In Loving Memory of Lucy (March 2007-May 20, 2010)

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lucy was a birthday present to myself for my 21st birthday. I went to the local shelter in the area I was living in and as soon as I saw her, I knew I had to take her home. She was three months old and was there as part of a litter that had been found in an abandoned house. We went straight from the shelter, to the local pet store to buy everything a new puppy might possibly need. She got the matching leash and collar, a name tag in the shape of a bone with little fake diamonds in the corner (Her name was inspired by the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds), all kinds of toys, her own bed, even some accessories and a huge rawhide bone to chew on. As soon as I got home, I called the vet to make an appointment for her and as soon as all her shots were up to date and she was cleared, I took her for her first visit to the dog park. She loved it and completely wore herself out. I was sitting on the ground watching her and she walked over to me, layed down in my lap and fell asleep. She was too tired to even walk anymore, so I carried her back to the car.

She got along great with her "sister" my chihuahuha-pug mix. They would play together for hours and then curl up together at night. And she was a great dog to take my nightly walks with, a great protector.

For a brief time, I had to move back in with my parents with my two dogs, this was before my BF & the kids. When I moved back out my own, I decided with my mom that it would be best that they go ahead and stay there since my parents had a huge yard and a lot of wooded area for them to play in and they were attached to the three dogs they already had. So, even though I missed them, I did what I thought was best for them and left them at my parents where they have been for the past two years.

In the meantime, I met my BF, he already had a little boy and we had a daughter together. I would visit my dogs at least once a week at my parents and my BF had really grown to love Lucy as much as I did. We even offered to take her to our house since we've moved to a place about 5 minutes from my parents and out in the country where she would have tons of room. I would've offered to take both of them back, but my dad is too attached to the smaller dog. My mom said "no" to all my offers to take Lucy and said she was no trouble and she had gotten attached to her so I left her.

Thursday, May 20, was a day of tragedy. I was at work and my BF had dropped the kids off to my mom so he could get some sleep, (he works midnights and my mom watches them so that he can get some sleep during the day). I get a call on my 3:00 break from my BF saying that he has the kids with him and he's brought them to me so that I can see Olivia (11 months) and that something had happened. Well I'm of course freaked out and I rush to where he is and see a few small scratches, one below her eye and another under her chin. The one by her eye was so small that I didn't even see it at first. That's when he had told me what had happened and that Lucy had snapped at Olivia in the fact and that my parents had sent her away. I was of course to see that Olivia was alright, but just couldn't believe that Lucy would do that, she's never been aggressive, and bummed that she was sent away.

Well I get off work at 5 and call my mom to get more details over what had happened. That's when she told me the real story and that my dad had shot my dog. I was completely overwhelmed with emotion, shock, anger and of course sadness. Olivia was barely even touched and for some reason, the dog had to die. It still doesn't make sense to me. If Lucy had really been aggressive, Olivia would have been hurt a lot worse and something would have happened a lot sooner, Lucy's been around her for almost a year now and never once been aggressive towards her.

I loved my dog and now she's gone for no reason....

Sorry for the long post but I just had to get some of this out.
June 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to lizzie_86 Send a message via Yahoo to lizzie_86
I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. My dad shot my dog when I was 11 while I was at school all because he didn't want to take her to the vet. It doesn't make sense, and no one has the right to take a life, furry or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search