Okay I lied.. One more!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
What can I use that is baby safe but repels cats?
Our cat, who is a loner so I can't figure out why she's doing it, has been going out of her way to pee on my daughter's things.
The carseat is a main target. I've taken to not leaving it within her reach, but my mom left it out last night. The carseat won't last 5 minutes in the livingroom before the cat pees on it.
Then there's the bouncy seat.. She peed on it ONCE, and hasn't since.
Then last night? The pack n play my daughter plays in.
I can't be folding and unfolding it every time I leave the room.

I can't figure out what she has against the baby. She didn't do this with my 5 year old sister (though at the time, she was a young cat. She's about 5ish or 6 now)
She isn't being neglected with attention.. she prefers to be left alone actually.
I've seriously considered getting rid of her.. but she isn't my cat and I'd feel terrible doing it behind my parents back...
but my child can't be sat in a cat-pee coated carseat..and I usually don't realize it's peed in until we HAVE to leave (like for her Dr.'s appointment today..)

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
September 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have heard of cats doing this to baby's belongings. They get jealous or something so they start peeing on all their things. I've never tried it, but I have heard to put lemon peel in areas that you don't want cats to be in/on because they don't like the smell of it.
You can put foil down in your pack'n'play when your baby isn't in it and when the cat jumps in the texture and sound of the foil should scare the cat away.
You'll just have to stay on top of things and make sure the carseat and the bouncer are put up when they aren't in use. I know it's a PITA, but prevention is key. If you can stop it from happening it is less likely to continue happening. GOOD LUCK!!!!

September 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Oooh I like the tin foil idea!!
Thanks so much!

Any idea how to get the smell of cat pee out of a pack n play mattress?
I hosed it down and it's outside sunning to dry, but I'm not 100% sure that will work.
And I'm usually on top of the bouncy and car seat. My mom forgot to put the car seat up or something last night, I guess.. or the cat jumped in the pack n play and peed twice. I'm not sure which is the case.

September 15th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would soak the spot in diluted white vinegar and then scrub it out with baking soda. That should get it out.

September 15th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you!! I'll do it asap tomorrow morning!

September 15th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One of the girls here, Annie, made a "recipe" for cat urine remover. I had my cat urinate on my bathroom rug and I tried EVERYTHING, vinegar, baking soda, nature's miracle, and many other things to no avail. I tried her recipe and let it soak in the washing machine and it worked like a charm. Recipe is cheap, simple, and listed below:

It's 16 oz hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp liquid dish soap (she used lemon but you can use any kind).
. You mix it around, pour it on the spot, and then scrub the heck out of it with a hard bristle scrub brush. Depending on how bad it is you may need to do it more than once once it dries. It's amazing!!!

Hope that helps some!

If you do it in the washer, I filled my washer on the large cycle, poured in about half a bottle of baking soda, a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide, used some Clorox 2 (my rugs were black) and then regular laundry soap. I then let it soak in the washer in this mixture for 2 days and then let the washer run and the smell was totally gone.

Also the key for not having it reoccur is to get the smell out. Cats urinate out of habit and smell so breaking the cycle and the smell is key. Also I'd recommend taking the cat to the vet to make sure he/she isn't sick. Going out of the box and on things is one possible sign of being ill for cats.
September 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
SoCal Mommy's Avatar Connor & Hayden's Mom
Meghan beat me to it! Glad she posted the recipe to remove the urine odor! It works, I PROMISE.

I've used it over and over and over again... On carpets, couches, bedding, throw rugs...

I am a multi-cat household, and I also foster and rehab (very rarely now, but used to frequently) and often this recipe would save my hyde when some of my temporaries had "accidents".

Good luck!

September 15th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep Annie I've used it now on my rug by my back door actually for really concentrated dog urine that just wouldn't come out and it worked for that, and have used it on 2 throw rugs and a towel as well for cat urine.

You should bottle that stuff and make your millions LoL.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search