Demodectic mange

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this? My 16 week old Husky puppy has it, and had her first Mitaban dip a week ago. I personally feel the Mitaban dip worsened her condition, and gave her diarrhea. Also, I'm pregnant, and am not comfortable with her being covered in Mitaban every two weeks for three months if it can be avoided. I've heard Ivermectin can be a very effective treatment?
February 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I've had fosters with it. I absolutely would NOT do the dip, it is EXTREMELY toxic to the dogs. If you end up with that as an absolute last resort then okay, but I definitely wouldn't do it first.

Ivermectin is a pretty common treatment for it. Also, I would switch to a grain free diet as it can help the condition, also a healthy diet is very important.

Mange is basically an auto immune disease, so make sure you do not do any vaccinations, surgeries (including spay/neuter), or anything else that taxes the immune system until it is completely gone plus an addition 2-3 months of no symptoms. Things to build the immune system, health diet, grain free diet, apple cider vinegar (with the mother) still in it, dog multi-vitamins are all great ways to help tackle it from the inside out. I would definitely go with the Ivermectin treatments rather than the dips. And it can get worse before it gets better and is usually MONTHS and MONTHS of treatment, so hang in there!
February 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
She's already on a grain-free diet. All of my animals eat Blue Buffalo. The same day they diagnosed her with demodectic mange they gave her her last set of shots. In retrospect I'm kicking myself for letting them. I was so upset she had mange it didn't even occur to me. It could have attributed to her losing so much hair after the dip/vaccine last week.

What type of multivitamins would you suggest?
February 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well Blue Buffalo isn't a grain free food unless you're feeding the Wilderness version. But I would put a call into the company to make sure it is an all life stages food as it looks to be geared more towards adult dogs.

Wow I cannot believe that they gave her vaccinations when she has mange! Shame on them! I would also consider finding another vet if that is the case because that's absolutely awful. Just make sure to hold off on spaying until 2-3 months after the mange has cleared up. The dip is very toxic, many end up with diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, stop eating, and some have died so I'd definitely skip that. You can do research online on it as well.

On vitamins, ones that are good that don't break the bank are Canine Plus vitamins. I get mine online at Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and get the big tub at a decent price.

I'd also highly encourage apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP a day mixed in her food should be fine (1 1/2 tsp twice a day would probably be best). Make sure it's the stuff you get at a health food store or in the health food aisle that says organic with "the mother" it isn't the stuff you use for salad dressing. It's GREAT stuff and really helps build the immune system and it's cheap ($5 a bottle or so). I get mine at my local grocery store in the health food aisle but you can also get it online or at places like GNC or any other Health food/Health supplement type of store. Bragg's is the most common brand.
February 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
She eats the large breed puppy version...we plan to switch her to the Wilderness version when she's full grown but its not recommended for puppies.

I can't believe they gave her the vax either...while sitting there telling me a compromised immune system can cause an outbreak. I was planning on holding off on the spaying until as late as possible...hopefully she'll be ready for it before her first heat. She's also going through a huge growth spurt, which also added stress onto her body. Thanks for the vitamin advice!
February 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3atthisvolume View Post
She eats the large breed puppy version...we plan to switch her to the Wilderness version when she's full grown but its not recommended for puppies.

I can't believe they gave her the vax either...while sitting there telling me a compromised immune system can cause an outbreak. I was planning on holding off on the spaying until as late as possible...hopefully she'll be ready for it before her first heat. She's also going through a huge growth spurt, which also added stress onto her body. Thanks for the vitamin advice!
Yeah that's not grain free then and Blue is actually VERY high in grains. I'd get her on an all life stages grain free such as Natural Balance grain free line, Canidae's grain free line, Taste of the Wild (best for the price), Orijin puppy, just to name a few. Mange THRIVES on carbs and grains so a grain free diet would be the best for her right now.

Not spaying her before her first heat isn't a huge issue. In fact there is evidence that spaying after the first heat can reduce many cancer risks and is actually better. The only issue would become if you have an unfixed male or if you did not stay with her when she was not inside the house. You have to go out with them when they go to the bathroom, etc, not to mention the mess ofa heat cycle. But health wise it wouldn't be a disaster.
February 25th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Yeah that's not grain free then and Blue is actually VERY high in grains. I'd get her on an all life stages grain free such as Natural Balance grain free line, Canidae's grain free line, Taste of the Wild (best for the price), Orijin puppy, just to name a few. Mange THRIVES on carbs and grains so a grain free diet would be the best for her right now.

Not spaying her before her first heat isn't a huge issue. In fact there is evidence that spaying after the first heat can reduce many cancer risks and is actually better. The only issue would become if you have an unfixed male or if you did not stay with her when she was not inside the house. You have to go out with them when they go to the bathroom, etc, not to mention the mess ofa heat cycle. But health wise it wouldn't be a disaster.
Really? Any research I've ever read states the exact opposite, especially in cases of mammary cancer. The rate once a dog goes into their first heat skyrockets, and continues to rise with every heat. A dog that's never been in heat has almost no chance of ever developing mammary canccer.
February 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes but mammary is the only one. Letting them go into heat reduces bone cancer, brain cancer, reduces the risk of being hypothyroid, among other ailments. Mammary cancer is the only cancer that is lessened, everything else is at least double if not triple the chance if you do it prior to their first heat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search