Hoping someone will see this before tomorrow afternoon...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Hi! Popping in with a question!
We are planning on bombing the house tomorrow - it's been OVERRUN by fleas. Prior to Operation Itch-B-Gone, Pugsly will be getting a bath and a new flea collar. The issue I'm having is, I have nothing to do with the cat while the house is full of poisonous gas. The best solution I could come up with was to put him in his crate, outside in the shade, with food and water. We don't have a basement or a garage or anything of the sort that we could keep him in. I'm leery of even leaving him outside 'cause he's definitely an indoor cat, and I feel bad making him endure being outside for several hours when he HATES being outdoors. But again, it's the only thing I could come up with. (Other than putting him in the back of my van, which would also be pretty traumatic since Cait and I will be driving around running errands during the Bombing.)
So WDYT? Will he survive hanging out outside for a couple of hours?
June 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How big is the crate? If it is the dog crate or a decent size crate it won't be to bad and for sure better than staying inside. I would say that is your best option. Even if you don't have a bigger one than just a small I would go for that option. The car doesn't sound to fun either and could be more dangerous depending on temperatures where you live. I hope it goes smoothly tomorrow and you get rid of all the fleas.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I'd say neither. Call your vet and see about boarding him for a few hours. They'll probably charge you $20 or so but that's a whole lot safer (and air conditioned) than leaving him outside or in the car as bug bombing is usually a good 4-6 hour job (2-4 hours of the stuff sitting in the house and then another 2 hours or so to let it air out). If you truly cannot do that outside would be your better option given the time of year, but those crates are plastic and still heat up quickly and if it isn't something he's used to being stressed will heat him up as will simply being hot so that's a lot of stress to put on him.

Is Pugsly a cat or a dog? Either way I'd skip the bath and skip the flea collar (both are not a great idea), and get you some topical solutions such as Frontline Plus or Advantage to put on cat and/or dog for the summer months. Frontlins Plus will kill the eggs also and it runs around $10 per vile if you get it online (EntirelyPets Discount Pet meds Pet Supplies & Flea Medicine has it at a decent rate and if you look around you can find coupon codes) or you can go to a vet's office or PetCo and get it for $40 or so for a 3 month's supply (I actually saw it at Wal-Mart the other day oddly enough). Stay away from the Hartz garbage and Bio Spot, stick with things like Frontline Plus, Advantage, Revolution, K-9 Advantix (although Frontline Plus and Advantage are the only 2 approved for cats out of those). That way it kills the fleas and the eggs they're protected for a month and safety wise it's a lot safer than those shampoos and flea collars.

I'd also recommend a "no mess" flea bomb or you're going to be cleaning EVERYTHING. And don't be surprised if you need to do it again in 4-6 weeks when the flea eggs hatch. We had an infestation many years ago and it took me about 8 months to get the fleas 100% gone.

Good luck.

Last edited by SpazTaz; June 29th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
June 30th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree, you can probably find a boarding facility or vet's office that will keep her for the day. Many boarding facilities will require proof of UTD vaccines though. Or could you ask a friend/family member to watch your cat, even if its leaving her in the kennel all day? At least she would be indoors and out of the heat.

And the flea shampoos and collars are pretty much a waste of money. They never seem to get rid of all the fleas. Monthly Advantage or Frontline will do the trick. Both are sold over the counter. Frontline also protects against ticks, but I'm not sure where you live or if that would be necessary.

Revolution is a great product for dogs and cats, as it protects against fleas, intestinal parasites, ear mite, and heart work. It is prescription only though and you will need a negative heartworm test first.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Sorry I didn't respond sooner - my interwebs went kaput this morning.
We did end up putting the cat outside. It was beautiful out - about 70 degrees. The corner of our yard had good shade and a nice breeze. Pugsly did surprisingly well - he meowed for about five minutes, and then curled up and slept for a couple of hours.
We do have Advantage, and will be putting it on him in a couple of days. He did get a bath this morning - just Johnson's baby wash with a touch of Dawn. (Aside from the fleas, he really just needed a bath. He doesn't seem to know what to do with himself in the winter, and he won't often let us brush him, so he had leftover under-coat from this past winter.) After the indignity of the bath, he wouldn't hold still for the flea collar anyway, so we're holding off on that for now.
June 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Sorry I didn't respond sooner - my interwebs went kaput this morning.
We did end up putting the cat outside. It was beautiful out - about 70 degrees. The corner of our yard had good shade and a nice breeze. Pugsly did surprisingly well - he meowed for about five minutes, and then curled up and slept for a couple of hours.
We do have Advantage, and will be putting it on him in a couple of days. He did get a bath this morning - just Johnson's baby wash with a touch of Dawn. (Aside from the fleas, he really just needed a bath. He doesn't seem to know what to do with himself in the winter, and he won't often let us brush him, so he had leftover under-coat from this past winter.) After the indignity of the bath, he wouldn't hold still for the flea collar anyway, so we're holding off on that for now.
Please don't EVER use baby shampoo on your animals (cat or dog) it is HORRIBLY bad for their skin and coat. Either cat shampoo or a bit of Dawn but that should be it other than water. Baby shampoo is actually not good for a baby's hair either quite honestly but the PH is not correct for animals so stay away from it for pets. Advantage you can put on now...why risk kitty getting infested all over again?

PLEASE take the flea collar back, throw it away, whatever. They're downright dangerous and I've seen and almost had my own cat die from one not to mention they're really not effective much past their neck anyway. If you're using a good topical such as Advantage you won't need the baths and flea collars anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search