Toenail fell out?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to lizzie_86 Send a message via Yahoo to lizzie_86
The other day my BIL and I were playing with my 2-yr Poma-Chi, Toffee and she was running around and later I found a toenail on the couch. There wasn't blood and she doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but I'm worried that there's something wrong with her. It was the enite toenail. She won't let me touch her feet so I can't check it. What could've cause this? Do dogs shed entire nails?
June 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is it just the outside, nail casing? I mean I can't imagine it's the actual toenail itself you would've seen a ton of blood and she would have been in a ton of pain. I've honestly never seen a dog lose a part of it's nail, but you should probably call your vet just to double check. I'd say if it's not bothering her and you haven't seen blood on the floor, carpet, etc that it's probably fine but you should probably call your vet to double check.

Also make sure you are getting her nails trimmed on a regular basis, either you doing it yourself, or take her to a groomer to have it done. Usually runs anywhere from $4-$8 depending on the groomer/facility, but they should be done every 6-8 weeks.
June 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran
I'm pretty sure it was the whole nail. I've had dogs that had their nails fall out before. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she's walking and running around normally, there wasn't any blood at all.
June 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie_86 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was the whole nail. I've had dogs that had their nails fall out before. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she's walking and running around normally, there wasn't any blood at all.
If it's the entire nail then it's probably medical problem and she needs to go to the vet. There is an actual dog disease that causes them to do that, it is not normal and I'd make an appointment for your vet.
June 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Veteran
I finally got her to let me see her foot and it was just a broken nail! Thank god! I filed it smooth, which she hated. LOL But she seems to be perfectly fine now. Thanks for the advice!
June 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I finally got her to let me see her foot and it was just a broken nail! Thank god! I filed it smooth, which she hated. LOL But she seems to be perfectly fine now. Thanks for the advice!
Oh good I'm glad. Make sure you keep her nails cut every 4-8 weeks (depending on the dog) and that shouldn't happen anymore.
June 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Veteran
I try to keep them clipped, but here lately she's been fussy about me touching her feet.
June 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I try to keep them clipped, but here lately she's been fussy about me touching her feet.
My old dog isn't wild about it either, I just throw a soft muzzle on her and do it anyway. That way I'm protected, but it gets done. Worst case, go to a groomer, chances are she'll let them over you and if not they'll muzzle her and do it.
June 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Veteran
Good idea. I guess I'll have to give in and get a muzzle, I really never wanted to get one, BF usually clips and grooms her. She's known him since she was born and it must be a trust thing.
June 24th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Good idea. I guess I'll have to give in and get a muzzle, I really never wanted to get one, BF usually clips and grooms her. She's known him since she was born and it must be a trust thing.
The soft ones aren't a big deal. And they're like $10 so not a hard hit on the pocket book. I don't use ours any other time, just to do her nails. As she's gotten older her personality has changed and she has severe arthritis so messing with her legs isn't a smart idea without muzzling her. My other 2 I do without it.

Usually it's more of a leader thing more so than a trust thing. Dogs don't "trust" or not trust (that's a human thing), they follow the confident one, the one that is the pack leader, just attitude really. If you know she doesn't typically let you do them I'm sure you go into it hesitating which she'll just play on that. Dogs are like kids, they know what they can and can't get away with and will use it to their advantage every time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search