Lurker with dog behavior questions?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
My parents, who I live with, have two dogs.
One is a coonhound/beagle mix (who howls like crazy, but that's another story) and one is a pomeranian.
The mix is a female, spayed and about 2 years old. She's got a whole bunch of problems, and my parents don't seem to care much about training her. She will literally steal food out of my younger sisters' hands (they are 7 and 5), and when she is mad at someone (Ex. If you tell her to stop barking) she will squat and pee at the kitchen gate. That way no matter how hard you try to avoid stepping in it, you end up getting your foot in pee anyways. It's really gross! It doesn't matter if she was out 5 seconds prior, and doesn't have to pee. She will find the pee and soak the floor. 1-3 times DAILY! And if we have a single garbage bag in the kitchen, she takes EVERYTHING out. If she sees someone put something in the trash, the whole bag is emptied in seconds. We have a small trash "box" made of wood, but it simply doesn't hold enough, and you can't get larger items (ex. pizza boxes) in it..so we tend to have a bag outside of the box.

The pomeranian is a male and NOT neutered. He's about a year old. He doesn't 'mate' with anything, other than occasionally trying to dominate our 15lb male cat. He's very good with the kids and my daughter (he loves her!) and is relatively well behaved..
Usually.
He,also, steals food from my sisters. He will steal their sandwich and if they try to take it back, he snaps at them.
My parents are also rather neglectful about taking him outside. Lately, they don't do it at ALL.
Yes, that means not once.
I try to when I can, but with a 7 month old, I can't be on top of caring for a dog that does not belong to me and that I didn't want in the first place...
so he pees and poops everywhere. It's..just..horrible.
They tried putting down pee pads, but he ignored them..
He will pee on clothes/diapers (I use cloth)/ the couch whenever someone is at the door or if he gets excited.
I've tried getting my parents to neuter him.. he needs it.. but they say "we will" and never do. I cannot afford to neuter him. I'm a single parent and barely get by!

For the mix..
how can we get rid of her peeing and food stealing issues? How do we stop her from scattering trash?

For the pomeranian..
How can we/I get him to pee on a pee pad? What about the peeing on the couch/clothes/etc. when he's excited?

They're really starting to get to me...

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
August 29th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, there's ways to fix all animal behavior problems...BUT it requires A LOT of work and work from EVERYONE in the home...you, your parents, your sisters, EVERYONE and if EVERYONE is not on board then the efforts will fail and to be honest it's pointless.

YOU deciding to train the dog isn't going to work if your parents and sisters will allow the behavior to happen. If everyone in the home is not willing to change their routine as well as their attitude (a lot of training is about your energy not just the commands), then it's going to fail.

If everyone in the home decides to get on board and that they want help then that's wonderful, I'd recommend a behaviorist (the one in my area is $75 for an hour and a half session and it typically only takes 1-2 sessions) who can come in, see everyone's body language, attitude, interaction with the dogs, how the dogs interact with them, etc and they'd be the best person to help you. But again, unless everyone living in the home is going to be on board and practicing the same techniques it's a moot point and a waste of time and money and will just end up confusing the dogs in the end.

On training to use pee pads, you just have to start at potty training 101 and start crating when you cannot physically watch him...but honestly just letting him out for 10 minutes every 3-4 hours would probably be easier than retraining him to go on pads when he's been trained to go outside.

Also to add, the dog isn't getting mad and urinating on the floor. Dogs do not have emotions in the same way people do. Sounds like it's a submissive urination and/or anxiety type bahavioral problem. You can Google submissive urination. It's relatively common especially in females (sounds like your male has a mild form as well if he urinates when he gets excited). So it's partially fixable but not without A LOT of patience, training, and work...but I'd also say not to get mad at her because it is a psychological problem not an "I'm pissed at you" issue.

Very sad situation for those poor dogs IMO.

Last edited by SpazTaz; August 29th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
August 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have been told the pads don't really work. But honestly don't have any experience.
Do you have crates? One way to stop the food stealing would be to put them in their crates when the kids are eating.
I also agree if everyone isn't on the same page then the training won't stick.
Can you move the trash?
I would say for the peeing of the male just let him out when you can and hope for the best. I bet that is frustrating for you. Wish I could help more. Good luck.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I have some insight to the peeing. Your beagle sounds like she has anxiety issues. She barks because she's a beagle and because she's anxious and then she gets yelled at so she pees. Solution: teach her the command "stop."

Take some tiny training treats. Feed her a couple of treats. Say "stop" a few times and give her the treats as you do. Wait for the behavior to happen. Say "stop" and she'll more than likely come to you and you give her a treat. Snap a leash on her and take her out so she can pee. This is gonna be an uphill battle for a few weeks.

This also means you're gonna be walking around with dog treats in your pockets for weeks waiting for her to bark.

As for the food, you're going to teach both dogs, one at a time, the command "Back." Youtube My Smart Puppy and you can find a video of how to teach a dog "back".

I suggest if you really want to train your doggies, watch "It's Me or the Dog" on Animal Planet. Victoria Stilwell is awesome
September 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
I also think that sounds like kind of submissive peeing ( the female ) - the trash? I depends on the food drive of the dog how you can handle this. A bigger trash box would be of advantage. I also think the dogs should be left outside for 10 - 15 minutes a least 4-5 times a day for peeing and pooping if they are used to it.
September 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM
The female is let outside for 20+ minutes, unless she starts harassing the neighbors with her barking. She will come inside and 10 minutes later pee on the floor.. even if nobody is near her. To me, it just doesn't seem submissive.. Nobody is around. What does she have to submit to?
And the male has a crate, but my mom doesn't want to use it anymore..
the female does not. She grew out of hers.

September 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well as I've said before, if the whole household isn't on board no technique will work anyway, secondly if your parents aren't willing to use training tools it definitely won't work.

At the end fo the day they're their dogs. IMO not letting an animal out to use the bathroom really borders on cruelty, so unless you're willing to turn something like this over to animal control or really sit your parents down and see about getting everyone on board (if the male is peeing in the house the female is going to smell it and she's going to go there too because they go by smell) then there's unfortunately not much that can be done.
September 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
SoCal Mommy's Avatar Connor & Hayden's Mom
What a horrible situation... I hope this does not come off as rude, but I honestly think your parents should NOT have animals of any kind, if they cannot offer proper upkeep and upbringing.

Would they object to placing the dogs with a rescue or in another home environment where they will receive proper care and training?

September 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Mommy View Post
What a horrible situation... I hope this does not come off as rude, but I honestly think your parents should NOT have animals of any kind, if they cannot offer proper upkeep and upbringing.

Would they object to placing the dogs with a rescue or in another home environment where they will receive proper care and training?
I would have to agree.
September 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Mommy View Post

I'm thinking they'd object and then disown me
but recently they've gotten better at keeping on top of their dogs behaviors

September 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Glad things are improving somewhat.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 9th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
IMO not letting an animal out to use the bathroom really borders on cruelty
I agree. I read that in Germany, animal protection services have as guidelines that dogs should be left outside at least 4 times a day and they should at least have 1 hour of running around outside altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMommy View Post
The female is let outside for 20+ minutes, unless she starts harassing the neighbors with her barking. She will come inside and 10 minutes later pee on the floor.. even if nobody is near her. To me, it just doesn't seem submissive.. Nobody is around. What does she have to submit to?
And the male has a crate, but my mom doesn't want to use it anymore..
the female does not. She grew out of hers.
Now you described that the dog pees inside even when it is not under psychological stress. That requires training IMO. Basically having the dog crated inside or very controlled ( like staying in her place while the dog is sleeping, for example) especially when the dog did not pee just before and when one is not sure if the dog needs to pee or not. It may take a while until the dog is used to pee outside and one has to be consistent IMO!
ETA as long as the dog has pee "accidents" in the house, I would probably have the dog outside for more than 1 hours per day ( better 1.5 - 2 hours per day or more ). And more often outside ( like 6 - 7 times per day ) for "deconditioning" the inside peeing. But it would be best if someone observes if the dog pees outside or not, because then you know how urgent it is when the dog is inside again.

Last edited by elsi2009; September 9th, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
September 9th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi2009 View Post
I agree. I read that in Germany, animal protection services have as guidelines that dogs should be left outside at least 4 times a day and they should at least have 1 hour of running around outside altogether.

Now you described that the dog pees inside even when it is not under psychological stress. That requires training IMO. Basically having the dog crated inside or very controlled ( like staying in her place while the dog is sleeping, for example) especially when the dog did not pee just before and when one is not sure if the dog needs to pee or not. It may take a while until the dog is used to pee outside and one has to be consistent IMO!
ETA as long as the dog has pee "accidents" in the house, I would probably have the dog outside for more than 1 hours per day ( better 1.5 - 2 hours per day or more ). And more often outside ( like 6 - 7 times per day ) for "deconditioning" the inside peeing. But it would be best if someone observes if the dog pees outside or not, because then you know how urgent it is when the dog is inside again.
The male isn't out as much as he should be,
but the female is. At least 5 times a day, for 20min-1 1/2 hours or so, depending on her behavior..

September 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMommy View Post
The male isn't out as much as he should be,
but the female is. At least 5 times a day, for 20min-1 1/2 hours or so, depending on her behavior..
So dog are not machines and 20 minutes might not always be sufficient for the dog to pee. IDK how is the probabilty that the females pees inside when she was outside for a longer time like 40 minutes? If she is outside for 20 minutes and one knows that she did not pee, one should consider leaving her outside soon again. Especially when one expects her to pee. But you say she pees even if she already peed outside? Also there might be an increased probabilty when the dog is on a walk that the dog pees, that depends on the dog. But I would probably try to crate the dog to prevent that she pees inside.
Why does the male dog not join the female to go outside? Does the male dog refuse to be outside without owner in the yard?
September 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
No, he doesn't..
but the female is about 50lbs and he's only 5.. the chances of her crushing him to death while trying to play is HUGE. She's VERY clumsy and doesn't know her own strength..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search