. And I did not know that he was going to be around the non spayed female cats. Nor did we really have the time to get him fixed before we took him to my sister in laws house. The cats were supposed to be separated. What my sister in law does in her house is something I can not control.

I have looked into getting him neutered for free, and I could not find anything.

I have volunteered at a shelter before, and I think its horrible how many animals are put to sleep, and I am not one of those pet owners. It's just been a string of unforeseen circumstances that can not be changed at the moment.

I am 100% for getting cats fixed if they are going to be around other cats that are not fixed...but my cats were never supposed to be around female cats. Its not my fault that things happened in my life that forced my cats to be with others. Like I stated I had no time to get him fixed before I took him to my sister in laws house.

And since I am probably never going to be able to get that cat back, I don't need you to make me feel even worse about what has happened in my life.

I came here looking for others that loved animals. I wanted to talk about my cats whom I miss dearly. I wanted support on the fact that I can not be with them at the moment...but apparently this board is not for that. Apparently this board is only here for people like you to judge and criticize and jump down other peoples throat about getting their pets fixed which is their choice and not anyone else's anyways unless they make it free, mandatory, painless, and does not change the cats personality in anyway.

Good day!
February 25th, 2010, 04:11 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry if I've caused offence. It just seems sad to me that you may have to get rid of him, and I dont know if your sis in law wants to keep him or not, when neutering might solve the problem. No guarantees of course, as I said I dont know anything about cats and am only applying what I know about dogs here but its certainly worth a try.
I also dont realy know if its traumatic for cats to be handed on to different owners, I honestly dont know if they form bonds like dogs do, but I do know dogs suffer stress and other problems from being rehomed. And if the animal has problems in the first home it usually gets worse in the next without re training and alot of work. So I hate to see an animal rehomed where it isnt neccesary. And if you do leave the cat where it is, arge numbers of mix breed kittens will be produced which may be cute and cuddly for a time, but they grow up quickly.
I am also quite open to breeding animals. I prefer a certain breed of dog, and beyond that I prefer to have a dog with a very specific set of characteristics common to certain lines. Without breeders, this would be impossible. But breeding is a complicated art. You need to understand the whole blood line, its faults and strengths etc.. you do need money for screening tests, and vet bills etc... Its unlikely a breeder will come knocking your door looking for a male, so you would likely have to buy a very high quality female from compatable lines to begin with, and then be willing to spay or neuter afterwards, or be 100% certain of keeping them apart. If its really an interest, I'd try a cat show, bring a copy of your cats pedigree. If the bloodlines are that desirable then most other breeders should be familiar with several animals in it, then you go through the screening processes etc...
Its not nearly as easy as it looks.
But I hope you dont feel unwelcome just because most of th people here will try to discourage breeding your animal. I think many people here have rescue experience and have seen too many good animals without homes. I do feel for you and know how hard it is to be seperated from your pets, that is really why I was hoping neutering might work for you. I wish you and your cat luck whatever you choose.
February 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
vincentsmom
Broxi3781, you did not offend me at all. I am glad to see that there are actual posters here that are not going to flame me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search