I love my cat but.... and also how can get her ready for baby?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
missmich
She is being so freaken annoying! She climbs up to the couch for a petting and won't sit still! She is meowing all the time just tell me she needs to go pee! I love how she follows me to the bathroom but does she really need to come around the corner and meow really loudly and scare me when she comes to check on me when I'm n there? I live alone so I never close the door.

I'm not working so I'm home a lot with her and if I'm gone all day for whatever reason she needs a lot of extra attention when I get home and I don't mind this at all. When I give birth though I'll be gone for 2-3 days and she'll be alone. I was going to arrange to have the neighbor who's the x bf of a woman I was friends with,but that friend is so super unreliable and I now feel totally uncomfortable with her or her x in my apartment when I'm not here. Our friendship is also pretty much over for various reasons.

Anyway I do have a friend who I hope to have at the birth with me and I can ask her if she's willing to visit my kitty (she's about 4 now,but still my baby) while I'm away and maybe bring a towel or something with the babys scent on it for her. Not sure if she can though since she may not be to tired after and may not be able to get a ride etc....

I have no family or other friends who can help with this either. No money to pay a cat sitter either. I also can't ask Papi (of the baby) for a thing.

So how can I prepare my cat for my being away for a few days and then bring a baby home?

Oh and I live in a small studio apartment so there is going to be no way to shut her in another room either.
June 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To be honest I think the reason your cat si acting so weird is you. You're pregnant, hormones, etc they sense this. I would personally plan on leaving 2 BIG litter boxes and 2-3 BIG bowls of food and 2-3 BIG bowls of water and your cat should be just fine by herself for a couple of days if your friend can't go over there. I'd ask your friend if she can get there, if she can GREAT if not your cat should be fine...at least her essentials are taken care of, she will have a place to eliminate, food, and water. When we first moved here we did this and left our cats for 5 days and they did just fine. The cats I petsit for I've never had anyone ask me to go daily, it's typically every 2-3 days just because cats are able to be left like that much easier than dogs.

I really think a lot of her issue is your hormones and it *should* resolve to an extent once you have baby and your levels return to normal.

Also...is she spayed? If not, step #1 and that should fix the rest.

Good luck!
June 27th, 2010, 10:10 PM
missmich
She is fixed all right! She was found on the street as a maybe 6 month old and I had a boy cat as well who was older and fixed. I walked in on her humping him one day and was like OMG she's getting done asap! I had to wait about a week or so and caught them a few times but yeah,she's fixed for sure.They do get crazy when they go into heat.

I only have 1 litter box and space for just one,but she's used it not being cleaned often so she should be fine with that. I plan to have " To Do" list on my fridge for my friend and I to check off before we leave for the hospital and it includes filling 2 big bowls of food and fresh water for her. I might actually have one bowl extra that's a bit frozen so it stays fresher longer. I don't have money to buy an extra bowl but a plastic butter container should do.

She really is sweet. She's so smart to in some ways. She always finds her litter box right away if I move it,it's been moved 3 times on 2 months b/c we moved homes.

She loves her candies and runs every time I open MY bag of dried cranberries thinking they are her candies! It's so funny.

I think a few days before my EDD I'll give her a nice massage and a brushing.
June 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well extra water bowls don't have to be made for pets that are expensive. I have 2 gallon mixing bowls (I have 3 dogs and 2 cats) that I bought at Wal-Mart for $1 each. There's also Ziploc bowls that you can get for cheap. Just go down the summer plasticware aisle at Wal-Mart and they have TONS of stuff on sale for $1-$2 which should hopefully be affordable for you. Very rarely do I purchase stuff specifically made for pets...WAY too expensive.

Same goes for a litterbox. Head down the households aisle and look at the rubbermaid containers. Obviously make sure it's shallow enough but when we moved across country I needed something with a lid that I could seal up while on the road, bought a HUGE Rubbermaid container at Wal-Mart for $4. So you could easily head there, get a big bowl and a Rubbermaid container for $5-$7 and be set. Skip something small that's a frivilous thing and that'll pay for it. Things don't have to be expensive or pet specific just functional.

Last edited by SpazTaz; June 27th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search