Deaf Dogs

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Anyone have any experiences with raising and keeping a deaf dog?
July 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't personally, but I knew someone who had a deaf dog and she was just as sweet, alert and well mannered as her hearing dog. That probably doesn't help much!

July 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've fostered a few deaf dogs, trained them, never kept them just because I wasn't adopting a dog at the time but had them for a few months, trained them, took care of them etc. Here's a great link on deaf dogs. Feel free to post here or PM me.

DDEAF Training Tips
July 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, I've decided to take one of my friend's pups who is deaf. She's training her in the meantime until I get myself settled and into a house of my own. I saw that site, I haven't found much else though. It answered most of my questions, I just wish there were more resources.

How did the deaf dog get along with the hearing dog? And vice versa? Did the hearing dogs act differently around the deaf dogs? That's my main concern. I'm not worried about her with my daughter because we sat on the floor with the puppy and Kenna fed her treats. And of course being a baby and still getting the hang of "gentle" was a little rough with her and she didn't mind one bit. That is definitely something I know we need to work on, but I'm excited at the prospect of Kenna learning to sign with the dogs, and growing up around it.
July 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by my.estrella View Post
Well, I've decided to take one of my friend's pups who is deaf. She's training her in the meantime until I get myself settled and into a house of my own. I saw that site, I haven't found much else though. It answered most of my questions, I just wish there were more resources.

How did the deaf dog get along with the hearing dog? And vice versa? Did the hearing dogs act differently around the deaf dogs? That's my main concern. I'm not worried about her with my daughter because we sat on the floor with the puppy and Kenna fed her treats. And of course being a baby and still getting the hang of "gentle" was a little rough with her and she didn't mind one bit. That is definitely something I know we need to work on, but I'm excited at the prospect of Kenna learning to sign with the dogs, and growing up around it.
Deaf dogs are NO different than a hearing dog except they can't hear. They will have problems with other dogs if they were not properly socialized (same as their hearing counterparts) and will be fine if they were properly socialized. Being deaf or not will not determine how they get along with other dogs, people, cats, etc (so I can't answer that without knowing the dog). I will say most rescues will only place a deaf dog in a home with a hearing dog. Makes things easier, say if they are in the yard you call the hearing dog typically the deaf one will follow. One thing you have to remember is that dog needs to be on leash 100% of the time it's just too easy for them to take off and with not being able to hear you, car horns, cars, etc it's really dangerous. I doubt dogs know that they're deaf or hearing and vise versa so no they don't act different around each other unless one or the other has a personality problem (but again that happens with any dogs).

Best thing you can remember is the deaf dog is no different than a hearing dog except they can't hear. So yes you will need to implement hand signals, keep on leash, use different techniques for bite inhibition as things like yelping won't work, but other than those minor differences they are still a dog and unlike people don't know that they're different so they don't get that mental status (unless YOU make them different by treating them differently) like some humans do. You have to adjust training methods a bit but other than that everything is the same.
July 22nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The lady I worked with had two dogs (one hearing one deaf) and she often brought them to work. The deaf one acted just like a regular, well socialized dog. You wouldn't have known it was deaf unless she told you.

July 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am hopeing to some day have a Deaf Dane. Everything I have learned says they are no different than any other dog. They just can't be yelled at to get out of the trash . You have to get up. But in many ways they can be wonderful because the loud kids don't bother them . I have found a lot of rescues won't let us adopt a deaf dog because we don't have experience .
What kind of dog are you getting?
You could look for a forum for that breed and see if they have additional resources. I have found one for great danes and they talk about different things I can do and people are always willing to help.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
She is 100% mutt. My friend was at Sonic with her GF and a woman came up and said if someone didn't take the puppy she was taking her to she shelter. The woman said she was LabXGoldenXShar Pei, but she also has some tan dapply coloring so there's got to be something else floating around in there. Here's a pic.

Thanks for all the info. I need to pickup a book with more information on training and signs. She has such a great personality though, and is so tolerant with Kenna. She's already caught on to the signs for come, sit, and down.
July 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd also HIGHLY recommend you find a trainer in your area that has some experience with deaf dogs and LOTS of socializing. Unsocialized dogs are a disaster waiting to happen anyway, a deaf unsocialized one that can't hear you call, etc is downright dangerous so LOTS of socializing with people and other dogs.

Good luck!

Also as a side note...has she been tested at the vet to 100% determine deafness? I've seen more than one case where an owner (even shelter) thought the dog was deaf only to find out that wasn't the case, so just a thought too.
July 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Oh she will definitely be seeing a trainer, and lots of socializing. There are a few training clubs that I'll be looking into, I'm going to look into the PetsMart training too but I doubt they have experience with deaf dogs. She has been tested at a vet and it was 100% confirmed that she is completely deaf.
July 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Congratulations!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search