Hey everyone!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Super Mommy
Hi my name is Hilary, 22, married and expecting our first baby, a girl! My DH and I are looking for a dog to add to our family. We need a dog that will be good with a newborn baby and who will be protective. We are moving into a house in a month or so and can't wait to start looking for a doggy. Anyone have any suggestions for breeds that would be good? thanks for your input!

July 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome! Congrats on your pregnancy! I just had my first baby this January, a little girl as well!
As far as breeds, you'll need to research a bit and decide what type fits in best with your personalities, but I love pit bulls (as you can tell from my siggy) and they make great dogs for kids. Let us know how your search goes!

July 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would HIGHLY suggest you hold off until your daughter is 6 months or so. Not for safety reasons but for time reasons. Having been there done that, babies are obviously a HUGE time committment and your schedule will be very new, hormones all over the place, and things are pretty new and chaotic the first few months. Bringing a dog into that which will need some basic training, possible potty training, and will be going through being in a new place, etc it's just A LOT to take on all at one time. Waiting until your child is 6-12 months give you time to get into a routine, the sleeplessness to wear off, and things to settle in before adding something else into the mix. Once you get past that, then look into getting a dog and at that point you should be able to devote the proper time to training and giving them time to acclimate without making them more nervous, your hormones will have evened out so you will have the patience for something new, etc.

Just a suggestion.

On the dog itself I would definitely recommend a dog 2-3 years old so that potty training and hopefully a command or two are already instilled as puppies are A TON of work and with a baby it's 10 times more difficult. A rescue would probably be a good place to start since they test them with babies, adults, other dogs, etc and can give you an idea on their personality. As a general rule (obviously exceptions to all of these), Boxers, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Labs, Mastiffs, Great Danes, Pit Bulls (as mentioned above), Newfies all make good family dogs...guard dog kind of depends on the dog moreso than the breed IMO, but all of the ones I mentioned are known for protective traits.

Good luck!
July 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there and congratulations on your baby DH and I are also wanting to get a dog but we're also TTC #1 and we're not sure when to get a dog. I feel like I want to get one right now because we don't know when we'll actually conceive or how long it will take. DH want to wait until we have a baby, which I don't feel comfortable with since I'll have to take care of a newborn. So I agree with Meghan about waiting a while, if possible, but of course it's up to you. I know how much I love dogs and how badly I want one right away. We will be getting a 1 to 2 year old rescued Golden Retriever, because they are very gentle and get along with babies well.

Good luck on whatever you decide
July 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Every breed has its pros and cons. I would say if you are wanting a puppy to wait until your baby is older. They say to not have a puppy and baby at the same time. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
You can search the local animal shelters and rescues and see what kinds of dogs they have. The shelters usually have people that can help you find a dog that fits your family. I do think that knowing kind of which breeds you are wanting will help.
Do you guys want a small dog, medium, large or extra large?
Lots of fur, short coat?
Female or male?
Age?
Just some things to think about. Good luck in your search.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
EllenCarroll's Avatar Proud Army Wife
Send a message via AIM to EllenCarroll Send a message via Yahoo to EllenCarroll
I am very into researching your options. Find a website that you can go to and read about different breeds, what are their temperments, are they good with kids? do they do good in apartment life (if you live in an apartment) Things like that. There are LOTS of different types, you can get Companion breeds, working groups, Herding groups, lots to look through and decide! Goodluck!!
July 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Megan. If I were you I would definitely wait and see how you feel after the baby. I had my son 9 months ago, and I have a wonderfully trained and well mannered 9 year old dog that we've had his whole life. I must admit, it was so hard to take care of him during those early months. I can't imagine having a puppy/young dog or even a new dog and an infant at the same time. Just a thought! Maybe do some research now and wait until after baby gets here to make the final decision?
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search