Issues with this dog...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to lizzie_86 Send a message via Yahoo to lizzie_86
My BF and I took in a 2 yr-old Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix, a female named Toffee LaRue. We've had her for about 2-3 months, and in the beginning she was great, hardly ever had an accident in the house, let me walk her without problems, never ran from me. But ever since we found out that I'm pregnant, she's been like a devil dog! She won't come near me, runs and cowers from me if I walk up to her. Last week I opened the front door and she ran out and down the street. I had to chase after her and we live next to a busy street. She's been pottying in the house. When we have the leash on her she freaks out and acts like she's being attacked. She's a pretty mellow dog and it's shocking that she acts this way. My sister came to visit last weekend and Toffee behaved completely when she was here! I feel like such a failure as a pet-parent. At times I wonder if I'll be a good mom if I can't even control a tiny 5-lb dog! What do I do? I can't get near her, she acts like I've beat her, and I've never laid a hand on her in anger. Could it be the fact that I "smell" different now that I'm pregnant? Please help! I don't want to have to give her away.
June 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
I wish I had the advice you are looking for but unfortunately I don't. I do know that some dogs can act different around pregnant women. I hope she calms down soon and you don't have to get rid of her.

June 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran
I hope so too. She's really a great dog, when she's behaving and she's gorgeous. So I know that if I had to, someone would take her and give her good home. I wish she would sit still so I could take a picture of her! LOL
June 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes it is not abnormal for dogs to react differently when you are pregnant. Your hormone levels are all over the place, you smell different you walk different, you will even sound different...so for all intents and purposes you are a different person to your dog. They go by smell first and site and hearing and all of these things have changed with you so if you think of it that way it isn't all that strange.

I do not think rehoming her should be on the table. For pottying, start back at square one. If you cannot physically watch her crate her, take her out for potty brakes every hour give praise when she goes outside, etc. Dogs typically will react to change by pottying issues it's their way of telling you something's up so you will need to let her know it's not okay.

Make sure you are not reacting to her the way she's acting. If she's cowering in the corner, okay, so she's cowering in a corner you didn't do anything wrong no reason to feel sorry for her, so go get her, put her on leash and take her out. You will have to hvae a "no nonsense" type of attitude with her otherwise she will learn that the way she is acting is okay and she gets what she wants when she acts that way.

If she isn't listening well to you, it may be time to go back to basic commands with you so that she realizes she still has to respect and listen to you.

You will basically have to make sure that you continue to build that trust and relationship with her especially since you haven't had her very long.
June 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran
Thank you. I've been trying my ****edest to get her to listen. It's like having a teenager! If she doesn't want to listen she leaves the room I'm in, if I follow her she just walks around till she finds a place I can't get to. Sometimes I just want to give up. But I know it's not good for her.
June 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie_86 View Post
Thank you. I've been trying my ****edest to get her to listen. It's like having a teenager! If she doesn't want to listen she leaves the room I'm in, if I follow her she just walks around till she finds a place I can't get to. Sometimes I just want to give up. But I know it's not good for her.
Then put her on a leash and tether (tie) her to you so she CAN'T leave the room. Until she starts behaving again she should absolutely not have the freedom to do what she wants, but needs to be doing what you say.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search