Good dog for running?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have started running. We are thinking about getting another puppy so I figure I should see if I can find one that will be a good running partner. We are looking at larger breeds they are more intimidating and protection since I will be running alone.
We are thinking possibly getting a boxer, lab, husky or golden retriever as of now. But I am totally open for suggestions. Thanks ladies.
We also have a 5 and 3 year old so they need to be a good kid dog .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Those are all good choices. My personal favorite out of your list would be the Lab though. I'm a little biased, since I own two Lab mutts. They are very high energy, eager to please, and do very well with children.

Another good option is to check out your local shelters and rescues. It's entirely possible to find a purebred dog in one of those, or find a puppy that fits your needs and wants but is a mix.

One thing to keep in mind with big dogs, especially if you choose to purchase a purebred, they are prone to joint pain and arthritis later in life.

Last edited by my.estrella; May 21st, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
May 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A good running partner and good with kids would be a Whippet. But they are a medium sized breed and not intimidating at all. I have a Whippet now, and we used to run and hike long distance all the time. They are good for that and also tend to be easy to teach good leash manners to. While they look hyper, they are really lazy bums in the house and are usually fine even if they miss a couple days of walking. Greyhounds and Borzois are lovely too and are a large breed, but not very protective/aggressive to strangers.

All the dogs you listed are nice too. Something to think about with the Husky, is they can get easily over heated in the summertime. And as Ashley said, some of those breeds are known for arthritic problems, particularly hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia (not saying that's a given though).
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
May 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
I have read that the breed of boxers is called `cancer factory` as they have a high rate of cancer.
May 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Oh I didn't know that about boxers. Thanks elsi2009.
I do know about the hip problems in the bigger dogs. We are trying to stay away from the hunting dogs like setters since most of the ones my dad has/had are spastic . There is a bunch of adoption events going on today at different petco's in our area. I thought about popping in and seeing if they have any dogs that might fit our family. Adoption sometimes is rough because you run the risk of taking on a dog that may or may not have personality problems. Thanks for all the information ladies. It is very helpful.

May 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Stellas Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 2 husky mixes. their Siberian Husky, Rottweiler, and Blue Healer mixes.

They are big and intimidating and have a bad attitude if they sense it from me. and they are great runners, and have a lot of energy when needed, and they are very smart like Blue Healers and learn very quickly.

I'll post a picture if you would like. Their about 55 lbs each now. Their black, white, brown, and gray. One has both blue eyes, and the other has one blue and one brown eye. Their hackles on their back are like wolfs.

All in all I would have to say if you was gonna get a good jogging partner and a good guard dog, to get a Siberian Husky mix. But get a boy. They are alot bigger and they look scarier if you get into some trouble. Huskies are also good with children and babies if you socialize them correctly when young.

May 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was also going to suggest a whippet. I grew up with one and she was a total sweetheart and they LOVE to run. My pit bull loves to run too and unfortunately most people are scared of them . They also make great dogs for kids.

May 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
how about an English Setter?
May 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
They are beautiful and my dad has had a couple. I am trying to stay away from setters in my experience they are a little to hyper . Perhaps it was the difference that my dads were working dogs and kenneled unless they were working (hunting) or training.

May 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For oen if you want the dog for running with you, make sure whatever dog you get is over 18 months old, ESPECIALLY if it's a large or giant breed. Large/giants should NOT be run for more than 5 minutes on leash until their skeletons are done growing which is approximately 18 months old.

Danes and Mastiffs tend to tire out quickly as well. German Shepherds are good for running, Austrailian Shepherds, Boxers, Golden Retreivers, Labs, Pitts, Rotties, just to name a few.
May 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM
We are planning to get a great dane but she will not be my running partner. Danes are not good running partners they don't have the hips for it. To big of a bone structure. I think if we do get one it will be a lab. We are still in the research phase . Thanks for the info about the age though. That is good to know.

May 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
We are planning to get a great dane but she will not be my running partner. Danes are not good running partners they don't have the hips for it. To big of a bone structure. I think if we do get one it will be a lab. We are still in the research phase . Thanks for the info about the age though. That is good to know.
Yes the age deal goes for any medium, large, or giant breed, that includes labs, huskies, boxers, shepherds, goldens, etc. They shouldn't be walked very long on leash either until 18 months for the same reason. Puts too much stress and strain on their joints and can cause major skeletal issues.
May 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
not only English Setters are working dogs, also German Sheperds ( not for hunting, of course ). They may have high prey drive. Also hip dysplasia in German sheperds ( and other joint problems ) can be so bad, that the dogs cannot be worked as they should be. Maybe it`s similar with boxers, I just don`t recall exactly ( I knew some boxers in training )
How about a Berger Picard? At least they can be worked as hip dysplasia seems to be rare in this breed...Berger Picard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
May 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi2009 View Post
I have read that the breed of boxers is called `cancer factory` as they have a high rate of cancer.
They do but every breed has their own problem. Boxers are WONDERFUL dogs (I've owned 3 personally) and typically cancers don't pop up until later in life. And the greatness of the animal FAR outweighs the risk of cancer IMO.

Quote:
not only English Setters are working dogs, also German Sheperds ( not for hunting, of course ). They may have high prey drive. Also hip dysplasia in German sheperds ( and other joint problems ) can be so bad, that the dogs cannot be worked as they should be. Maybe it`s similar with boxers, I just don`t recall exactly ( I knew some boxers in training )
How about a Berger Picard? At least they can be worked as hip dysplasia seems to be rare in this breed...Berger Picard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is why you choose a shepherd that is either a puppy with parents that were temperament tested and hips certified, or you get an adult from rescue who has been temperament tested so you know how high their prey drive is. Hip issues yes are big in them but again, like with Boxers and cancer, most of the time there isn't an issue until they're older. There's also things to help fend it off, such as Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin supplements, a good diet, not running or walking them hard before they're 18 months old, among others. My Shepherd is a little over a year and he's just fine, I have a 9 year old Boxer who has some medical issues but no cancer, and my soon to be 3 year old Boxer aside from allergies, is as healthy as can be.

Really, any purebred dog has it's medical issues, your larger dogs are always going to be hip issues along with possible other issues associated with them.
May 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
how about an English Setter?
I can speak from experience that these dogs certainly like to run.. lol

Not so much on a leash though. My Rufus needs to be in the woods, running at full speed to burn of his energy. Being on a leash is much less enjoyable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
They are beautiful and my dad has had a couple. I am trying to stay away from setters in my experience they are a little to hyper . Perhaps it was the difference that my dads were working dogs and kenneled unless they were working (hunting) or training.
They are very energetic dogs. Most hunting breeds tend to be. I know that Rufus took an insane amount of consistent training to get to the point we are at today. He is a hunting dog in the Fall, but very much a pet during the off season. Most setters tend to be couch potatoes inside, but any little bit of excitement can get him running through the house like a maniac. lol

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
not only English Setters are working dogs, also German Sheperds ( not for hunting, of course ). They may have high prey drive.
Yes, this is a good thing to keep in mind with all hunting breeds. Our setter is very well trained to come back to us when we call, even while on birds, but honestly, unless you're going to hunt to dog too, I don't think it's the best idea to have one just as a pet. The hunting training played a HUGE part in getting our dog in control while he is locked in on a bird. He has been able to be trained in a controlled environment rather than just being able to take off after anything with wings. lol

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
back problems ( deg. spinal stenosis) in German Sheperds can be a reason for not being suitable as service/working dog ( I also heard a case of a 3 year old GSD who was fully trained, but had spinal stenosis then )
Of course, if the selected dog is more a "couch potato" and if it isn`t the worst case of HD, a GSD can be a good family dog. Also, even if the dog is quite active, there are some possibilities of "training" the dog with less damaging effect - like swimming and searching for hidden toys/food ( no quick decelerating for example)

Last edited by elsi2009; May 25th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
May 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Mutts are the best dogs. Sure, their history is unknown and they tend to be a goody bag of breeds, but they are much less prone to the issues that riddle purebred lines. They tend to have great attitudes as well. Of course there are always going to be individual exceptions, but I just can't tell you enough how amazing a mutt can be.
May 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mutts can have problems too. All dogs can have health problems if they are not cared for. I think puppy mills are when you find your worst problems with health to be honest.

I appreciate everyone's input. We are doing our research and I know we are getting at least one great dane so I may not get my running partner. But this is a great thread with tons of information for people with the same question .

I think if we decide to get one I might go with a lab (chocolates are so cute).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search