I'd like you to meet...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM
SoCal Mommy's Avatar Connor & Hayden's Mom
Our newest additions...

We'll start with the newest dog... Earlier this year I got a phone call from my mom about a black German Shepherd who was running about on one of the busier, more dangerous streets out here. She knew I would go help any animal, but especially with it being a GSD. I packed up the kids and headed over, and sure enough, he was wandering all over the road, causing a major back up for traffic. Another lady pulled over with me and we attempted to catch him, but he was skittish, and the best we could do was chase him down a dirt road away from the street. I decided to go to Petco and pick up some dog food, and on the way home I would back track and try one more time. Well, by the time I returned, he was back on the road. It took nearly an hour, a lot of coaxing, and BOTH of us nearly being hit by a car, but I finally managed to coax him up to my hand to reach for some food. As soon as his nose touched my fingertips, I snagged him. I knew there was potential for being bit, but I didn't care. I wanted that dog off that street. He didn't bite, though, and I slipped my leather lead over his neck and walked him to my SUV. He was in bad shape. Took him home and bathed him out front with the hose to get the burrs and stickers out of him, then took him to the vet. Had them do a physical, update all of his shots including rabies, deworm him, a skin scraping, and check for a microchip. He was 30 lbs underweight, but other than that, he was okay. I took him home, started working on his weight, crate training, and socializing. After a couple months, I put him up for adoption. Twice he went to what we thought would be great homes. Twice he came back because they couldn't handle him. He's not perfect, he definitely has his "quirks", so my husband and I talked, and decided to just keep him. We can deal with his issues.

His name is Uli. When I found him, he was estimated at 11 months old, so he is now about 1 1/2.
We've had him neutered and he is settling down a bit, but still working on his manners.

Next, our new kitties... In March, we lost our beloved Murphy (Norwegian Forest Cat) to lymphoma. Broke my heart into a thousand pieces. I still get teary when I think about him, he was my lovebug. I was browsing the internet a little over a month ago, and came across a shelter down the hill about forty five minutes... I began casually browsing the cats. All of a sudden I came across an ad for a cream & white DLH kitty named Chowder. My heart nearly stopped. He could be Murphy's twin!! I talked to my husband about going to see him, and he said I could. I drove down the next day to meet him, and fell in love. Chowder was actually BORN at that shelter on Halloween 2008. He'd lived about 3/4 of his life there, was adopted once but returned a couple of months later when the child "developed allergies". He lived in a cat room with about twenty other cats. They took good care of them there, but how sad... I adopted him that day and brought him home. I am fairly certain the people who had him prior beat on him, he is very skittish and ducks with his eyes squinted when you try to pet him. Poor bubba.

Our other two kitties are brothers, DSH's that came from a local high kill shelter.

We took the kids and two of our dogs and attended a local pet expo a couple weekends back, and our little cat lover Connor went right up to the adoptable cats and kittens in the cages. My husband wanted to adopt the blue tabby, and I managed to talk him into his blue tabby and white brother - I said, How can we separate brothers?? He reluctantly agreed, but I had to agree that I would no longer raise orphans or do foster/rescue/rehab work with cats. We have 9 cats now, and he doesn't want any others in the home - even temporarily. I was fine with that, because honestly, as much as I loved doing it, it was taxing too. The time, effort, heartache... Now I get to dote on just our cats and they wont lose any of my attention to needy cats.

Here's some photos of when we first met them, and after they came home.
They are "teenagers", 9 months old. In a VERY rambunctious stage, but are total sweethearts!
They act more like dogs than cats, very personable, not afraid of anything.

This is Tucson.

And this is Bisbee.

Annnndddddd finally, LOL... My brother called me yesterday and asked me if I could take in an abandoned bunny that his girlfriend had. He knows I know bunnies, so he thought I would be the best person to ask. They brought him over today, he's a cutie! He is a blue vienna marked Netherland Dwarf (probably mixed, otherwise he is a normal). I named him Eros, for the god of love, because the nose marking on his face looks like an upside down heart. Not sure if he is going to remain with us as a house bunny (he is 100% litterbox trained), or if I will adopt him out...

Last edited by SoCal Mommy; September 24th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
September 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh those are all so adorable! And beautiful stories to go with them. You are my hero! Thank you for saving the all!
September 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
So cute thanks for sharing pictures and stories.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Very pretty doggie, kitties, and bunny (LOVE the bunny's nose hehe). Dang woman you must have a FULL FULL house! Hope you all are doing well!
September 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
SoCal Mommy's Avatar Connor & Hayden's Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Very pretty doggie, kitties, and bunny (LOVE the bunny's nose hehe). Dang woman you must have a FULL FULL house! Hope you all are doing well!
You know that old saying, "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart"? I think it applies! LOL

I stay busy, yes! But I like it that way. Since having the kids, I have become somewhat of a hermit, don't really care for the company of other people, enjoy being home with my kids and animals. Fortunately, we have a nice roomy home and a decent piece of land, so it doesn't feel too crowded, LOL. I just realized that most of my cats are rescues, and that makes me feel so good I could burst!

September 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, all of my animals are rescues as well, it's very nice.

Yeah I had to give up fostering which I'm really bummed about so I can understand the helping out deal for sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search