Do you think it's fair...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
for rental establishments to have breed/weight restrictions on pets?
Is it fair to allow some pets, but not others?

September 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I think its a bunch of bunk personally. I know they put labels on "bully breeds" but its not the dog its the owner and I don't think its right to label the whole breed. We have never been little dog people so renting and pets wasn't an option for a long time. Now we own our house so we finally got our great dane.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It actually isn't the rental places usually it's the insurance companies. Their insurance companies view a lot of the working breeds as an insurance liability therefore that gets passed down to the apartment/building owner. I actually pay a bit more per year on my homeowner's insurance because I own Boxers and a GSD than if I had no dog or a Golden Retriever.

I don't think it's fair, but I also don't take it out on the rental establishment as I know it's typically the insurance companies that are behind the decision.
September 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it usually comes from the insurance companies (I have discussed it with a rental agent before), so change the question: should insurance companies be allowed to discriminate against certain types of pets?
Some apartment complexes are more strict with the rules than others. We have rented with our pit bull before, listing her as a boxer mix. The first place didn't care at all, as long as your pet didn't cause any issues. There were several pits and a huge boxer/ridgeback mix living there.
The second place allowed almost all breeds of dogs under 80 pounds except Akitas, Rotties and Pits. My dog never once had any issues with any of the other dogs or tenets, yet we were questioned several times on her breed (mostly by this one bitter/angry woman). Thankfully most people are idiots when it comes to dogs, so they always believed us when we told them boxer mix. Another man living in that same complex had a GSD that had major dog aggression issues and even snapped at me once, but management didn't care about his dog living there.
If you have a dog that weighs over 50 pounds it is almost impossible to find a place to rent and I truly believe that a lot more people would keep their pets if there were more places available for them to live. If I remember correctly, in Canada rental establishments are not allowed to discriminate against breeds and I wish it was that way here.
We are trying to move across town and with housing market in the crapper many agents are insisting that we rent for a few months in between home purchases, but with the number of pets and the type of pets we own, I know that will be almost an impossibility and I am not going to give them up for 3-6 months of renting.

September 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Look into renting a house versus an apartment. Most house rentals (especially right now) do not care if you have pets. My in laws have rented their entire lives and always had anywhere from 1-4 dogs all in the 60-100 pound range Boxers, GSD mixes, a GSD, Golden mix, etc along with anywhere from 1-3 cats (yes sometimes all at the same time) and at one point a bird as well and they've never had any issues renting houses. It's all about finding the right place and right now with the housing market as bad as it is houses that are up for rent people are just happy to get renters in most areas.

Also be careful on lying about the breed, if something were to happen and they called you on it they can now require DNA testing to find out the breed of the dog. Unless you know for sure your dog has Boxer in it (in which case you're not lying).

And I don't necessarily agree with it however I can understand it. Obviously if a rottie or pit or GSD or Boxer or any of your larger dogs were to attack someone it's going to cause a whole lot more damage (ie more money for the insurance company) than if a Chihuahua were to attack someone. So where I don't find larger dogs more aggressive on a whole, when they DO become aggressive they do a whole lot more damage. So from an insurance standpoint I can understand it.

Last edited by SpazTaz; September 15th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
September 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNewestPhelps
I agree. We have two pits and I wouldn't have it any other way, but when asked, we tell them they're staffys. Most people don't make the connection to staffordshire terrier as a bully breed, or tell the difference between staffys and pits. Luckily we'll own a home soon so it won't be an issue any longer. But when I lived in Killeen near Ft. Hood (Apparently, there is a BSL issued on all Military bases now) the apartment had a strict pet policy, yet the landlord who lived directly beneath us owned a HUGE pitbull. Who knows. I know it's the insurance. My parents were talking about how home owners insurance was about to go way up if you own a bully. Not sure if it's happened or not yet. I think it's ridiculous. If someone abuses their right as a responsible pitbull owner, and their dog attacks someone or something, THEY should have to pay for it.

I understand the damage meter mentioned above, and it makes sense. But at the same time, I think people are way too strict on pits and bully breeds alone. The people who started the Boudreaux bloodline lost all 52 or so of their dogs because they had a treadmill or something along those lines. It was considered "fighting paraphanilia used to strengthen dogs for fights".

I don't think insurance should "not cover" large breed dogs. Make it more expensive? Sure. Just like insurance on a sports car is higher than on a pick up truck. People are prone to make bad decisions and need help.

So, I think if you own a large breed dog in an apartment, your insurance should just be higher instead of them telling you that you can't own the dog and live there.

Just my opinion... Er... OpinionS. lol. Sorry, just a touchy subject for me and my family.

Thank you Zarziza for my perfect siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search