Malnutritioned pet...any advice?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello everyone! My sister's little yorkie ran away about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She just found her today and she said she looks horrible. She won't be able to see the vet until Monday. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about what to feed her until then? I read to feed her easily digestible foods, but I have no idea what dogs can even eat (I have no pets). TIA!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly best thing for malnourished pets is just a NORMAL diet and time. Putting the dog on a premium food (check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble and choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food) and adding either some premium canned or some boiled meats (chicken is cheapest, you can get chicken quarters at the grocery store for around 50 cents per pound, boil those up and debone and feed the meat) and give it anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (depending on how bad the dog is) and they will come around.

That's one of the biggest mistakes pet owners make in giving high calorie foods or feeding a lot (which just causes diarrhea 9 times out of 10), etc. You don't want them to gain the weight back too fast or it isn't healthy.

When my dog got sick with an obstruction, he lost 8 pounds in about 10 days due to not eating....it took him 3 months to gain that 8 pounds back which is what was recommended. He got fed about 1/4 of a cup of food a day extra to get a few extra calories into him in a day but it was a slow process.

I'd also recommend a multi-vitamin such as Canine Plus for a month or two to get some added nutrients.

But if she goes with a vet check up to make sure there's no intestinal parasites, heartworms, ticks, fleas, etc that could compromise health, then it's just a matter of a healthy (which means to stay away from foods like Eukanuba, Pedigree, Dog Chow, Iams, Science Diet, etc which are all extremely low quality foods...good rule of thumb if you can buy it in a grocery store or pet store it's a cheap quality crummy food and stay away from it, the only exceptions being, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and Wellness at Petco or Blue Buffalo at PetSmart) steady diet for the next few months to get the pup back on track.

Good luck!

Last edited by SpazTaz; February 27th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search