How?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How did you pick/get your pets?
Was it total chance, impulse or well thought out? I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How did you pick/get your pets? Our 2 cats were from animal control. Well Raven was 5 months old, wild, I spent 3 hours coaxing him and finally caught him. He had to go to animal control, stayed for 3 days nobody claimed him so we adopted him. We were lookign for a cat anyway. Our second cat was adopted as a friend for Raven because he needed a buddy. When he got out right after I had my son gone 5 months we decided he wasn't coming back so we adopted Tiger (then Orion came back 3 months later!) at animal control. Tiger and Orion we got because it was a small town they didn't have many cats and they were big and fat which my husband wanted.

Our first dog we wanted a Boxer so we searched around and found a Boxer rescue in Louisiana and adopted him. Our second we decided to get another Boxer (after we moved here to AZ) so we found a Boxer rescue here. Needed a female who got along with other dogs, cats, and kids, and she fit the bill. After Lucas died we wanted another dog and I really wanted a puppy so the rescue I foster for sent me some info on a white puppy that was for adoption with a reputable breeder (since he's white he can't be bred or shown or sold for profit...adoption only to a pet family only) so we got him. When we decided we wanted a GSD we contacted a few rescues and found Thor through a rescue that pulled him from animal control.

All of our animals were adoptions.

Was it total chance, impulse or well thought out? I NEVER EVER EVER do anything like that on impulse (worst thing a person can do IMO). I researched the breed, we knew what type, age, and gender we wanted that they needed to get along with other dogs, cats, kids, men, and women, and we always discuss it, look at finances, and make sure we can afford another pet, handle another pet, and that it's a whole family decision. And we ALWAYS "sleep on it" for a bit.
September 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Dogs-
My sister's friend's family adopted a pregnant dog from a shelter. A few days after the puppies were born, we went over to see them. I saw Albert and I just knew he belonged with me. I was 15 (well almost 15) at the time and I had to really convince my parents to let me have him. Now 11 years later I still have him and he is one of the best dogs we have ever owned!
My boyfriend and I purchased Jocelynn from a breeder, something we will NEVER DO AGAIN! Joce is a wonderful dog, we love her to death and would never replace her, but at the time we were not aware of the pet population problem and have since vowed to only adopt/rescue dogs and cats.

Cats-
My mom's friend was having a baby and didn't want her cat anymore so she gave Elaine to my mom, who gave her to me. I had just moved out and my mom thought I was lonely.
We adopted Roo Roo from a rescue. Her mother was feral. I believe after the kittens were weaned they spayed and released her, but not sure? I saw Roo's picture online and I just got that feeling again, that she belonged with us, and she does.
The new kitty arrived a couple weeks ago. My sister's cat roams outside and a kitten followed him home. My sister gave the kitten some food, but something scared her and she ran off. The next day, Arthur was out and the kitten followed him home again! We were going to rehome her, but she fits in so well with everyone, we think she is going to stay. She still needs a name though!

Blue Tongue Skink-
I used to work at a pet store and Ollie was in their sick room with Metabolic Bone Disease. He had been in there for months. Something about him intrigued me, so I started researching blue tongues and his disease. The only reason he ever got sick is because the employees HAD NO IDEA how to care for him. If he had been given proper care he would have never developed MBD. We decided to adopt him. The disease is incurable, but he is living a happy life now.

Ball pythons/Red Tail Boas-
We purchase snakes based on the quality of the morph (color/pattern) and the reputation of the breeder.

September 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
jessicams
First cat- Her name is Tamland. She's 2. She was a birthday present from my hubby. We got her at a shelter. She's named Tamland after Brick Tamland in Anchorman. There's a scene in Anchorman where Brick says "I love lamp." When we were bringing her home the look on her face was "I love lap" so she became Tamland.

Second cat- Her name is Tiger. She's 1. My hubby found her and her sister abandoned at his work one night. They couldn't have been more than 6 weeks old and they were just too darn cute. We brought them home. We kept Tiger and gave her sister to his grandfather (who's wife had recently passed after 60+ years of marriage). Her name is Tiger because she looks like one.
September 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
The kittens Lily, Baby and Mittens were at an animal shelter. We went in looking for an older cat. We had been searching for the right cat for our family for a couple weeks. We all just fell in love with the three kittens. They loved the kids and the kids loved them. So we brought them all home . They are all black all female. Baby loves to sleep on our heads , Lily is a purr machine and Mittens is the trouble maker.
Dottie is our Great Dane that we recently adopted. We started researching the breed years ago and finally we were in a position to make it happen. So we started looking for a breeder. We found a great one but things changed and she wasn't going to have a litter until next spring. So we said no problem, we were already approved through the local rescue and if the right one comes along great if not we will get a puppy in the spring. Well then a few kid friendly danes came into rescue and we meet them. We knew the min we meet her that she was ours. We love her so much. She has been a great addition to our family.
The fish were small fish in a small tank and then we grew into bigger fish. Now we have a salt water tank and a fresh water tank. They are fun to watch.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
DH wanted to adopt a new kitty from the shelter for Xmas two years ago so that's what we did. We went to the ASPCA filled out the forms and was matched up with certain cat personality types. Out of the matches it seemed that Troy had picked us when we went around looking at the kitties available. Now he's the best cat we've ever had. I love my huge fluff ball to pieces.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hubby loved the idea of a boxer so we bought a book and read up on them, we weren't able to have a dog in the townhouse we were in. When we moved into the house we talked the landlord into letting us get a dog. Actually hubby surprised me with Mollie by coming home with her one day. I think his mind was getting ready for him to deploy and thought it would be a good idea to get a dog to keep me company while he was gone.
September 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I love animal stories. Here are ours...
Lu is almost 7 yrs, a yellow shepherd mix. I got her the day after Christmas 2003. I had recently lost my dog and wanted another. I was looking for a yellow, labish looking shelter dog. We drove 3 hours to get her and she was perfect. Two days later she developed parvo, but my wonderful vet managed to get her thru it. She is the best dog I've ever had. She's my dog of a lifetime!

Murphy is a lab terrier mix from a rescue. We got him for our one year anniversary. Hubby wanted a shepherd, I wanted a lab, we wound up with a Murphy. He is great and always keeps us laughing.

My horse Rialto was purchased after losing my show horse. I'd had my eye on him as a yearling and after Sterling passed we decided to buy him.

Wiind, my new show horse was given to me as a 4yr old by a friend. She had had him for 3.5 yrs and wasn't doing anything with him. He's amazing- what a gift!

Devon came with Wiind. He is used for my lesson program and is a super pony. Also a fantastic gift. We are lucky to have him.

Lucius actually jumped into our pasture last Labor Day weekend. He belonged to my neighbor, but didnt get along in their pasture. Somehow or another he ended up ours!

That's our story, we love all our guys!

September 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Hopefully you don't mind if I answer This will be LONG!

Our Dogs;

Dakota, our coonhound/beagle mix was a rescue dog. We got her after our Lab/Rottie mix died of cancer, and it was semi planned out. My parents wanted a beagle, but settled on a mix.

Bear, our pomeranian, was bought about 1 month after our purebred rottie was put down. To me, it seemed very impulsive, but my parents did take a while emailing and talking with the breeder.

Cats;
Tiger is mine. Or was. My parents got her for me when I was about 5 and my hamster had passed away. I think it was impulsive, but she's an amazing cat. Very very anti-social unless she's in the mood for love. She'd make an awesome only pet, because she HATES all the other animals.

Pounce was purchased for my mom. He's our only purebred cat and is a persian. My stepdad got him for my mom for their anniversary. He's such an awesome cat, but very needy. He follows you around (as long as it's not where the pom is!) and meows. Even to the bathroom!

Angel was definitely an impulsive choice. A neighbor had a cat who had kittens about 8 weeks before and all were gone.. except Angel. She was taken home with someone but then brought back. I brought her home and my sister, who was 1 or 2 at the time, fell in love. Oddly, we named her Angel but my sister called her "Shanah" for around 6+ months. It was strange.

Little man, who is 15lbs of muscle and length and not little at all, is Angel's kitten. She got out one day, as she used to quite often, and wasn't fixed. Yes, bad.. I know. She was about 2 at the time..maybe 3.
The weeks passed and we just KNEW she was pregnant.. my mom's father used to breed cats. We thought there'd be two or three kittens, since we felt movement on both sides.
But she went overdue and had no signs of labor, so as a precaution my mom brought her to the vet. They did and X-ray and found that there was one kitten..and he was sideways.
One emergency c-section later, we had a kitten who was double the size of the average newborn kitten. And he grew at the same rate. We decided after spending $1000 on a c-section to have him in this world, we'd keep him. He's the best of our cats. He's so sweet, plays with the dogs, acts like a dog himself.. He also allows my daughter to pet him. He and his mother are the only two cats that allow it.

Birds;
Whisper is a parakeet. I was supposed to get a Conure. My grandmother bought the conure for me, with my moms permission, for $400 or so. But my mom changed her mind and told me I need to clean my room 100000000% first. About 2 weeks later I got the go ahead to get my bird, which was at my aunts for the time being. Well, my aunt outright refused to give me the bird and my grandmother went and bought me a parakeet instead..

Little Boy, who actually has no true name, is an English Budgie. He was a gift from my grandfather, since I was interested in showing English Budgies.. However, he isn't show quality at all, but makes a great pet!

Silly Bird is a cockatiel. I was given her by my aunt, who said she didn't have time for her (different aunt than the one who had 'my' bird). She mysteriously left out that the bird had been overbred, left in a cage with TWO male birds, and had a plucking problem. However, now she's in a large cage with a parakeet who grooms her and an english budgie who dances around her. They all get along AMAZINGLY. She still plucks (or her feathers are ruined. I'm not sure. I've never seen her pluck, but she's missing feathers on her back), but I've gotten her to stop laying eggs constantly. She's doing much much better, but now prefers not to be touched and I respect that.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search