Feral cats

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a feral cat who has two little ones in our backyard. They are hiding behind the shed, in a little cave. They come out during the day and today I put some food there and they ate it. The little kittens look about 4 to 5 months old and they are so beautiful. DH and I would like to know if anyone has had an experience with feral cats? It would be great if we could catch them and get them fixed. Does anyone know if there are places where they would be able to be spayed or neutered for cheap? We would so like to keep the little ones, if it's possible to catch them. How would you go about domesticating feral cats? Would that be possible now?

Thanks

here's some photos ( the mommie is in the middle )

July 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have some. Typically you rent traps from the Humane Society or animal control or a feed and tack place and trap them in the cages. Once you do that you can take them down to the Humane Society or a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area (do a Google search).

At 5 months old, if they haven't had any human contact it isn't impossible to tame them but it will be very difficult and they may never be the wonderful loving house cat that you may want. They're all different so you can try and hope for it to work but be prepared that you may have to let them go.
July 19th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww they're all so cute! There's no harm in trying to tame them. Even if you can't, at least getting them fixed will help keep the feral cat population down. Try to catch the mama too if you can. You'll probably have to let her go, but at least she'll be spayed. You can rent a trap as suggested or even buy one if you want. My parents bought there's for like $20 I think (they have a raccoon problem, lol).
My parents took in a feral kitten a couple years ago. She was younger though, about 8 weeks and it took them a long, long time to tame her down and she is still very skittish. She loves my parents and even sleeps in bed with them, but she is still very afraid of any new people. I was there last month for 3.5 weeks and she only let me pet her the last couple days I was there.
I hope it works out with them, KUP!

July 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys for your help! We will try to catch them soon. I'll let you know how it goes
July 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
EllenCarroll's Avatar Proud Army Wife
Send a message via AIM to EllenCarroll Send a message via Yahoo to EllenCarroll
Goodluck with trying to catch them, I agree spaying/neutering them would help the population so much. I know taming them can be done, it takes a lot of patience. My close friend actually has 3 of them and they are best little companions ever!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search