Litter Box Training an older cat?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Innocentlildevil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Innocentlildevil
Hi! I'm just popping in here If I have time between kids, school and all that you may see me here more often. I'm Kelly. I just moved from my house into an apartment. Unfortunately I couldn't take my wonderful dog, Molly, with me. I found her an amazing new home though and they even send me updates on her <3 However this post is about my cat. He's about 4 years old and has been an indoor/outdoor cat his whole life.

Luckily I was able to keep him when I moved. However, he has gone from coming and going freely to being a strictly indoor cat. The lazy bum stayed inside most of the time anyway so being inside all the time doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. My problem is getting him to use the litter box. I show it to him and he freaks and runs away. He started using my (new) bathroom rug. So I moved the litter box onto the bathroom rug.... So now he goes to the bathroom NEXT to the litter box

Anyone have any tips on getting my silly kitty to use the litter box?
August 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It could be the type of litter you are using and if the box is covered. You may need to start with it uncovered until he gets used to it, then try to cover it. We had issues with a cat for a while and we started using that Cat Attract litter and it worked almost immediately. It is expensive, so we only used it until the issue was resolved and then we gradually switched over to Arm and Hammer Essentials. You can also buy a cat nip spray and spray it in and around the litter box and that should attract him to the box. Good luck!

August 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can also pick up his feces when he goes outside of the box and put it INSIDE the box (the smell of having "gone" there before should attract him). Also you will need to wash your rug REALLY well, I'd recommend a baking soda, peroxide, and HOT water mix with some laundry soap and letting it soak for 2-3 days then washing.
September 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Innocentlildevil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Innocentlildevil
Thanks for the tips!!! I'll be trying them all out! The box currently is uncovered but I also have a liner in it... I think I'm gonna have to remove that and switch to the cat attract litter. And of course that rug needs that major TLC
September 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
Rubber backed rugs really attract cats to pee on them.. We've pretty much given up on having rubber backed rugs.. There are other types of nonslip backing that do not attract cats too pee on them, but, I can't think of what they're called.

Cats who are accustomed to going outside will usually only use an open box and usually don't like scented litter..

I like the bulk unscented scoopable litter that they have at Petco in the bin. You buy a carton for around $10, but then can refill it at the bulk refill station for about $6-$7.

Cats that are used to going outside are also very particular about their boxes being clean. You pretty much have to scoop twice a day or they won't use it at all.

(Have a cat just like that.. lol)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search