Popping in with a cat bloody urine/UTI question!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So about 3-4 weeks ago my 2 year old female spayed cat was peeing blood. We took her to the vet and the gave us 2 weeks worth of Clovamox. By the time she was done with the meds she did fine with not peeing blood. Last night she peed on my couch (something she started doing when she was bleeding last time) and it was bloody! What the crap!

So lets rewind to the end of March. We switched the cats from Iams dry food to Blue Buffalo dry food when we got the dog because we had done more research and just decided Blue Buffalo would be better for all except our wallets.. not a big deal. Well now we are starting to wonder if the bloody urine/suspected UTI has something to do with the Blue Buffalo cat food. We switched them over gradually and our 1 1/2 year old male cat is having no symptoms.

I read somewhere to give some wet cat food to help get them to pee more often to hopefully flush their systems, so we started that this morning. We are also thinking of switching them back to Iams to see if that helps.

Any suggestions???

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
July 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
PLEASE do not switch back ot Iams. It really has nothing to do with the food. I would imagine she just didn't take the meds long enough. They *should* have had you come back a week after the meds were done to take a urine sample to make sure it took care of the entire infection if they didn't then that is the culprit not your food. If an infection is really bad sometimes it takes longer than the normal time or a different antibiotic to take care of the issue. From a human perspective I was suffering with UTI's off and on for 8 months before the doc finally did a culture and found out the antibiotics they had been prescribing weren't strong enough and so the last round FINALLY blasted it out of my system but I had to take it for double the time people usually do because it had been going on for so long. Animals aren't much different.

I'd take her back into the vet and have them culture it to make sure they're using the right antibiotic first off and then make sure that she takes it for a long enough period of time. She could also have kidney disease so if you go another round of antibiotics and it happens again she should probably start having blood work done and looking into a possible kidney issue.

Also until her UTI has cleared up and you're in the clear I'd take the dry food away all together and give her all canned. Or mix the dry with water so that it's a moist food. Cats notoriously do not drink enough water so mixing her dry with water until her medical problem has cleared up or giving her canned exclusively or if she'll eat it add some water to the canned as well would be the best thing for her.

First things first though she needs to go back to the vet ASAP and get a different antibiotic and possibly some additional lab work done to make sure that all you are dealing with is a simple UTI. UTI's can also be a symptom of kidney disease.

But the food in itself wouldn't cause just a regular UTI and there's nothing in BB versus Iams that would make any difference at that. If you really think it's the BB, then choose another HEALTHY food to switch to (if you have a costco card they have their own brand of cat food that is GREAT quality and is only $17 for a 25 pound bag) or there's Felidae or Wellness as well as a few others.
July 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Just going to agree you need to get her back to the vet ASAP.
July 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran
I JUST went through this,. I ended up at the er at midnight. Kitty is now on a special diet. And i give extra water in a syringe. I also did the antibiotic for 2 weeks along with the new canned food. I also took away ALL dry food until he started getting back to normal. Now i limit the dry food. He also is on special diet dry food

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search