Great Dane anyone?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Anyone have a great dane?
Good/Bad?
Did you rescue or purchase from a breeder?
Color?
How did you find your breeder?

Thanks ladies.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't own one but fostered for a rescue for them for awhile and also pet sat a couple.

Personally I would NEVER get a dog from a breeder, so I would encourage you to find a breed specific rescue in your area for Danes. They can tell you how they do with kids, dogs, etc and also help you with diets, training, etc.

WONDERFUL dogs! Don't live as long as smaller breeds would be one of the only downsides IMO. I also don't think it's a good idea to own them with toy or small breed dogs. But they're GREAT with kids, and are overall wonderful dogs if you put in the time for training and giving rules and boundaries with them. Make sure you can afford them (they eat a ton and cost more at the vet), have the space for them, and a car big enough for them, and I typically recommend them.
May 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah we have been looking and wanting one for about 9-10 years. We are so ready . We do own our own home and have a decent back yard. I looked at the rescue but there aren't many here. I found a deaf dane rescue in the state below us and we sent them an app. Just not sure about a deaf dane or any deaf dog for training. We shall see .

May 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Training deaf dogs is not much different than training hearing dogs (if you train hearing dogs correctly and with hand signals). I have a couple of links so if you go that route let me know and I'll send them to you. Best thing is to get a trainer that has deaf dog experience though and then to know you can NEVER let the dog off leash in an unsecured area. Many breed specific rescues though prefer to adopt their deaf dogs into hearing dog homes as it helps them to adjust quite a bit better to have a hearing counter part. Not to say it can't be done by any means ot have just one dog and have it be deaf, but they do MUCH better with hearing counter parts.
May 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yeah we have been looking and wanting one for about 9-10 years. We are so ready . We do own our own home and have a decent back yard. I looked at the rescue but there aren't many here. I found a deaf dane rescue in the state below us and we sent them an app. Just not sure about a deaf dane or any deaf dog for training. We shall see .
Training deaf dogs can be just as easy as a hearing dog. A woman I used to work with had a deaf dog and she could do all the tricks and commands as her hearing dog. Not just the sit and stay standard stuff, but retrieving and putting away objects, high fives, play dead.... I can't remember everything but both of those dogs had a huge list of tricks they could do; it was impressive for a normal dog to do, much less a deaf one! She would give her a "thumbs up" if she did the trick properly instead of saying "good girl."

Quote:
I also don't think it's a good idea to own them with toy or small breed dogs.
This isn't always true. I've known a couple of Great Danes whose best friends were tiny, toy dogs. These two roommates would come into the pet store I used to work in, one with a Great Dane and the other with a Yorkie. They said they were inseparable and even slept together every night. Both those dogs were really well trained though; you just have to help a Great Dane learn to be aware of it's body so it doesn't accidentally step on anyone or anything.

May 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't say it was *always* true, just not something I would personally do myself or adopt out a dog with it and good luck finding a rescue that would do it. It isn't teaching them to know the size of their body, it's that small toy dogs are like live chew toys. They're about the size as a squeaky toy but move, yip, etc and danes (and other large and giants) can very easily shake them to death trying to play with them as they would a squeaky toy. Not that they do it in a vicious way but it's understandable if you think about it. Just not waht I would recommend just for the fact of keeping everyone safe. Obviously some do it, and it works in some situations, but I am big on making sure all animals are safe and well protected and that combo just isn't a good idea IMO.
May 25th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I didn't say it was *always* true, just not something I would personally do myself or adopt out a dog with it and good luck finding a rescue that would do it. It isn't teaching them to know the size of their body, it's that small toy dogs are like live chew toys. They're about the size as a squeaky toy but move, yip, etc and danes (and other large and giants) can very easily shake them to death trying to play with them as they would a squeaky toy. Not that they do it in a vicious way but it's understandable if you think about it. Just not waht I would recommend just for the fact of keeping everyone safe. Obviously some do it, and it works in some situations, but I am big on making sure all animals are safe and well protected and that combo just isn't a good idea IMO.
Well, I think you are describing an extreme case here with what would be a very aggressive Great Dane and I don't think that situation would be the norm. Dogs don't play with each other like that and if a Dane did that to a toy dog it would be an attack (not play) and it would do it to any other sized dog as well. I actually just watched a show the other day where a woman who owned 3 or 4 Great Danes and adopted, from a rescue, a little 10 pound dog. They all got along fine and the Danes weren't trying to hunt it down. It also seems to me that when there is a tiny dog/giant dog dynamic, the little one is in charge.

May 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks ladies. I did not mean to start a debate I apologize. I have heard differing opinions about Dane's and small dogs. I think it is all in how they are socialized like with any dog. I had never thought about the hearing dog/deaf dog dynamic. But that is a great point. We did find a 3 year old that is looking for a new home but the kids might be to young . We shall see how it works out.

July 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Meghan can you send me those links?
There is a 10 month old I am inquiring about through the rescue we got approved from. So I thought I should see what else I can learn. Some day I will have one, even if this isn't the one. They just pull at my heart strings something fierce.

July 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Make sure the rescue gives you resources as well (that's a HUGE part of their purpose) and I'd recommend you have a hearing dog in the household already. Not to say it can't be done without, but most rescues won't adopt a deaf dog to a home without a hearing dog already in it. (and make sure you aren't adopting out of pity...doesn't typically work out very well once things get tough). Good luck!

DDEAF Training Tips

This is the only one I have that isn't a breed specific link (some white Boxers can be deaf so I have links pertaining to white Boxer deafness). I would encouarge you to speak to the rescue though as they should have material for you as well and make sure to get in touch with a trainer/behaviorist that has deaf dog experience that can be a great resource for you as well. You may also want to do a search on yahoo groups to see if you can find a deaf dog yahoo group and join and speak with some of the owners on there that can give you some tips, and give you the true pros and cons to owning a deaf dog.

Good luck to you guys!
July 3rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
foxfire_ga79
Anyone have a great dane? I've got 2 at the moment, have had 4 and my BFF trains, show handles and rescues Danes.

Good/Bad? Amazing, I can't say enough good things about these dogs.

Did you rescue or purchase from a breeder? My Danes are/were all rescues and a foster. But I have nothing at all against good responsible breeders.
Color? Black, Brindle, Harlequin and Merle.

How did you find your breeder? Since all of these were rescues, I either found them on Craigs List, Pet Finder, or through cross reference with my local Great Dane club.

I have also had and trained a deaf Dalmatian and I can honestly say she was no more difficult to train than my hearing dogs. I would stomp on the floor to get her attention and get her to come to me if I was in a different room, and all her advanced obedience was via hand signals.

My Danes have always been amazing with my children and other dogs, including a Rat Terrier I used to have. With the exception that when my female was the only one I had and my now 5y/o was 2, she snapped at him 2 times. But in her defense he was an astonishingly annoying child and there were times I thought I was going to lose it and bite him. Hahaha
I still have her, and another one, and they are delicate around the baby and very affectionate. It has been my experience that you really have to push a Dane pretty far to get them annoyed.

I could sing the praises of Great Danes all day long, so if you've evaluated whether your family/home is suited for a Dane, you won't be disappointed.

These are 3 of mine...The black is Rucca and she's 7. The Brindle is Diesel and he's 8 1/2. The Harlequin was Rainier, he was almost 7 when we had to put him down for severe health complications 2 years ago.

And this was Mel, we fostered him for a couple weeks. There was a little lapse of time from when his previous owners were moving to Wales and before we could find him a new permanent home.

And one more, cuz I just can't help showing off my babies.
July 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you for sharing.
The deafie is not a good fit for us. More because of the other issues severe separation anxiety than him being deaf. The breeder we were hoping would have a litter in the fall is not going to have one until next spring . So we are going to rescue through our local rescue and just wait on getting a puppy. Tee Hee have the older rescue train the puppy .

July 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Magicaledelishus's Avatar Mommy to Orion
Danes are very sweet dogs--When we have one in hospital I really enjoy working with them. There a few diseases and issues they are prone to, as you may have read up on already; those being neurological issues and GDV (bloat) later in life. They also live much shorter lives due to size (and the health issues that come with that), but they are excellent dogs and owners of them tell me regularly they adore them! There are pros and cons to all breeds of course..

Good luck in your search for a companion

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search