??? Dogs in Heat

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Christina33's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey everyone! I have a question about dogs in heat .... It seems that each time our dog goes into heat, or gets ready to go into heat, she has trouble with her bladder. She's house-trained and usually VERY good about it! I tell ya, she could hold it for DAYS if she wanted! Maybe that's her problem? Maybe she's trying to hold it too long and she loses control?
Tonight she peed on our sofa! In 2 different places!! She was sitting on DH's lap while he fed her bites of cheese, So I know she wasn't mad at anything. DH said he noticed her nosing a blanket around the sofa, like she was trying to arrange it comfortably to lay on - Well that blanket was covering the wet spots!
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thank You ~steph2007~ For My Beautiful Spring Siggy!

August 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She's probably marking. First off I'd recommend getting her fixed. It would solve the issue as well as any accidental pregnancies. But it's a common misconception that only male dogs mark wherein statistically speaking it happens more with females than males. If you're sure it's urine and not drool or something else then I'd say she's probably marking.

Regardless I'd HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to spay your dog, there's no reason to leave her intact and infact you're increasing cancer percentages and shortening her life span in the process as well.
August 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much.
I know I need to spay her and I do plan to get it done when this heat is over

August 13th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can do them when they're in heat too. It's usually an additional $50 or so at clinics but you don't have to wait. In the meantime make sure she is not let outside unattended even to go to the bathroom, only takes a couple of seconds for a dog to jump the wall and them to tie.

If you're sure she doesn't have a bladder infection, then I'd say she's probably marking.
August 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I think she definitely was marking! Being that she was right next to dh at the time - she's very protective and doesn't like anyone else by him, esp. his 2 nephews which I baby-sit everyday. If they curl up in his lap, she tries to "nose" them out of the way! I think in her doggie way, she was trying to let everyone know that's HER spot on the sofa, next to Daddy.
And we keep a very close eye on her at all times. DH feels like that is his daughter and he's very careful no boy can get access to her
Thanks a lot for the advice, it really does make a difference when you can go somewhere to ask a question and get a good answer so fast. I'm very appreciative.

August 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have heard you should wait three months from when they have a heat to spay them to allow the hormones to go back to normal levels before you mess them up again. I don't know if this is just for specific dogs or all dogs. Sounds like you figured out what was going on though.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Coming from a breeder, so I deal with this alot, lol, when they are in heat it's very similar to when AF comes to visit us. You just gotta go. Sometimes you can hold it to get where you need to go, and sometimes you aren't so lucky. Granted getting her spayed will help in that department, but know that spaying can lead to UT problems later, this mostly occurs in pups that are spayed way too early! Hope that helps some!
August 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnMyLabs View Post
Coming from a breeder, so I deal with this alot, lol, when they are in heat it's very similar to when AF comes to visit us. You just gotta go. Sometimes you can hold it to get where you need to go, and sometimes you aren't so lucky. Granted getting her spayed will help in that department, but know that spaying can lead to UT problems later, this mostly occurs in pups that are spayed way too early! Hope that helps some!
It does.
I always wonder if it has something to do with her heat because she's house broke SO WELL!! I mean, she can hold it! But right around heat for her she starts having accidents. One time I picked her up because I noticed a puddle on the floor and she was STILL PEEING!! Poor thing! She couldn't stop herself! By the time it was over, she had peed all down my leg and made a trail out the door, where I was carrying her outside It was like she couldn't even move by herself.

August 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina33 View Post
It does.
I always wonder if it has something to do with her heat because she's house broke SO WELL!! I mean, she can hold it! But right around heat for her she starts having accidents. One time I picked her up because I noticed a puddle on the floor and she was STILL PEEING!! Poor thing! She couldn't stop herself! By the time it was over, she had peed all down my leg and made a trail out the door, where I was carrying her outside It was like she couldn't even move by herself.
My chocolate lab is in heat right now as we speak, so I know all too well what you are talking about, lol! She will go outside and not even squat and just go, and go, and go. Poor thing will be walking around for like a good minute just peeing. But it's the same urge for them as it is for us during that time, and when you gotta go, you go, lol.
August 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe I'm weird, but NEVER seen a female dog urinate uncontrollably while in heat unless they had a UTI or bladder issue (and for the record that doesn't happen to me either personally). I'd have her checked by a vet just to be on the safe side as UTI's not treated can cause issues too. But would definitely put a call into your vet just to be sure.

Would also get her fixed ASAP.
August 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Well, I believe she's ok. Like I said, it ONLY happens when she's in heat. And it ALWAYS happens when she's in heat. After 3 1/2 years with my baby, I know her well enough to know when to worry.
If there was something really wrong with her, I believe she'd do it other than when she's in heat. But thanks for your concern. I appreciate it.
And to LovnMyLabs: Thanks! You know just where I'm coming from

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search