One more question..

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Our 5lb pomeranian is a binky eater!
My daughter has binkies (pacifiers) to help her sleep and soothe her when she is fussy..
but she also tends to drop them or toss them..and within seconds our dog will steal the binky and chew the nipple off. I've tried showing him the chewed binky and saying "NO" firmly, but to no avail. RIGHT after I correct him, he will avoid the binky at all costs.. but then he goes after the next one she drops.
In the past 2 days we have lost FOUR binkies..
2 to his chewing, 1 to her losing it and 1 that we think the dog stole, but haven't found yet.
We are on our last binky..and I just bought a pack last week! I can't be going through 2 packs of them a week..they're $4 or so per pack!
Someone..ANYONE..
What can we do to stop him? It's getting really annoying.

and yes, I have tried crating him after he gets one. I've tried saying "Leave it" when I catch him trying to take one.. but I can't sit and watch him and her 24/7 to make sure none are taken..

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
September 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There's really not a whole lot you can do other than to make sure they don't end up on the floor. And I'd be very careful for a dog that size they could easily cause an obstruction if he continues to eat them. Can you get one fo those things that clips to your daughter's clothes and clips to the pacifier so if she "drops" it it'll just hang from her clothes? If you catch the dog with it, take it away from him and give him something he CAN chew on in it's place (bone, toy, whatever) and he may eventually realize that he is not supposed to chew on it. But your best bet would be to make sure the pacifiers don't end up on the floor in the first place. You don't say how old your daughter is...is it possible to teach HER not to drop them and throw them instead? May be easier.

Also if she's only using them when she's sleeping maybe close the door to her bedroom so the dog cannot go in there.
September 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had an answer for you. We had a papillon that did this with DS's pacis. Except she would lick his cheek and wait for him to slightly open his mouth then take off with it. My DS is now a thumb sucker.

So I wish you all the best. (She later went to destroy bottle nipples.)
September 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Oh.. she's 7 months old..so not quite old enough to realize she shouldn't be dropping them.
He does chew on bottle nipples too My mom feeds her when I'm in class (which currently, I am not, but start the 20th) for 4 hours and if she so much as leaves it on my younger sisters' table, he will steal it and chew off the nipple.
And he is not allowed in our room (we share a room), but she also naps in our livingroom..and I can't keep him out of there. Small house!

I do my best to keep him away from them, but it only takes a second for her to drop it and for him to take it..and I usually don't realize he's had it until I find it 1 minute later with the nipple chewed off.
I may use her clip, but I've noticed that if she has her binky in her mouth and turns her head with it clipped to her clothing, it will pop out and she freaks out..
I wish they made longer clips!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
September 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can also try a can with pennies in it. You shake it once when he takes it. But you hvae to catch him in the act (as with any training method).

Also don't use the crate as a punishment, sure fire way to get him to hate his crate.
September 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
Is there anything harmless that can be put on an extra "training" binkie ( not the binkie of LO ! ) and that the dog does not like? If you repeat that several times, maybe he would also ignore the binkies of your LO then.
ETA: maybe ask a vet, maybe it needs to be something that tastes bitter and that does not smell too much

Last edited by elsi2009; September 11th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
September 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi2009 View Post
Is there anything harmless that can be put on an extra "training" binkie ( not the binkie of LO ! ) and that the dog does not like? If you repeat that several times, maybe he would also ignore the binkies of your LO then.
ETA: maybe ask a vet, maybe it needs to be something that tastes bitter and that does not smell too much
Bitter Apple spray is really the only thing. Most dogs like things in vinegar, lemon, things that would be bitter for us. But many use bitter apple spray for places they do not want their dog to chew.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search