Re-Introduction and Question

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Hi Girls! I introduced myself here a really long time ago and have been lurking mostly since. I have 3 dogs: 2 puggles Jack & Diesel who are 4 and an english bulldog, Daisy Mae who will be 1 on 7/5. We also have 2 short hair persians, Gadget and Gizmo. Full house of animals I must say.

My question is, Do your animals wake you really early? Daisy likes to wake us at 7 - 7:30 and its just so early. No matter what we do, she will whine until we get up and let her out. Usually we lock them up in their crates when we go out or go to bed and I'm trying not to do that anymore. I know it's going to take some time to get used to it, but what I'm doing is not locking the doors to their crates. So if the door happens to open, they can come out. I'm hoping that since they will have more freedom during the day and night, maybe they will sleep longer in the morning. I'm pushing for just an hour here. Also, after I feed them in the morning, THEY GO BACK TO SLEEP!! Ugh.. it's so frustrating especially when I need more sleep. Any ideas, tips, tricks whatever, would be really helpful on how to get my dogs to sleep later.

TIA!!!

June 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ignore them. Are they whining to go out and potty or just whining to be whining? My dogs don't whine until I let them out of their crate because they know it gets them absolutely nowhere. When we got our new boy it took about 3 days for him to figure this out (his foster home got up at 6:00) but he finally figured out here that we don't get up until 9:00 during the week and closer to noon on the weekends but also don't go to bed until 3:00 or so in the morning. Your dog undoubtedly has learned "I whine they get up" so they do it because they get something out of it. Ignore them for a week or two and it should stop because they won't get anything out of whining anymore. Unfortunately if they're whining to go out and go to the bathroom then you risk (especially with not crating) them going in the house so you'll have to decide if there's a REASON for the whining. If they're whining to go to the bathroom then let them out REALLY quick (maybe on leash) they can do their business for 3-5 minutes and then come back inside and go back to bed for another hour so that they learn it isn't fun time just yet.

Hope that helps some. Dogs are like kids they only do what they can get away with and learn gets them rewards.
June 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Thank you for the advice Meghan. I really appreciate it.

Well, it was just the puppy whining and since I didn't know her bladder expectancy I would just get up right away so she didn't mess in her crate. She is almost a year old and hasn't messed in the house in a few months so I'm hoping she's learned. I'm going to try really hard at leaving them out as often as possible. What I do now is put them in their cages at night, but I don't lock them. This morning they didn't realize this until about 6:30am, which I was surprised they waited that long. I will proceed to do this for a few more nights and then I won't even close the door and hopefully progress from there. I'm hoping it works how I would like.

Thanks again.

June 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah first rule of crate training NEVER let them out when they're whining. You obviously need to let them out, but you wait until they STOP whining to do that so they don't associate whining with getting left out.

On potty training 12 months is usually when they say it's about the time that you can expect them to be fully trained, but make sure to watch closely and if that isn't the case with yours (small dogs tend to take longer, not sure how large your dog is) then you may have to continue with the crate for a little while longer.

Good luck on acclimating them out of the crate. We can do that potty wise, but destruction wise it's a no go on our end unfortunately. I have high hopes for my GSD though that maybe just maybe in another 6-12 months we'll get there but I think my Boxer will be a crate lifer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search