Any horse lovers out there?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello! I am pregnant with my 1st child, darling daughter! I am terribly horse crazy, but haven't been riding after starting the third trimester per doctors request. Any other horse crazies out there?

I have 4 horses of my own and do quite a bit of training/ lessons. I have 2 Arabians and 2 ponies. Love them!
August 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
I'm an avid horse lover myself. I own a Paint/Quarter Horse cross mare that lives back in TX with my aunt who has a horse farm. She breeds paints and QH's. I used to ride in a horseback drill team that traveled all around NE TX performing in rodeos and things. Those were the best summers of my life. If me and DH ever have enough money to buy some land I am definitely going to bring my Skye up to SC!

I'm guessing you train English style?

August 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
EllenCarroll's Avatar Proud Army Wife
Send a message via AIM to EllenCarroll Send a message via Yahoo to EllenCarroll
Definite Horse lover here! I used to barrel Race when I was younger. I used to own a beautiful black Alabama Racking Horse, Had to give her up when I joined the military. I miss her terribly! Horses to me are so relaxing, no matter how stressed or uspet I am, I go around them and all my worries dissapear.
August 23rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
They are my total stress reliever. Since I can't ride right now I am enjoying just grooming them. They kind of dig getting all the love and no work, heehee!!!!

I train both English and Western horses. I do Arabian shows, so we do both. And I love things about both!
August 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I love horses and can't wait until we can move out to the country and have some. I really want to get my daughter lessons she loves them too.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
SoCal Mommy's Avatar Connor & Hayden's Mom
Yes, horse lover and former equestrian here...

I was fortunate enough to grow up with horses, started riding when I was 3, began showing when I was 8... By the time I was in junior high and high school, I owned three of my own horses. When I started college, I made the (hard) decision to sell off my final two mares, to focus on the future... That was ten years ago, I haven't owned a horse since, but do miss them.

Maybe someday I will have one again. Until then, I visit my parents Icelandic horses when I get the itch to bury my face in their manes and take in the sweet smell of horses...

September 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran
Horse lover here as well. I have 2 and DH has 1 that my DD has taken over I barrel race so I have 1 QH and 1 Appendix. We did have 4 but I lost two of my competition horses last year while we were in TN in a lightning storm, it was horrible. So then after we moved back to WA I bought my Appendix. I haven't ridden much since having my DS but hopefully next year I will be back to competing again! I miss it terribly.
September 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkle 2010 View Post
They are my total stress reliever. Since I can't ride right now I am enjoying just grooming them. They kind of dig getting all the love and no work, heehee!!!!

I train both English and Western horses. I do Arabian shows, so we do both. And I love things about both!
Fellow Arab gal here too! I have a 25-yr old Arab gelding that I used to show in Hunter Pleasure and Country English Pleasure (saddleseat) on the AHA circuit. Right now we have him at home, plus 2 boarders, an App/QH and a retired standardbred who raced for 10 years.

I hung up my half chaps when I found out I was pregnant - just couldn't bring myself to risk it - and just got back in the saddle last week! It was wonderful!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

September 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
I hung up my half chaps when I found out I was pregnant - just couldn't bring myself to risk it - and just got back in the saddle last week! It was wonderful!
Lucky you! I can't wait to ride again! I rode up until my third trimester, then my doc kicked me off. Everything I was riding during the 1st and 2nd trimester were horses that have been in training w/ me for awhile and I know well. Now that its into the final trimester, it is nice to not worry about something happening. My poor half arab is so bored though! All of my others can be used in my lesson program, but he is my show horse. He looks at me like "What have I done wrong?"

Do you have any plans of getting back into AHA shows? Your daughter is precious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runzbarrel View Post
Horse lover here as well. I have 2 and DH has 1 that my DD has taken over I barrel race so I have 1 QH and 1 Appendix. We did have 4 but I lost two of my competition horses last year while we were in TN in a lightning storm, it was horrible. So then after we moved back to WA I bought my Appendix. I haven't ridden much since having my DS but hopefully next year I will be back to competing again! I miss it terribly.

That is awful about the lightning storm! Were you living in Tennessee? I have quite a few friends in western TN and western KY that barrel race pretty often.

September 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkle 2010 View Post
Lucky you! I can't wait to ride again! I rode up until my third trimester, then my doc kicked me off. Everything I was riding during the 1st and 2nd trimester were horses that have been in training w/ me for awhile and I know well. Now that its into the final trimester, it is nice to not worry about something happening. My poor half arab is so bored though! All of my others can be used in my lesson program, but he is my show horse. He looks at me like "What have I done wrong?"

Do you have any plans of getting back into AHA shows? Your daughter is precious!

That is awful about the lightning storm! Were you living in Tennessee? I have quite a few friends in western TN and western KY that barrel race pretty often.
Yeah it was in TN, not much lightning around Seattle
September 28th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Belladine's Avatar Veteran
I love horses, always have but I've never owned one and I've probably taken 6 months worth of lessons spread out through my entire life so I don't have a lot of riding experience. I'd love to own a horse some day and is a goal i've set in my life.
September 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNewestPhelps
Hello! I’ve been riding since I was 7.

I began riding English, but soon turned to cloverleaf barrels when I found out I could actually teach the appy I was riding not to trip over her own shadow! After a TON of hard work, I found out she wasn’t half bad. However, I ALSO found out that I loved the dedication of training more than the thrill of the competition!

I soon outgrew Belle (The appy. I never owned her but she was “mine” for years.) so my parents surprised me with my first horse Dixie (A backyard mare. She looked quarab with a little TB mixed it. Possibly some TWH also. Who knows. Lol) Over the years I’ve owned several horses. The ones that REALLY come to mind are:
- Dixie, my first true love.
- Boo, my first yearling who was more dog than horse!
- Mike, my first Thoroughbred, and registered horse. However, he had a medical problem so we didn’t have him for very long.
- C Me Run, my first rescue. Looked EXACTLY like Dixie but younger. However, after a thorough vet check, we found out that she wouldn’t be able to bend her right front leg by the time she’s three years old. So, against my objections, my parents got their money back.
- Nera and Baby. Baby was my first real project and Magia Nera was her dam. They were both paints, Nera a dark bay overo and Baby a sorrel and white tobiano. I had Baby for years. When I got her, you couldn’t touch her. She was my best friend. However, when I graduated high school and moved away, I had to sell her. Can’t keep a horse in an apartment. (Darn it.)
- Kyler, a mustang x appaloosa. He was an awesome horse, though too smart for his own good. He got his head stuck in the fence one time because he found a way to maneuver through it to get the grass on the other side, though not how to get back out! This is the horse that caused a compression fracture in my T12 vertebrae. But I never held it against him.
- Bella, my second rescue. She was skin and bones when I got her, though after a vet administered intestinal wormer and about 3 weeks of good grazing and a balanced diet, she was about 350 lbs heavier.
- Dollar. My current mare, and third rescue. She’s a registered thoroughbred with Secretariet and Seattle Slew bloodlines. Her reg. name is All American Doll, though I literally paid a dollar for her (so it would be a legal sale. They wanted to give her to me. ) so I called her Dollar. She just recently turned 4 and won her maiden race, though couldn’t keep up the streak and went into early retirement to a home where she just couldn’t be cared for and slowly diminished to almost nothing. We’re on the road to recovery and it’s going wonderfully!

I miss riding since Dollar was in NO condition to have ANYTHING on her back when I got her, and it’s been a slow process. But with a few more pounds and some more muscle mass, she’ll be ready, and I’m SO excited!
I’ll have some before and after pics of Dollar up soon.

Thank you Zarziza for my perfect siggy!
October 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Me me me!!! I am new here, just joined the asthma and preemie boards, but I too am a horse lover and owner. I own a 14 year old TB (actually appendix) gelding. He is a great saddle horse, even though he was on the track until he was 4 years old when he cracked his sesamoid bone and was given a 50/50 chance of recovery. Given that he is an x-race horse he is very well mannered, in fact, my 10 year old learned to ride on him last summer. He is very mellow and easy to handle... until you get him into a group of 10 or so horses, then he peps up a bit, but not too much, just more than what an inexperienced rider should be trusted with. Anyway, after 6 months rest and recovery he did heal from his racing injury, but let me tell you, this horse is NOT an easy keep. He is a huge horse, he is 17.2 hands and drops weight easily. He is on a diet of free choice pasture all day, then free choice hay (about 80% alfalfa 20% grass) all night. Every evening he gets a ration of soaked beet pulp, oats (only to encourage him to eat the beet pulp because he is picky, he is going to Equine Senior as soon as this bag of oats is gone) rice bran, corn oil, and celluplex to help him gain weight. The beet pulp and rice bran has done wonders to put weight on him, but once we stop, he noticeably drops weight. I highly recommend this ration to anyone struggling with weight gain in older horses!! It was suggested by our vet, and works great.

My other horse is a 3 year old filly. She is a registered APHA, but she is Grey. She is a 'paint that aint.' LOL. My husband bought her for me about 6 months ago and I LOVE this little horse. No one has ever ridden her but me, I am the only one who has ever done anything with her and she is awesome. I broke her myself and love her to death. I have not had her very long, but could not part with her for anything!! Even better, she is a very easy keep!
October 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are thinking about getting a couple mini horses. We have no prior horse experience. Would most breeders likely sell to us?

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

October 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
We are thinking about getting a couple mini horses. We have no prior horse experience. Would most breeders likely sell to us?
Where are you in WA? I might could help you...
October 17th, 2010, 02:08 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh sorry forgot about this post. yep WA. Currently in Bellevue but looking to move to Duvall, Carnation, Woodinville, or Monroe in hopefully 2 years. I saw you can adopt them for $200-$300. I also would not mind spending up to $2k on one. I found some breeders in the area. I just love them but I havent been able to have horse experience since growing up my parents were poor and than I had kids young and had to put their needs first. Finally we are getting financiall stable and we are saving for a downpayment on a house. A hobby farm has been my dream since a child and 2 mini horses and chickens I love the most and want to get the most. I know I have no experience but I have never given up any animal I have ever aquired and I will always take the best of care of them.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

March 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Old thread but oh well =]

I currently have a 7 year old black overo paint gelding named Rorschach, he is a handful and a brat but I love the heck out of him!

Before Rory, I have mostly owned arabs, but being 5'7" it was hard for me feeling comfortable on them.

So now I have big cutting horse butt, Rory!

Attaching a picture of him =]

April 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
Horse Person here as well!! I currently have 4 horses here with me, a 3 y/o QH Stallion, a 6 y/o mustang gelding, a 14 y/o mustang mare, and a 7 y/o Halflinger pony mare. I have MANY others that are currently at my mom's place, we bred Paints and Quarters and she shows Reining horses, I do some training but have not been doing as much lately as I normally do.
April 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Welcome Jen! Would love to see pictures of your horsie kids!
April 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
There are way too many to post them all individually so here is a link to one of my albums. They are not in any order, and some of them look like dupilcates but is really just that they are different sized because I would need different sizes for different things have fun looking through them.

Horse pics

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search