ladies i need your help :( sad story

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2010, 11:24 AM
brittany_g87's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to brittany_g87
Hello ladies im just looking for advice this morning our pug whom we loved and cherished passed away at the vet long story short i believe it is my fault i let him out around 1 yesterday went to let him in around 3 becuz i completely forgot he was out there and he was in a heat stroke went into shock at the vet and passed away this morning i am taking full blame for this ( now the advice i need from you all is how do i tell my 4 yr old im soo confused i dont know what to do do i get another dog do i wait do i put his stuff up leave it out im just so lost i feel like i lost one of my babies and it will never be the same again so if any of yall have any words of wisdom i would appreciate it thanks in advance

August 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Christina33's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I first want to say that I'm very sorry for your loss. And it is absolutely NOT YOUR FAULT! Accidents happen, Sweetie, and some are very sad.

As the mother of children who LOVE animal, I can tell you we have had a few animals pass away, including a puppy my MIL accidently ran over. I find it best to tell them quickly and straightly - like taking off and band-aid - and then be there to comfort them. When my son's guinea pig died he had to stay home from school one day because he was so sad, he cried all day. But he found comfort in knowing that my husband buried it and there was a place he could go to to remember it.
Also ... I think it's a good idea to get another pet right away - even if it's not another dog. Just something to help them get through this and fill that empty place.

Good luck to you

Thank You ~steph2007~ For My Beautiful Spring Siggy!

August 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So sorry about your loss, but don't blame yourself.

I agree that you need to tell you child as soon as you can. I believe, as difficult as it is, that parents should be honest with children about death as it is a part of life. Just as you need closure with the loss, so does your child and children need to learn how to mourn and then move on. I think it might be a good idea to hold a little memorial for your dog, let your kids talk about what they loved about him and how you all will miss him.
I personally do NOT think it is a good idea to get another pet or any kind, because it implies that pets are objects that can simply be replaced. I think it is best for you to wait until the family has grieved and as a whole is ready for a new pet.
This is all my opinion, you have to decide what is best for your family. Good luck.

August 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am so sorry about your loss.

I would normally say getting a new pet is a very healing experience. HOWEVER I see in your siggie you are expecting and the reality is that probably isn't the best idea. New puppies and babies are rough.
I do agree tell your son and perhaps ask him what he would like to do with the items. Involve him in the process so he can learn and grow.
I hope it goes smoothly.

Well geez a lou I just noticed I was very late adding to this . I am so sorry I didn't notice before. I hope it went well whatever you decided.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree. Our dog died when my son was 5 and we were honest. Well we told him that Lucas went to heaven but he was dead he wouldn't see him anymore. Definitely be honest, and I wouldn't rush out and get another dog right this second...everyone needs time to mourn, even if it's only a week they need to realize that you cannot just replace the dog that it was a living creature and deserves the respect and time and consideration to be mourned.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search