Different dogs - different foods?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2010, 06:57 AM
wishinitso's Avatar Regular
I have three dogs - all small/toy varieties and each seem to have different likes to certain foods.
Is there really a need to differentiate because of breed?

I have a five year old bischon, five year old yorkie and a 10 year old toy poodle that all seem to want different foods.

I am trying to just make one food purchase to take advantage of deals. I am currently feeding them California Natural Low Fat Rice & Chicken Meal Adult. I was feeling them Halo's Spots Chicken Stew for dogs - canned only but the price was just too much for all three and the poodle began to look anorexic, while the bischon was throwing up the carrots!!!
The bischon seems to be allergic to many brands (turning pink and being itchy), while the poodle gets either too fat or too thin. The yorkie seems to be fine with any.

I have also purchased organic burger, green beans, and rice and made them fresh but THAT is getting costly as well.

I would love the most natural "clean" ingredients possible with little allergic if possible. But what???
February 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No, no need for different foods due to breed. The only "concern" would be possible age, but if you choose one all life stages food that takes care of that concern. If your one has food allergies then I'd recommend Natural Balance's Limited Ingredient line. They have chicken and sweet potato, fish and sweet potato (my allergy boy does the best on this), Bison and sweet potato, venison and sweet potato, duck and potato, or lamb meal and rice. All of them are an all life stages food so your dogs can all eat it and it should help with your one's allergies as long as he/she isn't allergic to the protein and carb source. Fish and sweet potato is usually a good starting point with allergy dogs. I pay $47 plus tax per 28 pound bag, but with feeding a 67 pound dog and a 62 pound dog it lasts me 3 weeks so it isn't bad. Also if your one gets too fat on foods, skip the low fat or weight maintenance diets (they're marketing gimmicks and usually very grain heavy) and simply feed less to that dog. If the dog still seems hungry you can add some no salt added canned or regular frozen green beans as they are filling without a lot of calories. But best thing for an overweight dog is to simply feed less calories, which just means feed less food until they get to a point where they're either losing or maintaining their weight whichever you need them to do.

On liking or disliking a food, a healthy dog will not starve itself, so choose a good quality food and stick to it, they will learn to like it and eat when they're hungry. It may take a few days of no meals but I promise they will eat missing a few meals isn't going to hurt them given they're adults and healthy.

Hope that helps some and good luck!
February 27th, 2010, 08:40 AM
wishinitso's Avatar Regular
Thank you thank you thank you!

I am going to look today since I ran out of the CalNat last night. I had to make them the burger/rice/green beans for breakfast and that cost me alot since the ingreds are organic. I can tell they truly enjoyed the meal.
February 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Some will agree some will disagree, but if you do it right, with dogs that size you could homecook cheaper than you could purchase kibble, but you would need to use things like ground beef (the cheap kind), poultry organs, chicken quarters, left over meat from the butcher. They're dogs, they do not react the same way we do to most things, so organic, low fat, etc is not practical. But homecooking can be a lot of work and you need to vary ingredients add bones or bone meal, etc so that mineral levels are balanced. So a good quality dry food may work better for you.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search