Baths...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Let me just say I HATE doggie bath day LoL...who's with me??
June 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Haha! The only reason I don't like hunting season is because of all the bathing that is involved! Rufus always needs to be groomed from all the mud and bird-ox he picks up while in the field!

Rufus really likes to use the carpet as a big towel to rub himself dry on....bugger!

June 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
I'm with you on that one! Especially since no one in my house will help me so I'm left to bathe two 50+ lb dogs by myself. Lexi is fine, but Lady, who happens to be the bigger one and who knows how to prevent me from moving her, is a real pain in the neck to bathe.
July 1st, 2010, 04:34 AM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pay the groomer to do it, so the only pain is the check I have to write when she's done!
July 1st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by speechteach42 View Post
I pay the groomer to do it, so the only pain is the check I have to write when she's done!
Yeah I did the groomer once right after we got him, but since he's a shepherd he doesn't need a hair cut, just a bath and nails done and it seemed silly and a waste of money to pay someone else $25 just to give the dog a bath and do his nails. Same with my Boxers, they're short coats, takes 10 minutes and they air dry seems silly to pay $25 for them also so I suck it up. For an hour of my time I save $75 and that's definitely worth it to me for sure (and to be honest I do a better job than the groomer did AND save me the money to boot).

Now if he needed a hair cut I'd definitely be taking him to a professional.
July 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind baths too much, but it's not my favorite thing to do. My big dog knows "jump" so she gets herself in and out of the tub. My smaller dog on the other hand HATES baths and knows when it's bath time, so when you go to pick him up he rolls over and put his weight down and turns himself into a big sack of potatoes! The worst part to me is cleaning the bathroom up afterword; dirty dogs!

July 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlea View Post
I don't mind baths too much, but it's not my favorite thing to do. My big dog knows "jump" so she gets herself in and out of the tub. My smaller dog on the other hand HATES baths and knows when it's bath time, so when you go to pick him up he rolls over and put his weight down and turns himself into a big sack of potatoes! The worst part to me is cleaning the bathroom up afterword; dirty dogs!
Just curious why don't you do it in the backyard? No clean up.
July 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Just curious why don't you do it in the backyard? No clean up.
Our backyard isn't landscaped yet, so water+dirt= muddy mess, lol. We probably will bathe them outside once our yard is done.

July 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You know honestly I've found in this Arizona heat, landscaped or not the dirt dries out REALLY quick. Do them at like 8:00 aM, by noon it's all dried out. Just a tip anyway as our yard wasn't landscaped when we first moved here (I would encouarge you to do that, even if you just throw some cheap grass seed down as your chances of your dogs coming down with Valley Fever are HUGE with the dirt and no grass or rocks, especially this time of year).
July 6th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You know honestly I've found in this Arizona heat, landscaped or not the dirt dries out REALLY quick. Do them at like 8:00 aM, by noon it's all dried out. Just a tip anyway as our yard wasn't landscaped when we first moved here (I would encouarge you to do that, even if you just throw some cheap grass seed down as your chances of your dogs coming down with Valley Fever are HUGE with the dirt and no grass or rocks, especially this time of year).
The back dries really fast, but the sides don't. The way our yard flows, even in the heat of the summer the sides will stay really wet for at least a couple of days; it even grows algae sometimes. And where are porch is all the water drains down the one side. One of my dogs will stay out of the mud, but the other will gladly run right through it without blinking an eye. We've lived in this house for 2.5 years and have never had any health issues. We'll landscape if/when we can afford it.

July 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I understand, but in the mean time I'd HIGHLY encourage you to put down cheap grass seed ($20 for a bag to cover 1,000 sq ft at Home Depot), it drops your Valley Fever threat by A LOT. That's all we did until we save up the cash to have it professionally done at a later date. It serves it's purpose and ran us like $30 to do our 1,500 sq ft backyard with nice thick grass. Lanscaping companies said it'd cost us an extra $15-$20 to have them kill it off when we decide to do it professionally. Absolutely worth it so your dogs don't end up with a disease that is typically life long and runs $1,000+ per year to deal with (and in the end some die).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search